PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Strange Problem With Program Icons

dniMretsaM
August 25th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Ok, so I installed Eclipse from the default repositories and I have a little graphical problem. On the Kickoff menu, it shows the little icon next to the program. But when I add it to the panel, the applications is there, but you can't see an icon. And when I open the properties there is no way to change the icon. If I'm browsing with admin permissions (kdesudo dolphin) in /usr/share/applications the icon is showed on the eclipse.desktop, but not in the preview but not in the preview. When I'm browsing without admin permissions, the icon isn't show on either eclipse.desktop or the preview. So any ideas how to fix this?

dniMretsaM
August 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Bump.

dniMretsaM
August 27th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Anyone?

dniMretsaM
August 30th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Still wondering...

dniMretsaM
August 31st, 2011, 05:48 PM
Bump (again).

dniMretsaM
September 10th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I feel like I've done this before...

ubudog
September 10th, 2011, 06:16 PM
This seems to be a permissions issue. What is the path of the icon file?

You can probably fix this like so:

sudo chown username:group /locationtoicon/icon.png

That will give your regular user permissions... hope this helps. Not sure what else this could be.

dniMretsaM
September 10th, 2011, 10:05 PM
This seems to be a permissions issue. What is the path of the icon file?

You can probably fix this like so:

sudo chown username:group /locationtoicon/icon.pngThat will give your regular user permissions... hope this helps. Not sure what else this could be.

Not sure where the icon is stored. Any idea? I'll do a little searching and post back if I find it. By the way congratulations on becoming a mod!

EDIT: I found the icon and ran the following:

sudo chown bryan /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/eclipse.png

It made the change. I then removed the icon from the the panel and then re-added it but it's still blank. I must say, this is one of the oddest issues I've had.

ubudog
September 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks!

Strange, try this:

sudo chown bryan:bryan /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/eclipse.png

dniMretsaM
September 11th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Tried that and it didn't work. However, I decided to change the owner of eclipse.desktop to myself and see what happened. That didn't work right away but it allowed me to change the icon. I changed it to something else and it showed up. When I changed it back to the eclipse icon it stopped showing up. Then I tried the Eclipse icon under "Other icons" instead of "System icons" (which is what I had been using) and it showed up just fine. So it must have been a problem with whatever icon it was trying to use (pointing to a blank file maybe?). So anyway, solved. Thanks for the help. Again, really odd problem...

ubudog
September 11th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Strange, well glad you got it working.