PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stone 4 TOTALe on 11.04

1clue
August 23rd, 2011, 04:50 AM
Hi,

Not long ago I stuck Ubuntu 11.04 on my girlfriend's laptop. So far so good, it's working much better for her than Vista was.

Now she wants to install Rosetta Stone 4 TOTALe. Actually it might be two copies, one on my box and one on hers. I need to learn Spanish, she needs to learn English.

I know it can be done, but I'm after the most pain-free mechanism for a non-expert. I really would like to avoid a VMware install, but does Crossover Office gain any advantage?

Her system is a laptop with a built-in webcam, mine is a desktop with an external USB webcam. Those are the only available microphones.

Thanks.

1clue
August 23rd, 2011, 04:53 AM
For that matter, has anyone tried the online version?

Mia1990
August 24th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I know Rosetta stone 3.2 works good in wine.Not sure about 4 you can check the wine db (http://appdb.winehq.org/) to see

1clue
August 24th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Wine db says garbage, and the Crossover db says untested.

I tried the online demo, and it seems to work really well. But that doesn't use a microphone, which I understand is the big PITA for Rosetta.

Do you know what it's written in? If this is just something written in Java for example, that would really make things simple. :)

1clue
August 24th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I was hoping that the "untested" part would mean that it was so easy nobody bothered to report back.