PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Turning on Video Remotely

johnlee
August 25th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Hey, not sure if this is a trivial question or not.

I want to VNC into a computer which is turned on, but has the laptop lid closed so the screen is off- I can ssh into it, so I know it is on.

Anyone have a clue how to fire up the video through terminal?

MG&TL
August 25th, 2011, 01:53 AM
If you make the laptop 'do' a command via SSH, does it wake the screen up? (i.e. run something that doesn't do anything, but makes a process)

Edit, oops, missed the VNC bit, so I don't actually know what I'm talking about. But if I'm on the right track, tell me.

SeijiSensei
August 25th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Rather than using VNC you can just use ssh natively to run commands at the prompt. If you need GUI applications, try connecting with "ssh -X hostname". Then you can run graphical applications on the remote and have them display on the local desktop as if they were running locally. Here's a quick test:

[user@local]$ ssh -X remote
[user@remote]$ xterm

You should now see a little "xterm" terminal window appear on your local machine. If you replace "xterm" with other commands like "firefox", they'll behave the same way.

If you get a "permission denied" error, run the command "xhost +" before using ssh to connect to the remote. I don't believe it's required when tunnelling X over SSH, but just in case, that's the solution.