PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is there any way to get a usb Pinnacle DVC 101 to capture video?

joelbue
August 23rd, 2011, 03:07 AM
I'm using natty. is there any way to get a Pinnacle DVC 101 to capture video from composite source on Ubuntu Natty? it seems that when new releases break functionality they often are never fixed.

I'm also unaware of a simple GUI application to use in order to capture the video. VLC confuses me. It would need start and stop features.

thank you

handy
August 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Here's a how-to:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/248203-Converting-VHS-to-DVD-under-Linux-HOWTO

I think when I converted a few files some years back I just used DeVeDe to capture it.

joelbue
August 24th, 2011, 12:52 AM
hello sir

does that how-to work with natty? my device would last work with something like lucid. missing /dev/ point or something. also i am using a 3.x mainline kernel so i do not know if that fixes the missing /dev/ mount point.

also of note, my video source is a DirecTV receiver.

thank you

handy
August 24th, 2011, 01:50 AM
hello sir

does that how-to work with natty? my device would last work with something like lucid. missing /dev/ point or something. also i am using a 3.x mainline kernel so i do not know if that fixes the missing /dev/ mount point.

also of note, my video source is a DirecTV receiver.

thank you

A more recent distro/kernel should make things easier (though there are always exceptions).

I don't know about the /dev/ mount point problem. If you can't get around it you could contact the DeVeDe creator by email as he makes it clear on the DeVeDe main page that he is willing to help.

You really should get an answer here, though you must provide a good description of the problem if you want to find a solution. The same goes for contacting the creator of DeVeDe or anyone else for that matter. The more specific the description the easier it is to solve the problem.