PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error trying to install multitouch drivers on mbp

Dan Delano
August 25th, 2011, 06:09 AM
I have a macbook pro 5,5 that I recently installed natty on. I went to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro5-5/Natty#Touchpad and tried to follow their instructions to set up multitouch.

When I try to run sudo apt-get install xf86-input-multitouch bcm5974-dkms I get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xf86-input-multitouch
E: Unable to locate package bcm5974-dkms

Any help is appreciated.

androssofer
August 25th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I have a macbook pro 5,5 that I recently installed natty on. I went to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro5-5/Natty#Touchpad and tried to follow their instructions to set up multitouch.

When I try to run sudo apt-get install xf86-input-multitouch bcm5974-dkms I get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xf86-input-multitouch
E: Unable to locate package bcm5974-dkms

Any help is appreciated.

looks like the repository for the files is missing, thet are part of the mactel packages, so try this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mactel-support/ppa
sudo apt-get update

then do the

sudo apt-get install xf86-input-multitouch bcm5974-dkms

again

Dan Delano
August 26th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Well, now that part seems to have worked (thanks). However, I am having trouble following the next step:

Then add this to xorg.conf (or drop into /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-multitouch.conf on Lucid or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-multitouch.conf on Maverick and later).
Section "InputClass" MatchIsTouchpad "true" Identifier "Multitouch Touchpad" Driver "multitouch" EndSection

I don't have 99-multitouch.conf in that folder.

sandyd
August 27th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Well, now that part seems to have worked (thanks). However, I am having trouble following the next step:

Then add this to xorg.conf (or drop into /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-multitouch.conf on Lucid or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-multitouch.conf on Maverick and later).
Section "InputClass" MatchIsTouchpad "true" Identifier "Multitouch Touchpad" Driver "multitouch" EndSection

I don't have 99-multitouch.conf in that folder.

Section "InputClass"
MatchIsTouchpad "true"
Identifier "Multitouch Touchpad"
Driver "multitouch"
EndSection

if /etc/X11/xorg.conf exists, thats good.

If it doesn't. boot to recovery mode, and run

Xorg -configure

That should generate a sutible xorg.conf for you, and you can add the multitouch config into the xorg.conf.

Dan Delano
August 27th, 2011, 03:00 AM
/etc/X11/xorg.conf exists. Is this where I should be adding that text?

fyi here is what is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

The instructions say to go to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-multitouch.conf which is what does not exist. /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d exists, and it has files in it which appear to have similar naming schemes (for example 50-vmmouse.comf but 99-multitouch.conf does not exist

sandyd
August 27th, 2011, 04:15 AM
/etc/X11/xorg.conf exists. Is this where I should be adding that text?

fyi here is what is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

The instructions say to go to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-multitouch.conf which is what does not exist. /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d exists, and it has files in it which appear to have similar naming schemes (for example 50-vmmouse.comf but 99-multitouch.conf does not exist
it says you can add it to xorg.conf.