PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] software

heldeman
August 28th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I am new from windows. With windows software to set up web sites where you sell stuff are available. These certain packages you do not need to know any coding. It is all icon based drag and drop. Is there something similar for Ubuntu with out the need for any code.
pieter
snip

Wim Sturkenboom
August 28th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I don't know; I code the difficult way ;)

Just wanted to advise to remove your email address from your post. You will attract spam like rotten meat attracts flies and your question will in general not be answered via email as it's the intention that others can benefit as well.

coffeecat
August 28th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Is there something similar for Ubuntu with out the need for any code.

There's something much better and easier. It's called the Ubuntu Software Centre. That's an application that comes with a default installation. Just open it, select your software and let the magic of Ubuntu begin!

Tip: if you find source code tarballs (tar.gz or tar.bz2) for Linux software on the net, don't try to install from them. Not until you are very much more experienced, that is. That is a common mistake newcomers make, not realising that installing most software in Ubuntu is easier than in Windows. Put simply - the source code tarballs are there for developers and power users.

haqking
August 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
There's something much better and easier. It's called the Ubuntu Software Centre. That's an application that comes with a default installation. Just open it, select your software and let the magic of Ubuntu begin!

Tip: if you find source code tarballs (tar.gz or tar.bz2) for Linux software on the net, don't try to install from them. Not until you are very much more experienced, that is. That is a common mistake newcomers make, not realising that installing most software in Ubuntu is easier than in Windows. Put simply - the source code tarballs are there for developers and power users.

I think he is referring to frontpage and dreamweaver and the like. he said software for setting up websites without coding ;-)

you could try nvu at http://www.nvu.com/

or use a virtual machine and carry on with whatever you are used to in windows

snip3r8
August 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I am new from windows. With windows software to set up web sites where you sell stuff are available. These certain packages you do not need to know any coding. It is all icon based drag and drop. Is there something similar for Ubuntu with out the need for any code.
pieter
snip

Do yo mean you want to make a website?

ajgreeny
August 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Have a look at kompozer in the software-center. It is a gui website maker, and may be just what you want.

coffeecat
August 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I think he is referring to frontpage and dreamweaver and the like. he said software for setting up websites without coding ;-)

You're quite right! I misread the OP. :)

GrouchyGaijin
August 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Or you could go the Open Source content management system route - Joomla (http://www.joomla.org/).

Find a hosting service that specializes in Joomla hosting and from there it is pretty much just deciding what plug-ins you want to install. It took me less than a week to figure out how to use Joomla and now I'd never go back.

If you want to send me a private message I can tell you what hosting company I use - they are cheap, but the support is pretty much read the knowledge base.

flyfishingphil
August 29th, 2011, 12:54 AM
pieter
snip
heldeman, Don't worry, the HTML style is much more valuable when it comes to getting what you want on your pages. I had used a WYSIWYG package to build mine and found lots of problems.

Couple folks here walked me thru the html side, using text editor and ftp'ing. If I can learn it in just a few days everybody else should be able to learn it in a few hours!

Much better site construction, much less opening time on pages and, if you follow some HTML guidelines it should be "operable" by just about any program out there.

For a good book on the "how to's" of HTML pick up a copy of the book "Teach yourself Visually Web Design". It's a great written/photo sample book that makes it easy to do. (Book was $30 @ Barnes & Noble.) I just took some of the samples and put in my info instead of the sample info. Worked for me! You can check out the results at my website: www.ffpc-rods.com