PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ASUS u36sd support thread

Pages : [1] 2

nwadams
August 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
Link to the wiki for u36sd
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD

So it turns out that I had a usb 3.0 problem with mine so I do not know when or even if I will be getting a u36sd with ubuntu.

Works out of the box
Audio
Audio out port
Internal microphone
Mic port
HDMI port
Video (without desktop effects)
USB
Wireless Networking
WiFi switch (Fn+F2)
VGA port
Card reader
Brightness control (Fn+F5/F6)
LCD on/off switch (Fn+F8)
Multitouch touchpad (two finger scrolling, activate via System Settings)
Intel Turbo Boost (to test, run turbostat from the package acpidump)

Does not work out of the box
Desktop effects
Nvidia card
Volume control (Fn+F10/F11/F12)
Multimedia controls (Fn+Up/Down/Left/Right)
Suspend
Bluetooth

Helpful Tips and Tweaks
Unity 3D and Nvidia graphics support: Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT install the Nvidia graphics drivers. It will not work.
Options:
1. use this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10557451&postcount=5) to disable the nvidia gpu and just use the intel gpu.
2. Install bumblebee/Ironhide for dual graphics support.

How to fix webcam orientation. Follow the instructions here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC) to fix webcam orientation.

Frequently Asked Questions
Will the Nvidia Graphics drivers work? No they will not. Nvidia is not supporting Optimus in Linux so the official Nvidia drivers will not work with this laptop. Do NOT install them, it will only create problems. The only way to make use of the Nvidia graphics card in Linux is to use Bumblebee/Ironhide otherwise you are stuck using the Intel hd3000 that is integrated with the cpu.

If anyone has a u36sd already please post what works/what doesn't work and any extra configuration/tweaks you had to do to get things to work properly. I will add your advice and instructions to this main post so we can make a comprehensive guide for other owners.

Thanks to:
Martin Juhl - Bumblebee/Ironhide (http://www.martin-juhl.dk/)

adrien214
August 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Hello,
I just installed 11.04_desktop_amd64 fresh on my U36SD after wiping clean the harddrive and merging all partitions with gparted live.

The first problem that appeared was that the hardware was not sufficient for running unity. This issue has to do with the dual intel onboard/nvidia graphics. I just discovered bumblebee (https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/blob/master/README) and Nouveau (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1046504) and am going to look into this later. The best thing to do to have the thing running with intel is to disable unity upon logon (ubuntu-standard option) or install unity 2D (sudo apt-get install unity-2d).

EDIT : not all Fn keys shortcuts work (yet);)

popsch
August 23rd, 2011, 01:15 AM
I also plan on getting that ASUS notebook. Have you tried these drivers?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-275.21-driver.html

nwadams
August 23rd, 2011, 03:12 AM
I also plan on getting that ASUS notebook. Have you tried these drivers?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-275.21-driver.html

That won't work. The u36sd has nvidia optimus which nvidia is not supporting. You will need to use the intel drivers and acpi_call to disable the nvidia gpu OR use some form of bumblebee.

popsch
August 23rd, 2011, 04:15 AM
Does Nvidia have a good track history of building Linux drivers? It's pity otherwise, because the Asus looks really good.

adrien214
August 23rd, 2011, 07:49 AM
now bumblebee has forked to Ironhide (https://launchpad.net/~mj-casalogic/+archive/ironhide/)as well...

arneanka
August 24th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I've recently ordered a u36sd but havnt recieved it yet. Looking at this thread I get kind of suspicious though... isnt the u36sd just the u36jc but with the sandy bridge processor? I manage to see no other difference in terms of hardware... So wouldnt one of all the guide for u36jc ubuntu work on the u36sd?

Thanks in advance!

adrien214
August 24th, 2011, 12:48 PM
it would indeed (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705406):) thanks for pointing it out ! I'll try the setup guide for 10.10 (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC) as well, some issues might have similar solution.

and just a quote from the setup guide :

Lima November

Boot splash

As usual with Intel cards, Plymouth boot splash will show too late in the boot process. If you want it to appear earlier, type this in a console window:

sudo echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
sudo update-initramfs -u

You might get a little bit slower boot, but it will look much consistent (IMHO).

arneanka
August 24th, 2011, 01:20 PM
it would indeed (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705406):) thanks for pointing it out ! I'll try the setup guide for 10.10 (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC) as well, some issues might have similar solution.

and just a quote from the setup guide :

Thats awesome! I was so scared that the u36sd wouldnt work while the u36jc would that I almost cancelled my order to get the u36jc instead, thats how much I want ubuntu!

