PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] asus ubuntu is still around?

apexofservice
August 26th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Hi Ubuntu community,

I hope this thread isn't too misplaced.

I'm trying to find a new laptop or netbook without paying the microsoft tax. It seems DELL doesn't offer the linux laptop line that they used to (is this wrong? or can i just not find it?). I've heard in some forums that certain ASUS eee pc's can be windoze-free from the start, but I haven't found any info about that on their website.

I'm just wondering if anyone here knows what the current state of affairs is for buying netbooks/laptops without paying for a Windows license.

Thanks for any help.

JC Cheloven
August 26th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Hi,

It depends largely on where you live. Here (spain, europe), you can find quite easily windows-free brand new laptops if you go to small computer shops. Something from acer for example.
But in the grand-mainline of big shopping centers, it's almost impossible.

There are other choices. If you live in the usa, there's system76 (http://www.system76.com/). In my area there are some brands which ships with no OS at all, for example ahtec (see this one (http://madrid.ahtec.es/product/configurador/index.jsp?id=92&basket=renew) for instance).

I'm sure you'll find something within your reach if you investigate a litle ;)

apexofservice
August 29th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the reply.

In the end, I went with the Acer Aspire One, I found a good price on it at a local store. I guess I paid the microsoft tax, but I'm now reformatting the hard drive to get started.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do Ubuntu 11 (no gnome scares me), I may do Debian Squeeze instead---at least as a first pass.

Best!

JC Cheloven
August 29th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Great. It's a netbook, right? 10 inches screen?
If it came with xp, you didn't pay a lot of 'tax' (although we shouldn't have to pay *any* tax...).

Well, I don't resist to put some tips on the table:

- At the back of your pc you should have a XP license number. With that, and a perfectly legal dowload of the operating system, you can reinstall at a later time xp if you want. I'd take a note of this number before it gets blurred.

- Old good gnome2 is gone (almost). I'm still to see how light gnome3 is, but I'm affraid your netbook would benefit from looking into lighter alternatives. Xfce is nice, and so it's LXDE. You can use any of them with debian also. I'm using lately LUbuntu (lxde) and I don't miss anything. I even installed it in my 'big' computer (largely capable of running unity or any other DE), simply because I like it better.

Have fun with your new pc!
JC