PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cant boot from pen drive

subalster
August 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM
hello, i am new to ubuntu, my computer doesnt boot automatically from the pen drive, i pressed f2 when starting and entered the system managment screen and there doesnt appear to be an option to make the computer boot from a pen drive, i tried booting from a dvd but that also doesnt work (r dvdS different to cdroms???)
please help
thankyou

zirch
August 27th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Why do you need to boot from a USB drive? Are you just trying it out?
Anyway, when you enter the BIOS screen (via F2), did you use your arrow keys to navigate through the tabs to the Boot section?

computerandu
August 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM
hello, i am new to ubuntu, my computer doesnt boot automatically from the pen drive, i pressed f2 when starting and entered the system managment screen and there doesnt appear to be an option to make the computer boot from a pen drive, i tried booting from a dvd but that also doesnt work (r dvdS different to cdroms???)
please help
thankyou

There should be an option for booting from removable media....

Wim Sturkenboom
August 27th, 2011, 11:49 AM
// oops

arochester
August 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Have you seen "Boot From a USB Drive Even if your BIOS Won’t Let You"? - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/

Rex Bouwense
August 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Some computers recognize the pen or flash drive as another hard drive so enter your BIOS and check to see if that is where it is located. If so just move it ahead of your computer hard drive.

F.G.
August 27th, 2011, 01:05 PM
so, what kind of computer do you have? i know with my Asus netbook i need to press 'Esc' and on my Toshiba Satellite laptop i have to press 'F12' (I think 'F2' also works though) to get a list of bootable media.

I2k4
August 27th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Have you seen "Boot From a USB Drive Even if your BIOS Won’t Let You"? - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/

Thanks for this link - I have an old Dell Inspiron with a floppy and it will be fun to try Lubuntu it.

As the link confirms, some older PCs just don't recognize USB for boot sequencing in BIOS, even if they have USB ports.