PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ultradefrag review

DarinB
August 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
can anybody tell me is utlradefrag is any good I have to defrag a friends laptop before i set up a dual boot.

HereInOz
August 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Not familiar with this particular program, but the thing you need to ensure happens is a defragment and a compaction of the files.

Many of the defragment tools merely defragment the files, but still leave them scattered throughout the drive, and this is not ideal if you want to reduce the size of a partition to create a new partition for dual boot.

The microsoft defrag tool is a cut down version of, I think, Executive software's product (now called Diskeeper, I think) and the Diskeeper defrag software is reputed to be very good - much better than the cut down MS version. It does cost, though.

There will be others though.

DarinB
August 26th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I have an old xp copy of perfect disc. I know that perfect disc and diskeeper are really good just trying to save this person money.
I just installed it i will give it a try and see if it is good.
if anybody has any info on this It would be great

Frogs Hair
August 26th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Auslogics is good defrag tool for Windows , but I am not familiar with Ulta defrag . http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

oldos2er
August 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM
can anybody tell me is utlradefrag is any good I have to defrag a friends laptop before i set up a dual boot.

Which file system is on it? If it's ext4 and not more than, say, 85% full, I wouldn't worry about it.

SlugSlug
August 26th, 2011, 05:09 PM
jkdefrag is the one i use on windows, think they renamed it to mydefrag now

its free and light

DarinB
September 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I tried ultradefrag you have to run it a few times and it does not get all the fragements or preform any where near the quality of diskeeper or perfect disk. but free is free...
Mydefrag was significantly better to use and when I was done the windows popped. not as cleanly as the pay apps, but good enough to set up a dual boot. Thanks my bet is mydefrag for windows 7 and below.