Please keep us posted in how things are working out for you both with 11.04 and 10.10. Myself I havnt, from the looks of it, grown too attracted to unity but it would be interesting to know if it works on the u36 with the nvidia gpu disabled. Somebody told me compiz works that way, so I guess unity should too right? Or do we have to use 2d unity? I heard that that one had a horrible graphic for the workspaces.

Gosh, I really cant stand the wait for my u36sd :D

nwadams
August 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Thats awesome! I was so scared that the u36sd wouldnt work while the u36jc would that I almost cancelled my order to get the u36jc instead, thats how much I want ubuntu!

Please keep us posted in how things are working out for you both with 11.04 and 10.10. Myself I havnt, from the looks of it, grown too attracted to unity but it would be interesting to know if it works on the u36 with the nvidia gpu disabled. Somebody told me compiz works that way, so I guess unity should too right? Or do we have to use 2d unity? I heard that that one had a horrible graphic for the workspaces.

Gosh, I really cant stand the wait for my u36sd :D

With the new bumblebee/ironhide we are going to be able to take advantage of the dual graphics as well instead of just disabling the nvidia card. So that will be different from the u36jc instructions (bumblebee/ironhide didn't exist then)

But I created this thread in case asus threw a curveball at us with the new model. I suspect the instructions will end up being very similar though.

arneanka
August 24th, 2011, 01:29 PM
With the new bumblebee/ironhide we are going to be able to take advantage of the dual graphics as well instead of just disabling the nvidia card. So that will be different from the u36jc instructions (bumblebee/ironhide didn't exist then)

But I created this thread in case asus threw a curveball at us with the new model. I suspect the instructions will end up being very similar though.

Taking advantage of the dual graphics just seems like a dream. But does the fn-key really not work? I thought they did in u36jc, is there any known difference between the models in this aspect?

adrien214
August 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM
the fn key thingy should be updated in the first post as I haven't had the time to fix this on mine (i discovered the u36jc setup guide just today) and used another fix for it.

also dual graphics im not too sure about it yet, i installed ironhide and i think i messed up the config when choosing the output screen so i had to remove it and it messed up the whole system to point of non-return (e.g. fresh install).

arneanka
August 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM
the fn key thingy should be updated in the first post as I haven't had the time to fix this on mine (i discovered the u36jc setup guide just today) and used another fix for it.

also dual graphics im not too sure about it yet, i installed ironhide and i think i messed up the config when choosing the output screen so i had to remove it and it messed up the whole system to point of non-return (e.g. fresh install).

I kind of feel like I could survive without dual graphics too as long as stuff doesnt look horrible (will just dual boot in W7 for games, which I hardly ever play).

But how does things work out? Compiz? Does the Unity Wokrplace manager run smoothly?

Greatly thankful for your time and answers!

adrien214
August 24th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I've sadly only managed to run my machine with failsafe graphics until now so I dont know if the intel HD onboard can manage compiz. Gotta install or unity-3d unity-2d (sudo apt-get install unity-2d and then select unity-2d in login window options).

Also if you plan on disabling the nvidia, please read the setup guide above as well asthis page (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10557451&postcount=5).

but I have to say that I find unity deeply repulsive, I need a normal desktop and compiz is a waste of time ^__^ I mean, glitters are for windows because the inside is hiding the ugly and rusty carcasse of 3.1, but I disgress.

olof_
August 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
hello out there! Im so glad I found this thread, and its only some hours old:)

On my first install I was able to get the real Unity (Unity 3d) to work (I do love it...) but then I tried to install the latest nvidia drivers from the nvidia website (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux-display-ia32-280.13-driver-uk.html) and gdm/x died on me.

After a ubuntu reinstall (solving problems the easy way...) unity 3d does not work anymore.

When installing ubuntu for the first time I first started Windows 7 and there selected the nvidia 520m (performance mode) and then rebooted and installed ubuntu. Then Unity 3d worked. the second time I first had ubuntu without any GUI and then formatted the drive and reinstalled. then unity 3d did not work.

