PDA

View Full Version : System Monitor using 100% CPU

alexvy13
September 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
so everytime i try to open system monitor it freezes up the whole system and uses 100% CPU. It only started doing this today.
I had the system monitor indicator and i thought maybe it was conlficting so i exited it and then tried the app but it still froze up.
I uninstalled it, and it would still freeze.
I then installed the system load indicator (the one that uses colorful graphs) and it would still freeze up
The fan is also running all the time, loud, and it doesnt stop even if stop using the computer for a while.
Could zeitgeist (before i downgraded it) have messed up some hardware and that's why the fan won't stop?
and why is system monitor using so much CPU? When i don't have it open i hardly go above 5% CPU and my memory is low too.
any ideas?

Script Warlock
September 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
check your processes with "top in the terminal and see the culprit.. there's a discussion regarding to zeigeist (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1837836) maybe you can check it out.

alexvy13
September 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM
ive dont top before and it says my CPU is low. it only freezes when i open system monitor and thats when my CPU spikes.

and i've read the zeitgeist thread but my cpu went low again after downgrading it, and it is low, except for when i open system monitor.

but i think it may have messed some hardware :/ i just logged on to windows and im still getting the high fan speed with low CPU D:

is there a way to lower the cpu fan speed? i know in windows if you change power options this will usually work but its not! :(

dino99
September 5th, 2011, 04:58 PM
sudo apt-get install fancontrol

sudo sensors-detect

sudo pwmconfig

alexvy13
September 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
won't do sensors detect :/

alexvy13
September 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM
problem seems to be fixed; the batter went low and went to sleep and two seconds later when i pushed a button the fan was back to normal! :D

and now system monitor won't freeze! so it was like a random weird fix haha

but software center crashes on trying to install google chrome deb -_- oh well i guess ill just use chromium instead

alexvy13
September 5th, 2011, 06:12 PM
nvm its back -_-

mc4man
September 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM
but software center crashes on trying to install google chrome deb -_- oh well i guess ill just use chromium instead
Both S-C & gdebi will not install google-chrome atm, though dpkg will.
If using dpkg then better to install the add. deps 1st rather then fix broken packages later (that way your sources will get updated for google/chrome

sudo apt-get install libcurl3 libnspr4-0d libxss1
Then
sudo dpkg -i /path/to/your/google-chrome.deb

There is a current bug on this S-C crash but it's private so not generally viewable
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/839113