PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help setting up Transmission Bit Torrent or sth similar

snigam3112
August 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Am using Ubuntu Natty in my college. I have access to net through my university's proxy servers which has blocked certain sites (like Facebook, YouTube etc.) and also the use of torrents. Using, Tor and Vidalia, I have been able to access the blocked sites. Now, how do I configure the BitTorrent Client so that i can also use torrents??

nothingspecial
August 25th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I would have phrased the question differently leaving out the bit about circumventing your university's web access policy.

dniMretsaM
August 25th, 2011, 08:46 PM
You might try the stuff listed here (http://filesharefreak.com/2008/04/16/how-to-download-torrents-through-a-proxyfirewall/). And yes, edit that stuff out. Although it shouldn't be a problem as fileshareing is completely legal assuming the content is not copyrighted (i.e. it's completely legal to download the latest Ubuntu LiveCD image via BitTorrent, but not CoD Black Ops for your new 360).

snigam3112
August 25th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I tried follwoing the instructions on the link you had given about entering the URL of the torrent file in the transmission client. I get the message, Proxy authentication required. I think this means that it is still nor trying to gain access to the public trackers through the Tor conection. How do I make that happen??

dniMretsaM
August 25th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Did you try the other instructions (making the network think the torrent is a .txt file)?
EDIT: Is this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869752) what you're looking for?

nothingspecial
August 25th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Am using Ubuntu Natty in my college. I have access to net through my university's proxy servers which has blocked certain sites (like Facebook, YouTube etc.) and also the use of torrents. Using, Tor and Vidalia, I have been able to access the blocked sites. Now, how do I configure the BitTorrent Client so that i can also use torrents??

](*,)

Stop asking for help in circumventing your university's web access policy. I am sure that in order to use their network you have to abide by these conditions. Go to an internet cafe or get one of those mobile thingys.

ibuclaw
August 25th, 2011, 10:37 PM
We don't welcome users circumventing security policies here.

Thread closed.