PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] File and folder system in Ubuntu

zirch
August 25th, 2011, 07:57 AM
How does the file and folder system in Ubuntu work? What are the Window's "Program Files" and "AppData" equivalents in Ubuntu? Where can I find application settings, plugins, and logs in Ubuntu? I'm using Wubi Ubuntu 11.04 by the way.

fdrake
August 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM
How does the file and folder system in Ubuntu work? What are the Window's "Program Files" and "AppData" equivalents in Ubuntu? Where can I find application settings, plugins, and logs in Ubuntu? I'm using Wubi Ubuntu 11.04 by the way.

I think it will take at least a book to answer to your questions.
My suggestion? A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux. Sobel
http://www.sobell.com/UB3/index.html

zirch
August 25th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I think it will take at least a book to answer to your questions.

Oh. Okay...
What about where I can find the bookmark file of Firefox? In Windows, I can find it in the Mozilla folder in AppData. It's either a .html or .json file, I suppose.

SoFl W
August 25th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Both windows and Linux are similar, inside your home folder is everything about your stuff. Many things are hidden, meaning it has a period in front of the name. Press ctrl-h to see hidden files from your file viewer.

Firefox----
/home/zirch/.mozilla/firefox/SOME-LETTERS.default/

by default your should be in the /home/zirch/ directory. That is your "home" directory.

/home/USERNAME/

zirch
August 25th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Both windows and Linux are similar, inside your home folder is everything about your stuff. Many things are hidden, meaning it has a period in front of the name. Press ctrl-h to see hidden files from your file viewer.

Firefox----
/home/zirch/.mozilla/firefox/SOME-LETTERS.default/

by default your should be in the /home/zirch/ directory. That is your "home" directory.

/home/USERNAME/

I see. Thanks!

oldos2er
August 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Each user's config data is stored in their home folder as hidden files/folders. System-wide config data is mostly in /etc. Logs are usually in /var/log.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard