PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] request for advice with traveling with my ubuntu tower

Old Jimma
August 25th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Hi Community:

I realize this isn't exactly an "Ubuntu" question, but I hope you can help.

I live in the US. I've been assigned to work in a European country for 1 month.

I'd really like to take my computer (it is a mid-tower) and it is loaded with 10.4 LTS. It is a terrific machine and has a super processor, huge amounts of HD, and more memory than any body could possibly need for the type of scientific work I do.

How could I pack it to get to Europe safely?

Also, once I get there I think there is an electricity issue, isn't there? How do I overcome that?

Thanks,
Phil de la Duluthistan, GA

androssofer
August 25th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Hi Community:

I realize this isn't exactly an "Ubuntu" question, but I hope you can help.

I live in the US. I've been assigned to work in a European country for 1 month.

I'd really like to take my computer (it is a mid-tower) and it is loaded with 10.4 LTS. It is a terrific machine and has a super processor, huge amounts of HD, and more memory than any body could possibly need for the type of scientific work I do.

How could I pack it to get to Europe safely?

Also, once I get there I think there is an electricity issue, isn't there? How do I overcome that?

Thanks,

i'd say UPS would ship it for u easy enough, just pack it up gd with lots foam around it and make sure their are no disks in the disk drive...

as for power supply, alot of new PSUs have "Active PFC", which means they shud be able handle the voltage jump to 230/240V ok. if it doesnt it should a switch beside where the power cord goes in to select the voltage.

then u just need a European power cord.

wot country u goin to? most main land europe hav the round plugs, UK and ireland are rectanges...

read the wikipedia artical here:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

to make sure u get the right 1. or bring ur US one wit u, then go into a local electronics store and say i need your version of this cord... and hand them it. i've done it a few times for visiting US and Canadian people in my work...

hope tht helps

Old Jimma
August 26th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Homeboy androssofer:

U R A dream. Thank so much for your advice.

Switzerland.

Take it easy,