PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 Learning Curve

daniell59
August 28th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop. I wanted to try it out before installing it on my desktop.
I am really confused.For instance. If I have two or windows open, I do not see a windows list. I cannot find the other windows without shutting down another window. I installed Thunderbird, but cannot find it.
Any assistance to help me get started will be appreciated.

Thanks

Rex Bouwense
August 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Here are a couple of web sites that I used to try to help me get comfortable with Unity.
http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/natty/
Enjoy.

daniell59
August 28th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I have read the material but I still cannot find where Thunderbird is.
It says that it has been installed, but I cannot launch it.

jerrrys
August 29th, 2011, 12:01 AM
reboot and at sign in, go to gnome and see if it is also the same

ubudog
August 29th, 2011, 12:03 AM

Hmm, try clicking on the Ubuntu logo in the top left corner, then searching for Thunderbird.

ubudog
August 29th, 2011, 12:03 AM
here are a couple of web sites that i used to try to help me get comfortable with unity.
http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/natty/
enjoy.

+1

jimrz
August 29th, 2011, 12:37 AM

you can always go to your terminal and enter

thunderbird

to open it (until you learn your way around unity or decide to go with a different option)

jfbooth
August 29th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop. I wanted to try it out before installing it on my desktop.
I am really confused.For instance. If I have two or windows open, I do not see a windows list. I cannot find the other windows without shutting down another window. I installed Thunderbird, but cannot find it.
Any assistance to help me get started will be appreciated.

Thanks

When you first log on to Ubuntu (on boot up), down at the bottom of the screen is an option to use Classic desktop. Using that won't teach you to use UNITY, but will help you with Ubuntu in general. It is more like a Windows desktop.

grahammechanical
August 29th, 2011, 02:05 AM
If you stick with Ubuntu as the option at login you will be using Unity 3D. That and Unity 2D are the future of Ubuntu.

Click on the Ubuntu icon (offically known as the Big Funny Button) in the top left corner. In the search panel that appears (called the Dash) type Help and you will get icon to take you to the Ubuntu Desktop Guide.

Welcome to Ubuntu 11.04 explains about the Dash and Use the Launcher to start applications explains about the Launcher.

These will be standard features in Ubuntu from now on. They are still under development. The Dash becomes more useful for finding programs in 11.10.

Regards.

P.S. If say, you are using Libreoffice Writer and you have two or more documents open and the windows are blocking access to each other, then just click on the Writer icon in the launcher and each window shrink and you will get an expanded view from which you can select the document to switch to. As I usually work with at least three documents open I find this function very useful.

daniell59
August 29th, 2011, 09:37 AM
When you first log on to Ubuntu (on boot up), down at the bottom of the screen is an option to use Classic desktop. Using that won't teach you to use UNITY, but will help you with Ubuntu in general. It is more like a Windows desktop.

I logged on with Ubuntu classic. I easily found Thunderbird.
Thanks, previous to your post, I did not know how to get to the classic. It seems so much more intuitive.

scorp123
August 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I did not know how to get to the classic. It seems so much more intuitive. Welcome to the club! That new stupid interface confuses the heck out of veterans and newcomers alike :(