PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No audio on headphones, only on internal speakers

jmarta
September 2nd, 2011, 02:02 AM
Hello
I have a VAIO Model: VPCEH14FM running Ubuntu 11.04, when I connect headphones the sound keep going out to the internal laptop mini-speakers and there is no sound on headphones.

I have tried on alsa-base.conf adding at the end
options snd-hda-intel model=vaio or
options snd-hda-intel model=sony or
some other variants but there is no change

My alsa information:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=c1905301d04acc50cd930afaef8c9347d7781ff7

My lspci output:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b4)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
07:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 (rev 67)
0d:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5209 (rev 01)
13:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

Please recommend

Thank you
:p

jim78880
September 2nd, 2011, 02:48 AM
I am running 11.04 on a HP-dv7, and I have the opposite problem. I have sound on the headset BUT the internal speakers also continue working. I just moved back to Ubuntu from openSuSE and they had a relatively simple fix for this problem. In their /etc/modprobe.d directory they had a file called 50-sound.conf
which contained the following code:

options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5 enable_msi=1
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hda-intel
# 5Dex.54Z4e7pBsC8:SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel_msi
# l4dC.5MBuk33R4dE:ATI Technologies Inc
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel

I'm sure that somewhere in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf There is someplace to make changes similar to this. Can anybody help. It might just fix both of our problems.

Jim

P.S. I just fixed the problem!

JMARTA you might try this and see if it fixes your problem too.

I decided "What the hey, and copied the file I mentioned above (50-sound.conf) into the /etc/modprobe.d directory. I figured the worst that could happen was that I would have to delete it and reboot. Amazingly IT WORKED!!!

Good Luck
Jim

jmarta
September 2nd, 2011, 03:25 AM
Thank you Jim

I copied:
options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5 enable_msi=1
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hda-intel
# 5Dex.54Z4e7pBsC8:SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel_msi
# l4dC.5MBuk33R4dE:ATI Technologies Inc
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel

to the end of the file alsa-base.conf and did not fix the problem.
I copied at the end because all the blogs recommends append these options at the end.

Jorge

September 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
I have tried on alsa-base.conf adding at the end
options snd-hda-intel model=vaio or
options snd-hda-intel model=sony or
some other variants but there is no change

It would work better if you actually used one of the defined models for your system instead of making them up or using fixes from other laptops ;) (Please don't take my condescension too seriously as I realize the alsa model system is completely unintuitive).
Here's the list for your codec. Try thinkpad and ideapad first:

Conexant 5066
=============
laptop Basic Laptop config (default)
hp-laptop HP laptops, e g G60
asus Asus K52JU, Lenovo G560
dell-laptop Dell laptops
dell-vostro Dell Vostro
olpc-xo-1_5 OLPC XO 1.5
ideapad Lenovo IdeaPad U150
thinkpad Lenovo Thinkpad
When you try a new model keyword, use this to reload ALSA:

sudo /usr/sbin/alsa force-reload

jmarta
September 3rd, 2011, 01:22 AM
Thank you very much
It was an excellent recommendation.

It is working now:
Only two of them did not work with external speakers
now testing the microphone reduces the success options.
Finally I selected "ideapad"

It is a summary:
laptop Does not work
hp-laptop Works internal and external speakers; Microphone only external with a little noise
asus Works internal and external speakers; Microphone only external with a little noise
dell-laptop Does not work
dell-vostro Works internal and external speakers; Microphone both internal and external
olpc-xo-1_5 Works internal and external speakers; Microphone does not work
ideapad Works internal and external speakers; Microphone both internal(sounds best) and ext.
thinkpad Works internal and external speakers; Microphone both internal and external

So I have dell-vostro, ideapad and thinkpad as working options but I selected ideapad because the internal microphone sound a little better that others(a little)

Recommendation for others with same problem on same machine:
Add: options snd-hda-intel model=ideapad
at the end of the file with:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Thank you a lot

Jorge

soulman8605
January 4th, 2012, 02:26 AM
excellent suggestion this worked perfectly