PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to use 2 sound card simultaneously

svkndv
August 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
My internal sound card is used for Youtube and normal movie watching. Second sound card M-Audio connected to amplifier and speaker which is in living room.
Most of the time I need to use these sound card simultaneously. I want second sound card to be used with banshee or rhythom box to listen audio and keep the internal sound card for any other default audio usage.

I was able to configure this in windows but in Ubuntu I am unable to configure it. Any help is appreciated.

I have searched and red many thread on this topic none of those have a working solution for ubuntu 11.04

svkndv
August 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Any help?

tjones00
August 23rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
This is the "holy grail" it seems of most sound setups. To answer your question it should be possible. However you will have to get down and dirty with your alsa configuration files and probably eliminate pulseaudio.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Digital_Sound

Scroll down to

It is possible to configure ALSA to output PCM audio simultaneously on both the analog and the digital outputs. This means that any 2-channel audio MythTV decodes will be sent to both outputs. It does not mean that you will get AC-3 or DTS through the digital output and analog audio through the analog output. To configure ALSA this way, add the following at the end of the above /etc/asound.conf or .asoundrc file:

To get an idea about how it should be setup.

svkndv
August 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I want use analogue out from both card simultaneously can any one help?

svkndv
September 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Now I know why any linux flavor is not popular, Last 5 years i am tried with various distributions of linux and realized one thing it is not for versatile use. There will be one or other problem always come up and there wont be any solution until unless you get into code level.

May be i will be back in 1-2 years if i could convince myself. until then bye to all. Planning to upgrade to windows 7

hcforde
September 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM
That's funny, I am here because I wan to use multiple sound cards in Windows 7 and can not find a way to do it. There is no code level there.