PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardware Configuration: New Home Media Server

Leiti
August 31st, 2011, 04:51 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and would appreciate some advice on my first Ubuntu/Linux Home Server.
Please, let me know (and don't shoot me) if everyone here is sick and tired of newbie questions, and I will go away...

I would like to remove some HDs from my current HTPC (Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 / Win 7 Professional - 64bit), and also get a simpler way to distribute media files to various devices (Windows, PS3, Wii, Yamaha Network Receivers).
After searching and playing around in VirtualBox, Ubuntu Server 10.04 seems to be the way to go for me.

Initial tasks for my new home server:
- run Headless after initial installation
- Store media (Video & Music + Backup Data) , approx. 6 TB
- Distribute media to multiple (max. 3) devices at a time (Windows Media Center, PS3, Network Music Players)
- Convert Video files (VOB to .mkv or avi). As I have about 4 TB of VOBs, capability for Batch processing would be a plus
- some easy stuff, e.g. Print Server and very low usage for LAMP/SQL Development

Potential future tasks:
- Act as proxy-server/firewall for basic internet Use with up to 4 Devices (with additional Ethernet Card in the future)
- Stream from TV Card to local Internet Devices

Priorities:
- do what was listed above
- low power/memory usage through on-board graphics and Ethernet 1000
- Energy Efficiency & Low Noise Level (so I can run it 24/7)
- being prepared for the next few years at reasonable cost

The Hardware I am currently looking at is the following:

CPU - Intel i5-2400
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3
RAM - Patriot Sector 5 Series 8GB DDR3-1033 (2 x 4GB)
HD (System) - WD Caviar Green 500 GB
Power Supply - Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
BD/DVD-RW - Samsung SH-B083L/RSBP Internal SATA 8x Blu-ray Drive / 16x DVD Burner
HD (Media) - WD Caviar Green 8 TB (4 x 2 TB)

I believe this system will cost me about USD 750,00.

I have never put together any computer from scratch, so I would really appreciate your feedback on this configuration.

Did I over-/under-engineer this thing, or is it about right? Or, in the worst case, is there anything incompatible with Ubuntu in my configuration?

Thank you all in advance for your support!
Leiti

KatmanHH
August 31st, 2011, 05:37 AM
I don't have much advice but I will just say this about compatibility with Ubuntu. I would start by doing a Google search with each component and a keyword of Linux or Ubuntu. See what comes up. If there is major problems with a component other people will have posted it and it should come up. If Google just goes "huh?" then you may be on your own. Which is not all bad. I don't think anyone is just going to come out and guarantee you that ALL your components will work.

Good luck. Ubuntu is awesome.

Leiti
August 31st, 2011, 06:33 AM
Hi KatmanHH,

thanks for the quick response!
I didn't expect for anyone to reply this fast, so thanks for that!

Of course, I did some Bing/Google search before:
My only (minor) concern would be the H67 Chipset's on board-graphics, which may or may not be supported by Ubuntu/Linux. I have some older GForce cards available, so I should be able to compensate if that causes any issues (although these cards would increase my energy consumption). Anything else shouldn't cause any trouble.

I absolutely agree that Ubuntu is fantastic. I only need to get it installed on a separate machine...

Thanks again, and I will make sure to keep all of you posted
Leiti