PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using the Driver for Nvidia Accelerated Graphics Card

SudoBrittany
September 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Hello there everyone, I own a U31JG-RX092V laptop which I've just installed Ubuntu on. Gotta admit, the operating system is just shy of fantastic.

My laptop has two graphics card, the more discrete Intel HD Media Accelerated (or something) 3000 series, for being on the go, and a far more quick, Nvidia GT410M.

Currently under Additional Drivers it says: NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]. - This driver is activated but not currently in use.

So I'm unable to use Unity, or play my beloved Minecraft properly. Can someone help me to get this graphics driver into use?

Thank you :3

realzippy
September 1st, 2011, 05:17 PM
If you don't have a switch in your BIOS for the graphic devices,
read this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1657660

grahammechanical
September 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
I get the same message and I have done since 11.04 was released. It is a false message that has never been fixed. I also have the Nvidia X Server Settings utility that was installed along with the Nvidia driver. This must be true also for you. It tells me (among other things) that I have the Nvidia driver version 270.41.06

I am also able to use Unity 3D (called Ubuntu in the log in screen). So, why do you say that you cannot run Unity?

The installation process always says that we do not have the hardware to run Unity because it is not using the Nvidia drivers. But now that you have installed the Nvidia drivers you should get Unity.

Regards.

P.S. if you want Fantastic, you must pay for it. If you do not mind Just Shy of Fantastic, then it is a free download.

realzippy
September 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
@grahammechanical

why do you completely ignore that this is a nvidia optimus problem here? :confused: