PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transient streaking with heated GeForce 5500 video card

mark bower
September 3rd, 2011, 05:28 AM
I have 3 GeForce FX5500 video cards, NVIDIA Corp, AGP. They all produce a 1600 x 1200 display on my Planar WS231 monitor (and I am using the analog output). Howver, after the computer is on for about 1/2 hour, horizontal, transient(about every 5 seconds) streaks appear on the screen maybe only a couple of pixels wide, and at random locations. This happens with all 3 of the cards. If I use the M/B video, the display is restricted to a maximum of 1280 x 1024, but no streaking develops.

This seems to be strong evidence that the streaking problem is related to heating in the AGP video cards. When I feel of a location on the top side of the installed card (its fan and heat sink are on the bottom side), there is a very hot to touch area. I have directed extra airflow to that area and see no improvement in eliminating the streaks. The heat sink with the fan is only very mildly warm to the touch.

I have read that an improvement can be had by replacing the thermal grease originally coming with the card?

Has any responder had this problem and/or what may have someone done to eliminate the problem?

mark bower

mark bower
September 5th, 2011, 08:16 PM
bumped for attention.

mark bower
September 8th, 2011, 12:42 AM
o.k., looks like i am not going to get a response so i am giving up on this thread. incidentally, i replaced the thermal grease on one of the video cards and it did not help. i have ordered and going to try out the EVGA GeForce 6200 512mb AGP DDR2 card where some successes are reported.

mark bower