PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation troubles

Ottawajoe
August 24th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop that currently runs Windows 7. When it boots to the Ubuntu, the installation GUI is so dark on the screen that I can barely see it. Can anyone help me?

My email is Mufferlup@gmail.com

maemi3916
August 24th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Have you tried to adjust the brightness of the monitor?

maemi3916
August 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/power-brighter.html

Megaptera
August 24th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Hi ottawajoe,
Some off topic help ...
All replies will be posted here so that others can learn too - so your email addr isn't needed. For that reason and to prevent it being harvested by spambots I suggest you remove it.
Hope you're OK with that?

Ottawajoe
August 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the spambot information. I am ok with your actions. My monitor works fine with Windows 7 which is currently loaded on my laptop. When I boot either from disc or USB stick, I get the first Ubuntu windows perfectly. When Ubuntu goes into installation mode, the screen virtually blacks out.

Rex Bouwense
August 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM
A little more information might be helpful. What are the specs of your computer? Are you trying to replace your current OS with Natty or are you trying to dual boot? Are you installing Ubuntu on its own side by side or are you using WUBI? How far does your installation go before your screen blacks out? Did you MD5sum the downloaded OS before you burned it to the disk or the flash drive? Did you burn it at the lowest possible speed? Sorry for so many stupid sounding questions but you didn't give us very much information to go on.:popcorn:

Mark Phelps
August 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM
When it boots to the Ubuntu, the installation GUI is so dark on the screen that I can barely see it.

I would strongly suggest that you do NOT try to force an installation. Instead, select the Try Ubuntu option -- to see if the screen darkening problem persists after you get to a desktop.

If it remains, you have a more serious problem that may prevent you from using Ubuntu once installed.