PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video tearing, Intel i3 graphics

Jethoss
August 29th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I have a dedicated HTPC running Natty (Ubuntu classic, no effects) that's mainly used as a MythTV box. I'm getting a lot of tearing in the video approximately 1/3 of the way down from the top of the screen.

Hardware:
Intel Core i3 560 (Clarkdale)
Gigabyte H55M-USB3 motherboard
HVR-2250 TV card

I'm using the onboard graphics with an HDMI cable to a receiver, then on to an LCD TV. Neither the receiver nor the TV does any added video processing. I had been getting a lot of stuttering during playback, but switching to classic, no effects fixed that and replaced it with the tearing problem.

I've looked and looked, but haven't had any luck finding a solution to this. I LOVE the system, but the video is really getting frustrating.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide.

BicyclerBoy
August 29th, 2011, 09:26 PM
The best performance intel drivers come from xorg-edgers launchpad ppa.
You have to use all their packages not just pick one.

There is a tweaking tool for DRI2
driconf
check the vsync settings..

The real performance boost would come from using VA-API.
The driver supports mpeg2 & H264 decoding.

Jethoss
August 30th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try that. The output from glxinfo is:

OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:

BicyclerBoy
August 30th, 2011, 07:32 AM
FYI
11.04 & using xorg-edgers launchpad ppa on 945GME results in:

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.12-devel

You should look into VA-API

Jethoss
August 31st, 2011, 07:02 AM
Ok, I think I got VA-API updated through xorg-edgers, and got all the packages. glxinfo now reads:

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.12-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:

The problem I'm having now is that Myth crashes if I try to use OpenGL. I'm guessing that I just missed a driver somewhere along the way. Any idea what to look for next?

BicyclerBoy
August 31st, 2011, 10:44 AM
does this crash ?
glxgears

driconf

Could be a regression..hope for an update. seem to come every other day.

Jethoss
September 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
glxgears seems to run without incident, and reports very close to 60 fps. I worked my way through the driconf settings with no luck there, either. If I use OpenGL in MythTV, it crashes. Everything else seems to work, just with the tearing problem.

I might just be stuck waiting for updated drivers...

drawkcab
September 2nd, 2011, 11:50 PM
I've noticed that minor tearing happens after a kernel update. If I reinstall ffmpeg again after a kernel update, the tearing goes away for hd video. I've never been able to reinstall the right drivers to improve tearing on standard def .avi files, but playing them back in xbmc resolves the tearing.

On another note, vlc, which is my preferred .avi player, is just a mess right now. It is sluggish to start, audio and video are out of sync, audio problems require a restart after pausing...etc. VLC has always been rock solid for me except in the last few weeks.