PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Teach a man how to change monitor res, drink WINE and manipulate X-server ?

deckoff
August 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM
This is a multi-part question
What I want to do - I want run a few old WINE games in a separate X-server window, changing the resolution on the way.
What I got rightAll games run ok, in a virtual desktops(provided by WINE). All are installed in their won wine prefix, I used PlayOnLinux to do that. Games, that run in resolution, lower than mine, will start in a window.
Where I fail

1) Running a game with

xinit /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Heroes3" -- :1 vt8 starts the game. I have no sound though. I read that executing
ck-launch-session should solve the problem. I dont know how to run it - no matter is I start from tty or Konsole I cannot input anything. Strangely, in every session I am logged in, I hear sound... tty1 and x0 will have sound, but x1 will not
2) Adding a new resolution - I read all here. 800x600
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
I added this successfully, but when I select the new resolution form the drop-down menu, Ubuntu will fall back to default 1024x768. So I want to have this lower resolution, to be able to start the game in the res it runs native.
3) xinit command that specifies the selected resolution will be bonus.. I think
xinit /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Heroes3" -geometry =800x600 -bpp 16 -- :1 vt8
should be the one I need, but since I cannot successfully change my res, I dont know if it right.
I run Kubuntu 11.04, but running the games in Ubuntu provides the same results. This is a thinkpad x40 laptop, IBM. the video is i915 , which is quite buggy and I am sure it causes at least half of the problems.