PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How much space left

BlackoutWorm
August 23rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hey. I'm using ubuntu 11.10, and I really like it.
Installed it the other day after I have now been using wubi fro about a month now.
But I have a question.
In Windows, i can easily see how much space there is left and used on each of my disks. How do I check the size here in ubuntu?
I tried to view the files in list with details but the size doesn't say anything at all.
I assume that's one of these bugs I've heard of. You know, when they say windows has viruses and linux has bugs.
So, how do I fix that bug, and is there a way I can see the size used and left?

raja.genupula
August 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
df -h
gonna provide you everything about space

sanderd17
August 23rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
wubi is always a bit weird (the filesystem used by wubi is seen as a single file by windows, so that could give problems). But you could try the app "baobab". It should be installed under a name like "disk space viewer" or something similar, but if you don't find it, just press ALT+F and execute "baobab" (without quotes) or type baobab in the unity search thingy.

haqking
August 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hey. I'm using ubuntu 11.10, and I really like it.
Installed it the other day after I have now been using wubi fro about a month now.
But I have a question.
In Windows, i can easily see how much space there is left and used on each of my disks. How do I check the size here in ubuntu?
I tried to view the files in list with details but the size doesn't say anything at all.
I assume that's one of these bugs I've heard of. You know, when they say windows has viruses and linux has bugs.
So, how do I fix that bug, and is there a way I can see the size used and left?

df -h

or if you want a GUI then system>administration>system monitor then choose file systems tab

BlackoutWorm
August 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks a lot guys.
I love ubuntu. There are like 10 different ways to do things:)
Is there a way I can make it show the data from baobab either in the Computer folder or the sidebar, below or next to the disk name?
Not a big deal but I'm just used to see the size there.

raja.genupula
August 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks a lot guys.
I love ubuntu. There are like 10 different ways to do things:)
Is there a way I can make it show the data from baobab either in the Computer folder or the sidebar, below or next to the disk name?
Not a big deal but I'm just used to see the size there.
i know about terminal man . in terminal you have to give as this by cd to that folder

du -h gives each file in that folder and last line is its total size .

du -h | tail -n1 only total size , not gives individual size .