PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen during Ubuntu 11.04's boot

Dr. James
August 26th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Hello, my name is Dr. James and yes, I have a problem.

I've installed Ubuntu 11.04 and I love it. The only thing is that I have a black screen during the boot. I mean, I see the GRUB, I select from the grub, but then the screen turns black, until the login screen that appears just fine.

I have an NVIDIA card and yes, the driver is updated, I have full Unity functionality. I've tried uninstalling and installing it again, but the problem persists.

Notice that when I shut down my PC, the boot screen appears ok. It's just at the boot that the problem exists.

Could anybody help me? Thanks in advance.

Dr. James

Mark Phelps
August 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Maybe the reason that no one replied is ... what you'e seeing is routine for 11.04. I've been using Ubuntu versions for years, and the way I know that 11.04 is FINALLY getting ready to show a desktop is when the screen turns from dark grey to black.

If the desktop is OK otherwise, this is just something you have to live with in 11.04.

BicyclerBoy
August 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM
It is not normal..but the splash screen (plymouth) seem to get broken by updates on a regular basis.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Plymouth.
Works well most of the time with my nVidia & intel graphics PCs.

The nVidia & AMD proprietary drivers do not provide any console framebuffer or non-X server screen support.

Apart from the plymouth debug options; there are VGA mode & vt handoff options in GRUB.
How these interact with plymouth is unclear (to me).

Dr. James
September 1st, 2011, 02:16 AM
Maybe the reason that no one replied is ... what you'e seeing is routine for 11.04. I've been using Ubuntu versions for years, and the way I know that 11.04 is FINALLY getting ready to show a desktop is when the screen turns from dark grey to black.

If the desktop is OK otherwise, this is just something you have to live with in 11.04.

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Isn't there a way to fix the boot? Btw, I'm not using the propetary drivers, but the free ones (I've used the first ones but the problem persists).

oscarivera9
September 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM
What is it exactly that you want to see between Grub and login? Is it the usual 'Ubuntu 11.04' screen with the dots that indicate the OS is loading up? That's the only thing I can think of that you are asking about. I used to see that screen in previous releases, but now I see it very briefly (for like 2 seconds) right before the login screen. However, the time it takes to go from Grub to login is under 5 seconds, so I just figured that the boot screen was slower than the operating system.