PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] On-screen volume indicator

dryphi
August 28th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Is there a way to get the on-screen volume display when I press my laptops volume up / down / mute buttons, similar to Windows?

kartabosh
August 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Is there a way to get the on-screen volume display when I press my laptops volume up / down / mute buttons, similar to Windows?

what desktop environment are you using?

dryphi
August 29th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Ubuntu 11.04, so Gnome I guess. Desktop ed.
Is that what you're asking?

kartabosh
August 29th, 2011, 05:47 AM
i never worked with unity, but there has to be a "place" where you set up keyboard shortcuts
now i do have a way of displaying the volume status and percent when changing volume, the bad part is that it looks nothing like windows
it looks like this http://i.imgur.com/oFYHk.png

dryphi
August 29th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I'm not using Unity either.
System --> Prefs --> Keyboard shortcuts works.

However I'm talking about the specific volume buttons that come in my laptop already.

Anyway, yes, that is what I am looking for! I don't care if it looks like Windows or not. I can currently turn the vol up or down with these buttons, but I have no idea what level it is at when I do.

kartabosh
August 29th, 2011, 06:23 AM
check the keyboard shortcut list for XF86AudioLowerVolume

dryphi
August 29th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Oh yeah I see that there. That's interesting, maybe I will set a keyboard shortcut.
Unfortunately I can't use the designated volume keys as keyboard shortcuts (Ubuntu doesn't register the button press when I try).

Also I just noticed that changing the volume with these keys does not appear to change the volume slider that appears when I press the little speaker icon in the Indicator Applet panel. Although the volume does change when using these keys, as is evident if I'm watching a movie or something. So maybe it's hard-wired to the motherboard or something.

Maybe this thread should more accurately be titled "using designated volume keys with Ubuntu". I think I'll start a new thread, haha.