PDA

View Full Version : How do you move min, max, close buttons to the right side?

Melhisedek
September 5th, 2011, 11:15 PM
The old way of ALT+F2 than gconf-editor doesn't work in 11.10

drs305
September 5th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I don't know what customizations I might have made, but for me the gconf-editor's setting for:

/apps/metacity/general/button_layout
still moves the buttons to the left/right depending on whether the colon (:) starts or ends the setting.

Melhisedek
September 5th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Thing is when I type gconf-editor nothing shows up :/

drs305
September 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM
If you type "which gconf-editor" does it return "/usr/bin/gconf-editor"? If not, you may have to install it.

I've been using gconf-editor and dconf tools, hoping that eventually the dconf editor will be as useful as gconf-editor has been over the years.

Melhisedek
September 5th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Which command didn't return anything so I had to download it :) Thanks mate I would never think of it :)

drs305
September 5th, 2011, 11:44 PM
If you haven't installed it, dconf-tools provides the 'dconf-editor' app. Either it isn't fully developed yet or I just haven't learned how to use it, but it's another app that will be necessary for tweaking settings going forward.

You might want to leave the thread open for a while to see if others offer more information on the tweak integration in Oneiric, but once you are satisfied please mark the thread SOLVED with the "Thread Tools" link near the top right of the original post.

Melhisedek
September 5th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Will do thanks. Just wish buttons would stay on the right side even when maximized :/ If anyone knows of a way please let me know.
Using Unity ofc

seattle vic
September 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
For some reason, today my buttons moved back to the left and making the changes I've made before in gconf-editor /apps/metacity/general/button layout have no effect.

jerrylamos
September 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM
For previous Ubuntu's I would select ClearLooks.
That put the buttons on the right where I expect.

For some reason never stated Ubuntu Development doesn't like ClearLooks.

For some reason never stated Ubuntu Development wants the close/min/max buttons on the left side.

So I use Ocelot the way "they" want it, looking for bugs as a tester.

I frequently use Narwhal, Meerkat, Lynx LTS the way "I" want it.

The "advertising" on Ubuntu still says customizable, but it's getting harder.

Jerry

cariboo907
September 7th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Isn't easier to just leave the buttons on the left? One of the complaints when Unity first came out was to much mouse movement. Moving the buttons to the right makes you move the mouse even more.

alexvy13
September 7th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Just use ubuntu tweak tool

seattle vic
September 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I've been used to buttons on the right for probably 30 years and it's hard to change.

I just want to know if this is a recent bug (seems like they were on the right a day ago) or is it just no longer customizable.

seattle vic
September 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM

I just tried it and it has no effect on the button placement. Right now nothing will either move the buttons or change their order, neither tweak or gconf-edit.

rturner
September 8th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Mine didn't show up on the right until I rebooted.

seattle vic
September 8th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Mine didn't show up on the right until I rebooted.

Yes, that worked for me also.

JonM33
September 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
At first I didn't like them on the left side, I believed that to be too similar to Mac OS X location. But after time, given the way that Ubuntu Unity is on the left side I found it a lot quicker and easier to navigate when the close/min/max buttons on the left.

Use it that way for a little bit and you will see. You move your mouse shorter distances because of that.

Longinus00
September 8th, 2011, 11:48 PM
At first I didn't like them on the left side, I believed that to be too similar to Mac OS X location. But after time, given the way that Ubuntu Unity is on the left side I found it a lot quicker and easier to navigate when the close/min/max buttons on the left.

Use it that way for a little bit and you will see. You move your mouse shorter distances because of that.

Too bad the scroll bars are on the right still. If you scroll a bit and want to close the window you'll be moving the mouse way more. Hopefully they'll move the scrollbar and the resize grabber to the left side as well! Then unity will be perfect.

freedomAboveAll
September 9th, 2011, 12:00 AM
The 'New Wave' Theme moves buttons to the right side in 11.04.

super key > Appearance

jerrylamos
September 9th, 2011, 02:27 AM

I'll bite, what is the CODE to get the "ubuntu tweak tool" to run?

I tried command line
it said tweak wasn't installed.
sudo apt-get install tweak
... did the install. try to use it:

jerry@Compaq:~$ tweak
usage: tweak [-f] [-l] [-e] filename
or tweak -D to write default tweak.rc to stdout

?

Thanks, Jerry

drs305
September 9th, 2011, 02:31 AM
@ jerrylamos,

It's ubuntu-tweak. I have notes on how to install it in the "Rm_Kernel" link in my signature line.

3rdalbum
September 9th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I've been used to buttons on the right for probably 30 years and it's hard to change.

Since 1981? The Apple Lisa didn't have window buttons.

Try changing. It took me about five days and now I find I can deal with them on either side without even having to think.

JonM33
September 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Too bad the scroll bars are on the right still. If you scroll a bit and want to close the window you'll be moving the mouse way more. Hopefully they'll move the scrollbar and the resize grabber to the left side as well! Then unity will be perfect.

I just use my middle mouse scroll. Works without a problem. Haven't used scroll bars in years.

Tekno.Statik
September 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Ubuntu Tweak worked for me, every so often something would cause the buttons to go to the left again, in fact I noticed for the past week I've had them on the left. lol I must be getting somewhat used to them, but Ubuntu Tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/) works on 10.04.

I just noticed when I went to their website; it specifies that Tweak is for 10.10 and older versions of Ubuntu.

You may have to get used to using purely the mouse scroll for everything, forget about the scroll bar.

But here's something I am following up on adjusting the mouse scroll to have more flexibility:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1179448&highlight=mouse+scroll

You must read the whole first page of comments to see where the conversation goes to Mouse scrolling control for Ubuntu.

VanR
September 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM
May sound silly to some, but buttons on the left are a deal breaker for me. Got to have them on the right or I'll use another distro.

markseshop
September 11th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Cant they just have a easy way to move them back this is total BS
this is something ms would pull I love Ubuntu but my love is fading with this BS

Zeta-K
September 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Every time I try to close a program, I open the unity bar!!!

Tekno.Statik
September 12th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I recommend going back to 10.10 and using Ubuntu Tweak, it worked solid for me and it was easy to set up on the Windows options as displayed below:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-09MDXFXDNxI/Tm1ThT85YtI/AAAAAAAACaI/ENed5ptd9VY/s800/Screenshot.png

What's so good about the later versions? 10.04 is far more reliable in my opinion.

cariboo907
September 12th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I recommend going back to 10.10 and using Ubuntu Tweak, it worked solid for me and it was easy to set up on the Windows options as displayed below:

<snip> image removed

What's so good about the later versions? 10.04 is far more reliable in my opinion.

Wait a couple of weeks after 12.04 is released, and it should be just as stable (as stable as ubuntu releases get) as 10.04 is.