I confirm that the fn keys does not work, and in skype the video is upside down. But the multitouch seems to work though:)

arneanka
August 24th, 2011, 06:04 PM
hello out there! Im so glad I found this thread, and its only some hours old:)

On my first install I was able to get the real Unity (Unity 3d) to work (I do love it...) but then I tried to install the latest nvidia drivers from the nvidia website (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux-display-ia32-280.13-driver-uk.html) and gdm/x died on me.

After a ubuntu reinstall (solving problems the easy way...) unity 3d does not work anymore.

When installing ubuntu for the first time I first started Windows 7 and there selected the nvidia 520m (performance mode) and then rebooted and installed ubuntu. Then Unity 3d worked. the second time I first had ubuntu without any GUI and then formatted the drive and reinstalled. then unity 3d did not work.

I confirm that the fn keys does not work, and in skype the video is upside down. But the multitouch seems to work though:)

Well what is ubuntu without a little fidgeting? Haha... Well Im glad FN-keys are working.

There are ways to get the webcam to work for the U36JC, and also a guide on how you turn of the nvidia graphics (dont run these drivers!!) - did you check it out? Hopefully it will make things easier for you.

Link
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705406

olof_
August 24th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Fn shortcut keys - adrien214

there are several fn-keys and quite alot of them are actually working.

Working

“ZZ” Icon (F1): Places the Notebook PC in suspend mode.
Radio Tower (F2): Toggles theinternal wireless LAN on.
Sun Down Icon (F5): Decreases the display brightness.
Sun Up Icon (F6): Increases the display brightness.
LCD Icon (F7): Toggles the display panel on and off.
LCD/Monitor Icons (F8): Toggles between the Notebook PC’s LCD display and an external monitor.
Num Lk (Ins): Toggles the numeric keypad on and off.
Scr Lk (Del):
Scroll Lock works. At least it shows up in when running "xev" -- none of the other non-working keys do.

Not Working

Crossed-out Touchpad (F9)
Crossed Speaker Icons (F10)
Speaker Down Icon (F11)
Speaker Up Icon (F12)
Stop (Up Arrow)
Play/Pause (Down Arrow)
Next (Right Arrow)
Previous (Left Arrow)

observe that this is with an out of the box setup. Ubuntu 11.04, x86.

olof_
August 24th, 2011, 09:52 PM
There are ways to get the webcam to work for the U36JC
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705406

Well, not anymore...

Everything went fine until I got to the command "sudo apt-get install gtk-v4l". When I run this command, I get the message "Unable to locate package gtk-v4l". Note that I added the repository OK and that I was able to install libv4l-0.

the same happens for me, there is no package named gtk-v4l in that ppa anymore.

adrien214
August 25th, 2011, 08:09 AM

this is really really interesting, it means there's a bios switch available, just have to find it I guess.

anyway, follow updates for bumblebee on twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/Team_Bumblebee). latest release yesterday.

jadahl
August 26th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Anyone bought the one with an SSD drive (I think usually a 160GB one) instead of the magnetic disk hard drive? In that case, what manufacturer and model is it? I've been trying to find this out, but seems almost like some kind of secret, which makes me reluctant to buying.

nwadams
August 26th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Anyone bought the one with an SSD drive (I think usually a 160GB one) instead of the magnetic disk hard drive? In that case, what manufacturer and model is it? I've been trying to find this out, but seems almost like some kind of secret, which makes me reluctant to buying.

ask the retailer thats selling it

jadahl
August 26th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I asked the web shop staff of two different shops. They didn't know. I asked them to ask their supplier, and they replied they probably don't know either. I made a technical inquiry to the ASUS support, and they just said ask the retailer. Something funny with that SSD drive!

nwadams
August 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I asked the web shop staff of two different shops. They didn't know. I asked them to ask their supplier, and they replied they probably don't know either. I made a technical inquiry to the ASUS support, and they just said ask the retailer. Something funny with that SSD drive!

don't buy it with the ssd then.

jadahl
August 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM
don't buy it with the ssd then.
That doesn't help me in getting a new laptop with an SSD drive. (No, putting one there myself is not an option since it will void the warranty).

nwadams
August 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
That doesn't help me in getting a new laptop with an SSD drive. (No, putting one there myself is not an option since it will void the warranty).

apparently replacing the ssd doesn't void the warranty. But i'd confirm that with asus

jadahl
August 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM
apparently replacing the ssd doesn't void the warranty. But i'd confirm that with asus

That's exactly what I did, and the reply was that it indeed does void warranty. Since it's a slim model, the storage device is placed in a quite inconvenient place. It's one of those "detach the whole upper part including keyboard and what not" procedures.

nwadams
August 26th, 2011, 01:58 PM
That's exactly what I did, and the reply was that it indeed does void warranty. Since it's a slim model, the storage device is placed in a quite inconvenient place. It's one of those "detach the whole upper part including keyboard and what not" procedures.

