PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Microphone Static

flyvin
August 26th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I just bought a new laptop and installed Ubuntu onto it. Everything is working fine except for the microphone. Every time I try to record, there's a bunch of static in the background. I've tried changing the sliders on "alsamixer", which helps a little bit, but it never completely goes away. I know it's not a hardware problem because it perfectly clear on Windows (I'm dual booting).

I've used Ubuntu a lot in the past, but I don't know much about audio drivers, or even how to figure out which one I'm currently using. My laptop is an Acer AS5750-9851 and I'm using Ubuntu 11.04, 64 bit. Any help would be nice.

thewolfman
August 26th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Hi flyvin,

did you install "pulse audio"??, you might want to try that as I have had problems with my mic too but sorted it out with pulse!!.

There are a number of packages to install, go with "paman" and the rest of the packages should auto-select!!.

Regards thewolfman.:P

PS: if you are using Skype, don't let Skype control the settings!!, you can do that in the Skype sttings manager.

flyvin
August 27th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I installed pulseaudio, but I don't think it helped at all; there's still static in the background.

mavu
August 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM
For all i know ubuntu uses 'pulse audio' by default.

I have tried a lot of suggested fixes but none of them had worked (installing pavucontrol and unlocking sliders, modifying pulse audio config files, stoping skype adjust volume levels,..).

I didn't have found any viable fix until this moment, though i am still looking for. This issue seemed to have appeared after some of the updates.