PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to configure the systray

DC80
September 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hi all,

I have a question about the systemtray in Ubuntu 11.04. I'd like to know how to configure the systemtray. It is not really a problem but it can come in handy. This is what i like to do with it: I used Evolution e-mail client in earlier versions of Ubuntu but since it is "hanging" a lot in newer versions I uninstalled it and starting to use Mozilla's Thunderbird.

Now, in the systemtray is an icon in which you can start Evolution e-mail client among other things. I would like to start thunderbird this way, also write a new message if needed.

How do i alter this or change the "standard" program. I have it already set it to standard in the system settings but this did not work for the systemtray. Google and this forum search function did turn up nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards, DC80

Leshrac
September 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM
You could try this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/messaging-menu-integration/

Or wait a month until 11.10 is released, as far as I know thunderbird will be integrated as the default mail application.

DC80
September 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Thank you for the add-on. It works great but not for the system tray (top side right), i missed the unity icon after installing a new version (6.0). I did this because i wanted to use the lightning plugin/add-on. Ubuntu has currently version 3.x.x. whereas the lightning version (beta 5) is not supporting version 3.x.x anymore. I know that the repo's have the alternative but i like to stay current.

Anyway, thank you.

Krytarik
September 4th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Please see the "General" and "Oneiric's .desktop file" sub-sections here, this works with Thunderbird 6, too:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/06/replace-evolution-with-thunderbird.html#tb5workarounds

Greetings.

DC80
September 5th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Thank you very much. Unfortunately it did not work really. Maybe I'm missing something but it is also a fault of my own because I forgot to mention that I'm a 64-bit user and also my current version is not really installed.

I have a precompiled folder of Thunderbird (6.0.1) in my /opt folder. I did try it but i had to install my add-ons again.

Thanks anyway, I'll wait to 11.10 come out.