Hmm, ******. From what I have read about replacing the u36sd hard drive and the u36jc hard drive is that you will probably have to put the original back in for warranty work but there is no warranty is void stickers or anything that you have to tear.

My dell on the other hand has removing the CD tray as a warranty sanctioned replacement. It involves taking the screen off and the keyboard off. But dell made nice instructions for it and its actually really easy. Its just a some dis-assembly required project.

jadahl
August 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Hmm, ******. From what I have read about replacing the u36sd hard drive and the u36jc hard drive is that you will probably have to put the original back in for warranty work but there is no warranty is void stickers or anything that you have to tear.
So the warranty is voided if you change the storage device, except there is no way of telling if I put back the original one after it broke?

Anyway, what the staff of the webshop and the ASUS support person said, I cannot change the storage device.

condefenring
August 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have the following issues with my u33jc.

1) i only can see a GPU with LSPCI . I can change BIOS value to jump from nvidia to intel card without problem but visibility with both cards is impossible. I guess this is the reason bumblebee project does not work for me.
Thats normal. It is needed a bios update in order to make work bumblebee.????
2) HDMI output does not work with Intel card. If i change bios to boot up with nvidia (nouveau driver) then output works but HDMI sound output does not work. Some know a workaround for this problem????.

Thanks in advance.

another_sam
August 27th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I'm also interested in having HDMI output. With any one of the cards.

olof_
August 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I have the following issues with my u33jc.

Not to be rude or anything, but I think this thread is called "ASUS u36sd support thread" for a reason... It is because just this thread is about just ASUS u36sd.

Try starting one for just your model, or search to see if anyone else already done it.

olof_
August 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I'm also interested in having HDMI output. With any one of the cards.

I will buy a hdmi/dvi cable in this week, but for now I can only confirm that with bumblebee installed the vga connector works like a charm using both the intel and the nvidia gpu.

olof_
August 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Also, talking about things that work.

Hardware that works out-of-the-box:

tested:

Microphone jack
Headphone jack
VGA port (as I mentioned in my previous post)
USB 2.0 ports
Ethernet port
Memory card reader (tested only with SD-card)
Wireless connection
Built-in microphone
Built-in speakers

not tested (yet):

HDMI
USB 3.0 port

arneanka
August 29th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Also, talking about things that work.

Connectors that works out-of-the-box:

tested:

Microphone jack
Headphone jack
VGA port (as I mentioned in my previous post)
USB 2.0 ports
Ethernet port
Memory card reader (tested only with SD-card)

not tested (yet):

HDMI
USB 3.0 port

Got my ASUS u36sd today, charging it at the moment, can't wait to get started! Thanks alot for your opdates in this thread olof!

arneanka
August 30th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Has anybody come up with a fix for the fn-keys yet? Many of them seem to work but I cant get the volume ones to do!

Also, am I supposed to install the nvidia restricted drivers and then bumblee, or just bumblee straight away?

Thank you! :)

ms.shams
August 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Guys,

I'm planning to buy this model of ASUS, because of its special advantages.
I'm a web designer and i use ubuntu primarily.
please tell me about problems, are problems Annoying the user?
are you hoping for fixing problems in the new version of ubuntu? :icon_frown:

AbtZ
August 30th, 2011, 09:15 PM
there are several fn-keys and quite alot of them are actually working.

Working

“ZZ” Icon (F1): Places the Notebook PC in suspend mode.
Radio Tower (F2): Toggles theinternal wireless LAN on.
Sun Down Icon (F5): Decreases the display brightness.
Sun Up Icon (F6): Increases the display brightness.
LCD Icon (F7): Toggles the display panel on and off.
LCD/Monitor Icons (F8): Toggles between the Notebook PC’s LCD display and an external monitor.
Num Lk (Ins): Toggles the numeric keypad on and off.

