PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Utorrent installation

soccerguy18
August 24th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I just can't understand how to install things!
anyways
I am trying to download utorrent client
but i dont know what to type into terminal.
I need to know exactly what to type and when to do that

I am sorry, I am a noob

dave01945
August 25th, 2011, 12:04 AM
installing depends on what sort of file it is if it's a tar.gz then you usually use

tar zvf someprogram.tar.gz
cd someprogram
./configure
make
sudo make install

the last step in bold can be replaced with

sudo checkinstall

that way the package manager can keep track of the package which makes it easier to uninstall later you may have to install checkinstall using

sudo apt-get install checkinstall

hope this helps

oldos2er
August 25th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Are you trying to install the Linux version, or the Windows version with Wine?

Is there some reason you're not using Transmission (Ubuntu's default torrent client)?

lovinglinux
August 25th, 2011, 01:04 AM
installing depends on what sort of file it is if it's a tar.gz then you usually use...

Don't scare the noob :-)

Most of the time, you don't need to look for applications on the web. All you need is to launch Ubuntu Software Center, search what you want and install.

Utorrent for linux is on early development and doesn't have a graphical interface, just a server and a web interface. I don't recommend it for you. If you still want to try it, just extract the tar.gz file somewhere and execute the file utserver. You can fi9nd more info in the docs folder.

If you are looking for a client like utorrent, then I recommend qBittorrent. It is very fast and the interface is based on utorrent. You can find it in the Software Center.

Mauroblack
August 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Are you trying to install the Linux version, or the Windows version with Wine?

Is there some reason you're not using Transmission (Ubuntu's default torrent client)?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

But I find that the default client for Ubuntus "limits" the speed of my torrents.

Ie: with utorrent on windows I can get 990 Kb/s on campus but the same torrent won't get that speed on ubuntu in the same location at the same time with the same computer.
Why is that?

I am a bit above noob-ish but a noob regardless.

mhgsys
August 25th, 2011, 06:24 PM
@Mauroblack

You should check your ports being used... and set the same ports as campus forwards in router.

ikt
August 25th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I just can't understand how to install things!
anyways
I am trying to download utorrent client
but i dont know what to type into terminal.
I need to know exactly what to type and when to do that

I am sorry, I am a noob

http://deluge-torrent.org/
http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net/

Are better torrent clients, there are many others in the software centre.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread.

But I find that the default client for Ubuntus "limits" the speed of my torrents.

Ie: with utorrent on windows I can get 990 Kb/s on campus but the same torrent won't get that speed on ubuntu in the same location at the same time with the same computer.
Why is that?

I am a bit above noob-ish but a noob regardless.
i noticed that the other day
check the settings in transmission
edit->preferences
speed tab