PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] need Ndiswrapper for Wireless Card (airlink awlc3026) Install

uKEN
August 24th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hay Yall

I resently played with pupy linux..than tryed Lubuntu..
I feal so nooby..:confused:

The problem im having is my wierrless card is a airlink awlc3026 :(
So I can not fig out how the bassices work..I need to install Ndiswrapper !

BRAIN FART

any help/info or opinion would be greatly wanted

PS. sorry for the bad spelling and gramer

:guitar:

kerry_s
August 25th, 2011, 12:22 AM
the packages are on the installer you used to install.

uKEN
August 25th, 2011, 12:55 AM
the packages are on the installer you used to install.

so thay ar on my pc..or do i need to use the cd i used to install Lubuntu ?

well i DL the deb..but i have no idea waht im doing...
I dl "ndiswrapper_1.56+r2729.orig.tar.gz" , "ndiswrapper_1.57rc1.tar.gz" , "ndiswrapper-common_1.56+r2729-1_all.deb" , "ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.56+r2729-1_i386.deb"

whatthefunk
August 25th, 2011, 01:28 AM
You should be able to double click on the .deb files and they will install themselves.

kerry_s
August 25th, 2011, 01:38 AM
They are on the cd.

put your cd in & browse it with the file manager.
go to-> pool-> main-> n
go in to both of those folders & double click on the *.debs

ndisgtk is the gui for ndiswrapper, once you have all 3 packages installed you should find it in your menu under system tools.

see pics

(sorry about short posts earlier, i was on my ipod touch in the bathroom. ;) )

anewguy
August 25th, 2011, 02:36 AM
The files you want are on the Cd, specifically in the /pool/main/n folder. You will find 2 folders there: 1 for ndisgtk and 1 for ndiswrapper. These must be installed in the proper order, so here's what to do:

Boot ubuntu
After ubuntu boots, put the install CD in the drive. After a short period of time you will probably get a message about a software source CD found - just cancel that.
Via "Places", explore the CD and go to the /pool/main/n folder.
You will see 2 folders: ndisgtk and ndiswrapper. Go to the ndiswrapper folder first.
Within this folder are 2 files - 1 for ndiswrapper common and 1 for ndiswrapper utilities. Double click on the ndiswrapper common file to begin it's installation. Wait for this to complete.
Double-click on the ndiswrapper common file to begin its' installation and wait for it to finish.
Now navigate back to the /pool/main/n folder, then to the ndisgtk folder
Double-click on the ndisgtk file to begine its' installation and wait for it to finish.

What you have done so far is 2-fold:

- you installed the ndiswrapper software so you use Windows XP drivers for your wireless

- you installed ndisgtk, the graphical front-end to ndiswrapper. This makes installation a snap.

What you need to do next:

Locate the .inf and .sys files for your driver. These *must* be Windows XP *only*, and the architecture must match your ubuntu installation (32 versus 64 bit). Just put these files in a new folder, such as "wireless", in your home folder.
Install the driver: Click on System/Administration/Windows Wireless Drivers - this will start ndisgtk. Click on the item to add new. Point it to the .inf file for your driver (~/wireless/xxxxxx.inf) and click. It should install the driver now and show the device as ready.

Now go to the network manager icon on the top bar and be sure "Enable Wireless" is checked - if not, click to enable it. After a short period of time you should see the available wireless networks.

Dave ;)

EDIT: After finishing my post I found that kerry_s had updated their reply, so mine may be a dup of what they are saying and showing you.

kerry_s
August 25th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Now go to the network manager icon on the top bar and be sure "Enable Wireless" is checked - if not, click to enable it. After a short period of time you should see the available wireless networks.

i would recommend a reboot instead, to make sure ndiswrapper is fully loaded. it should then just work.

EDIT: After finishing my post I found that kerry_s had updated their reply, so mine may be a dup of what they are saying and showing you.

:lolflag: i couldn't do screenshots from my ipod. i'm running lubuntu 11.04, so i can post any pics he needs to help him along. :P

anewguy
August 25th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Your absolutely right - I have always said just to reboot - don't know what I was thinking but glad you caught all of that!

Dave ;)

EDIT: Forgot the main reason I also have people reboot - to make sure any changes for not loading modules "take". It at least used to be - especially with the old way of doing things with the Broadcom chipsets - that ndisgtk made sure that the default modules were no longer being loaded. I always recommended a reboot to be sure those changes worked. Just so others reading this thread looking for help understand they *SHOULD* reboot just as you said! ;)

Again - thanks for catching that! ;)

kerry_s
August 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Your absolutely right - I have always said just to reboot - don't know what I was thinking but glad you caught all of that!

Dave ;)

EDIT: Forgot the main reason I also have people reboot - to make sure any changes for not loading modules "take". It at least used to be - especially with the old way of doing things with the Broadcom chipsets - that ndisgtk made sure that the default modules were no longer being loaded. I always recommended a reboot to be sure those changes worked. Just so others reading this thread looking for help understand they *SHOULD* reboot just as you said! ;)

Again - thanks for catching that! ;)

yeah, i've had problems with ndiswrapper not even loading till after a reboot as well, even after it loads the files just fine in the gui.

what i do:
install ndis
add windows drivers
then reboot

only then does it usually always work, except on that rare occasion where i put the wrong drivers. :)

uKEN
August 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
well ty all for your responses i'll try it out wen I get home .

:lolflag: i couldn't do screenshots from my ipod. i'm running lubuntu 11.04, so i can post any pics he needs to help him along. :P

hay u us lubuntu on you ipod ? what gen ?

kerry_s
August 25th, 2011, 11:27 PM
hay u us lubuntu on you ipod ? what gen ?

8gb ipod touch 4th gen, the 1 with cameras. i actually do everything over wifi(smb), i only plug in to charge.

it is detected if thats what your wondering.

anewguy
August 25th, 2011, 11:33 PM
uKEN:

BTW - I know you're new here - so please don't take this the wrong way - this forum gets lots of different age groups and all kinds of different countries. To avoid confusion for others, especially those for which English is a 2nd or 3rd language, please avoid the abbreviations, etc., that are common in the US from texting, etc.. Again, please don't take this the wrong way! ;)

kerry_s:

You know, that's exactly the way I've always done it as well until this post - I think I had a major brain malfunction! ;) (Hoping that doesn't happen to much more - I'm getting too young in my 2nd childhood for that kind of problem ;) ). Anyway - thanks again! ;) Glad to have made your aquaintance here on the forum!

uKEN
August 27th, 2011, 08:57 PM
uKEN:

BTW - I know you're new here - so please don't take this the wrong way - this forum gets lots of different age groups and all kinds of different countries. To avoid confusion for others, especially those for which English is a 2nd or 3rd language, please avoid the abbreviations, etc., that are common in the US from texting, etc.. Again, please don't take this the wrong way! ;)

kerry_s:

You know, that's exactly the way I've always done it as well until this post - I think I had a major brain malfunction! ;) (Hoping that doesn't happen to much more - I'm getting too young in my 2nd childhood for that kind of problem ;) ). Anyway - thanks again! ;) Glad to have made your aquaintance here on the forum!

O my bad..
I should have thout about it..I make sherr to remember..:lolflag:

uKEN
September 9th, 2011, 11:12 PM
work great thank you booth for you'r time..

hay how do I mark the topic as [SOLVED] ?

whatthefunk
September 9th, 2011, 11:14 PM
work great thank you booth for you'r time..

hay how do I mark the topic as [SOLVED] ?

Towards the top of the page, there is a Thread Tools drop down menu. You can set it as SOLVED from there.