PDA

View Full Version : According to distrowatch Ubuntu lost pole position..

realzippy
August 27th, 2011, 03:19 PM
http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

Merk42
August 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM
According to the rest of the comments in this thread, distrowatch is a horrible metric.

realzippy
August 27th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Sure it is.But horrible or not,Ubuntu used to be the #1 for years..

Quadunit404
August 27th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Did someone say... POLE POSITION?! *Shot*

But yeah, as Merk said, Distrowatch is a horrible metric.

3Miro
August 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I think Canonical's goal is to go after non-Linux users. They will lose some support within the Linux community, however, over the long run they hope to get non-Linux users.

Besides, if Ubuntu is falling behind, they are falling to Ubuntu based Mint.

Frogs Hair
August 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Page hit ranking :confused:

sanderd17
August 27th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hmmmm, if Ubuntu goes down, and Mint goes up, than Mint will have to take over work from Ubuntu. I believe this is rather impossible if you see the number of people working on both distros.

But off coarse, checking out a distro on distrowatch doesn't mean you are installing that one.

However, on our family PC, we have Mint, and not Ubuntu. But I'm thinking about switching to another distro. Having Ubuntu go to Unity and Mint to stay with something Gnome2-like will just make it unstable.

realzippy
August 27th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Page hit ranking :confused:

No.They get your IP.

nickleboyblue
August 27th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Just FYI, this COULD be because the site you linked to was re-structured... it looks to me like Ubuntu still has the number 1 rating. Just take a look at the "Rank" box on the right-hand side of the page and you'll see what I mean...

realzippy
August 27th, 2011, 03:54 PM
That was for the last 12 month.
Filtered for the last 3 month.(edited meanwhile #1 post)
But here you go:
http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

cgroza
August 27th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Couldn't care less as long Ubuntu is maintained and I can use it.
I think there are many users who just want Ubuntu for themselves, and now when it comes to trying making it mainstream, they dump it.

oldsoundguy
August 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM
So what if Mint gets more hits on the Distro Watch page?
.. Mint is UBUNTU Linux in a different wrapper. I have both on separate machines. Mint is just a beginner's version with the restricted drivers and codec built into the distro. It is more limited in scope and depth than Ubuntu, but a very good place to start learning and using Linux. Because of it's absolute ease of use, I suggest it to peeps that are finally fed up with the "jump through the hoops" aspect of Windows and want to try something else to salvage that hardware rather than toss it and spend a bundle on "the hot new item".
And the Mint forum is not to shabby, either.

realzippy
August 27th, 2011, 04:03 PM
..mint has no unity.

iponeverything
August 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM
gee - bummer..

Frogs Hair
August 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM
No.They get your IP.

I guess I don't understand the metric . I often link to the websites of other Linux distributions via distrowatch without ever downloading them. does this bump the popularity ranking ?

Erik1984
August 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM
If you are already a Ubuntu user you might be are more curious about other distros. So you click on them on Distrowatch because you want to know what's that Arch where everyone is talking about etc.

hawthornso23
August 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I'd say the results show a lot of Ubuntu users are currently checking out other options.

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2011, 04:38 PM
First of all, who cares? Fedora is 3rd, and they're definitely not going anywhere.

Secondly, Mint includes all of the different versions of Mint; they didn't separate them out, like Ubuntu. If you add up the past month's hits for all of the derivatives of Ubuntu that are officially recognized by Canonical, you get 2754 page hits, which is 738 more than all of the versions of Mint lumped into the one Mint page.

malspa
August 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Secondly, Mint includes all of the different versions of Mint; they didn't separate them out, like Ubuntu. If you add up the past month's hits for all of the derivatives of Ubuntu that are officially recognized by Canonical, you get 2754 page hits, which is 738 more than all of the versions of Mint lumped into the one Mint page.

So every time there's a release of one of the Mint versions, Mint's page hit ranking spikes. But a Kubuntu or Xubuntu release does nothing for Ubuntu's page hit ranking.

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2011, 04:59 PM
So every time there's a release of one of the Mint versions, Mint's page hit ranking spikes. But a Kubuntu or Xubuntu release does nothing for Ubuntu's page hit ranking.

Exactly. It won't be long before Ubuntu is back on top again.

Although, I do think that part of it is that people who are upset about Unity are checking out Mint. I can't wait to see what happens with Mint when Gnome 2 is no longer supported at all. Eventually, even Mint is going to have to change things, and then people won't be happy with Mint, either.

sanderd17
August 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Exactly. It won't be long before Ubuntu is back on top again.

Although, I do think that part of it is that people who are upset about Unity are checking out Mint. I can't wait to see what happens with Mint when Gnome 2 is no longer supported at all. Eventually, even Mint is going to have to change things, and then people won't be happy with Mint, either.

Mint is going to use gnome3, but with a gnome2-like shell (instead of Unity or GS). But I don't think they have enough man-power to maintain that. And a crappy implementation will cause people to run away from Mint back again.

Oxwivi
August 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM
If Ubuntu is popular, I don't think anyone would go to DistroWatch for it...

ninjaaron
August 27th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Arch is at #4

neat.

Thewhistlingwind
August 27th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Arch is at #4

neat.

They were #6 if I remember correctly.

If Arch is ever #1, it proves just how bunk distrowatch is.

wojox
August 27th, 2011, 06:05 PM
A poll with fluctuating positions? hmmmmm..... :confused:

sanderd17
August 28th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Arch is at #4

neat.
Arch could never become #1 because people who use arch arrived at the end of their distro hopping period and stop checking distrowatch.

KBD47
August 28th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I've got Mint and Ubuntu on the computer I'm using now, just Mint on my wife's computer, and Mepis on yet another computer. I would not hesitate to recommend Mint to new Linux users. Sadly, because of Unity, I would hesitate to recommend Ubuntu to new users. I suspect Mint is becoming the new Linux users first choice. Maybe if Unity becomes more usable and stable it will get there again.