PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ongoing issues with the Dell mini 1515 wireless card

lowpsitsi
August 31st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Starting in May of 2010, I had taken an interest in Ubuntu and using Linux. I took all the necessary steps to install and run Ubuntu which I believe was 10.04 at the time and it dual booted and started up normally. The OS ran fine until I ran into an issue with no wireless support. The OS simply would not recognize my wireless card or the availability of a wireless network, but would still connect via ethernet cable.

Since then I have been searching forums on and off trying to find a solution to the problem. I have came across a number of other people who also ran into this problem and it was all related to Ubuntu's ability to recognize a driver for the Dell Mini 1515n wireless card. I have installed and uninstalled drivers numerous times since then, and read numerous threads of people fixing their problem, but have not been able to get mine to work. I will work on the rarest of occassions, but is only sporadic and I cannot find any variable that would account for it happening. I'm running a Dell Studio 14. I know there are accounts of others with Dell Studio 14s that have ran Ubuntu successfully, but for some reason mine just wont cooperate. If anybody could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

Enigmapond
August 31st, 2011, 05:47 PM
With Dell you need the Broadcom Driver installed. With a wired connection, navigate to Administration/Hardware Drivers (Or Additional Drivers) and let it download and acvtivate this driver. This should solve the issue. I have been using Ubuntu with Dells...all manner...for quite sometime and it always works...

Cheers!

lowpsitsi
September 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have already tried that a few times. First I will let Ubuntu try to find the driver for itself while connected via ethernet. The OS won't download a driver for the wireless card. Then, I will try manually downloading a linux version of the driver off of the manufacturer's site, and the OS still wont change its behavior.

The most confusing part is why the OS will sporadically work with the wifi, but most of the time will only say something like "There are no wireless networks" or something along that line. I dont have an ethernet cable with me so I cant connect over Ubuntu at the moment.

On Vista it works flawlessly, no dropped connections, quickly connects. It is just driving me crazy because I dont want to drop money on windows 7 and the Ubuntu OS looks very promising to me.