PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to access another drive Windows network in terminal

Carcharoth
August 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM
wow, the title said it all I guess.

I want to be able to access my wife's hard drive on our windows network from terminal mode so that I can write a script to automate back up procedures.

I will need to be able to mount that drive, but I don't have a clue where to start. IT MUST BE POSSIBLE, if the GUI can do it, surely the terminal can.

:guitar:

androssofer
August 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM
wow, the title said it all I guess.

I want to be able to access my wife's hard drive on our windows network from terminal mode so that I can write a script to automate back up procedures.

I will need to be able to mount that drive, but I don't have a clue where to start. IT MUST BE POSSIBLE, if the GUI can do it, surely the terminal can.

:guitar:

this might b wot ur lookin:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-network-file-systems-nfssamba-in-ubuntu.html

Carcharoth
August 28th, 2011, 01:16 AM
if I am reading it correctly, that link gets close to what I need, or rather, something that should work. the promising bit used an IP address, but that changes from time to time on my router.

I read several man pages on similar commands, and got no closer to an answer. thanks, but I am still looking.

when I go through the GUI, it gives me the name of the computers on the network that are logged in, or that have been logged in when some check was done. I guess I need also to know how Samba is checking for who is logged in.

thanks, still looking.