PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to boot Ubuntu 10.10 -- stuck at "initframs"

lxndrlng
August 25th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Hello, I am very new to Ubuntu and the whole linux thing. Looking for a little direction, please.

I'm dual booting Windows Vista and Ubuntu 10.10 (installed from liveCD pen drive)

I was using Ubuntu well and cleanly for a couple weeks now and am currently facing the issue stated in subject. I'm getting stuck in the boot process after selecting Ubuntu from Grub menu.

The last few lines shown before the "(initramfs) _ " is Attached SCSI removable disk, whatever that means.. that's about where the issue is, anyway.

I've poked around trying to research this problem but I'm having difficulty finding answers.

Also, having problems loading my original liveCD now for some reason. It used to work fine but now when I boot to open a live session in attempts to reinstall Grub or further troubleshoot, the liveCD Ubuntu purple loading screen with the five orange loading dots does not load into the desktop. In other words, it loads forever.

Is this a problem with Grub? My partition?

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Thank you for any guidance.
Post if you need more info, this is merely my first real call for help.

Rubi1200
August 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

Please post the specifications for the computer, especially RAM and graphics card.

If you are unable to boot with the Ubuntu CD then try another LiveCD like Slax and post the results of the boot info script so we can see what is going on.

There is a link at the bottom of my post with instructions (if you use Slax, there is no need to preface the command given with sudo).

Once we have this information it will be easier to help you troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks.