PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to accelerate my ubuntu

NotGeek
August 27th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Well, I've got an ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop. It's a HP pavilion ze2000 whom I bought 5 years ago.

Ok, when I type "top" on the terminal , I often found the free memory is less than 100M. I type the "ps aux" command, and found 136 processes is sleeping, which is not useful for me and can be tick from the start up list? And, how to handle it?

sanderj
August 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Linux will use all memory found, so don't worry about only 100 MB being free. And don't worry amount the number of processes; most of them are tiny processes.

More important is how much RAM you've installed. I saw a review where a HP Pavilion ZE2000 had only 512 MB RAM, and that's little for Ubuntu IMHO.
So: how much RAM have you got? If 512 MB, can you go higher? If not, consider a more lightweight Ubuntu, like Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

NotGeek
August 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Linux will use all memory found, so don't worry about only 100 MB being free. And don't worry amount the number of processes; most of them are tiny processes.

More important is how much RAM you've installed. I saw a review where a HP Pavilion ZE2000 had only 512 MB RAM, and that's little for Ubuntu IMHO.
So: how much RAM have you got? If 512 MB, can you go higher? If not, consider a more lightweight Ubuntu, like Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

The Original RAM is 256MB, and I go higher by add a 512 MB memory. What strange is that after I install the ubuntu with my Xp, it's only show about 650 MB in total. May be I should consider about Lubuntu, or even a system without GUI

drawkcab
August 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah, give lubuntu a try.

scorp123
August 28th, 2011, 12:08 AM
What strange is that after I install the ubuntu with my Xp, it's only show about 650 MB in total. Does the VGA chip have its own dedicated memory? If not then part of the normal RAM will be reserved for graphics functions, hence why the OS sees 64 MB less than what you'd expect.