PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New 8400GT, severe artifacts and lock-up when Xorg starts.

infested999
September 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
I'm upgrading from a ATI Rage 3D, which worked ok but doesn't support resolutions higher than 800x600. First time I booted up with a new Geforce 8400 GT the screen was just divided in the center, black on the left half, white on the right half. I have never seen a problem like this before so I tried a different LiveCD.

I tried the card with boot the DVI and VGA connectors on another computer and the card was running just find under stock Ubuntu in the other computer. Then I plugged in a Windows XP hard drive on the "broken" computer and it worked just fine.

I booted TinyCoreLinux and ti booted fine, I was able to add 'text' to the boot line in grub.cfg so I can work on it. Next time it booted into tty1 and I removed all packages that started with nvidia-*, hoping that it will boot into either nouveau or vesa. Still the same error every time. Here is the log file I was able to save over scp:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/681409/

What do I try next? I know that it works under Xvesa because TinyCoreLinux was running just fine, and XP was running just find, and stock Ubuntu on my other computer was running just fine.

infested999
September 4th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I've removed all nvidia* related files and nouveau* related files and it's running using the vesa drivers just fine now. It's somewhat of a waste that I bought a fast graphics card and I can't play 720p with it because the official drivers don't work though :(