Not Working

Crossed-out Touchpad (F9)
Crossed Speaker Icons (F10)
Speaker Down Icon (F11)
Speaker Up Icon (F12)
Stop (Up Arrow)
Play/Pause (Down Arrow)
Next (Right Arrow)
Previous (Left Arrow)

Not Tested (yet)

Scr Lk (Del)

observe that this is with an out of the box setup. Ubuntu 11.04, x86.
Scroll Lock works. At least it shows up in when running "xev" -- none of the other non-working keys do.

Doesn't anyone know how to fix them, or how to start at least? 'Twould be nice to get at least the volume keys to work.

olof_
August 31st, 2011, 01:31 AM
Guys,

I'm planning to buy this model of ASUS, because of its special advantages.
I'm a web designer and i use ubuntu primarily.
please tell me about problems, are problems Annoying the user?
are you hoping for fixing problems in the new version of ubuntu? :icon_frown:

My biggest issues atm are:

That the fn-key for disabling the touchpad does not work
And that the media fn-keys does not work.
Also that the web camera is upside down

for more details, see my previous posts: here for example (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11183644&postcount=17). I also recommend you to read through the whole thread.

olof_
August 31st, 2011, 01:40 AM
Also, am I supposed to install the nvidia restricted drivers and then bumblee, or just bumblee straight away?

First, read this (https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee).

then add this ppa: Stable Bumblebee releases (https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable)

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install bumblebee

then, restart.

to switch between the internal gpu and the nvidia gpu:

sudo apt-get install git

git clone git@github.com:mkottman/acpi_call.git
cd acpi_call
make
sudo insmod acpi_call.ko

I do not know if the following steps are really neccesary actually, but just to be shure:

then first make a script executable:

chmod +x ./test_off.sh

Now run this script:

./test_off.sh

to turn off the discrete graphics card:

echo '\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DOFF' > /proc/acpi/call

to turn it back on:

echo '\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DON' > /proc/acpi/call

I got this information from the following place: a linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com post (http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/2010/07/using-acpicall-module-to-switch-onoff.html)

FirstByté
August 31st, 2011, 05:26 AM
Has anybody come up with a fix for the fn-keys yet? Many of them seem to work but I cant get the volume ones to do!

This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10997488&postcount=9) should fix the fn-key issues

git clone git://git.iksaif.net/acpi4asus-dkms.git
cd acpi4asus-dkms
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe asus-nb-wmi

Though I have a diff. hardware (Asus U41S), the post has helped to get the ALL the fn-keys working even right up to 'xev'

Good luck

Follow Olf_'s instruction about Bumblebee.

ms.shams
August 31st, 2011, 08:42 AM
thank you for your replies :)
So as I realized, this laptop has two graphic card, and ubuntu can't switch between them itself.
But this problem has been solved by Bumblebee. right?

jadahl
August 31st, 2011, 08:49 AM
I created and started writing https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD . I only added parts that I have managed to test and fix so far, and since I got it yesterday, I haven't had time for much yet. Feel free to help out.

AbtZ
August 31st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Does suspend to ram work for you guys? For me it just goes to a blank, black screen and the only way to get out of it is to do a hard reset with the power key.

I am using Bumblebee/Ironhide as opposed to pure Bumblebee, though I'm not sure it would make a difference.

jadahl
August 31st, 2011, 07:21 PM
Does suspend to ram work for you guys? For me it just goes to a blank, black screen and the only way to get out of it is to do a hard reset with the power key.

I am using Bumblebee/Ironhide as opposed to pure Bumblebee, though I'm not sure it would make a difference.

Have you tried to follow the steps on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC ? I haven't confirmed that it works, but could be worth a try.

AbtZ
August 31st, 2011, 07:46 PM
I just tried it and I can confirm that suspend works after following the guide -- sweet! :) I would also recommend people do the hard drive power management fix, unless they want their drive to die all-to-soon.

Now, if only I could fix the "jumpy" behaviour of two-finger scrolling I would be all set.

olof_
August 31st, 2011, 07:51 PM

This will be "Bumblebee" developed for stability in the first place, with a new organization and support for as many distros as we can. We have rolled back all unstable features and made an all-way configurable installer (or we tried at least ;) ).

"Ironhide" is MrMEEE's new project, forked from the former and outdated/bugged MrMEEE/bumblebee repo. There are tons of forks for that repository and that's one of the reasons it became unstable. MrMEEE itself explains that situation and why he came up with his new project (best wishes btw :) )

taken from "What is the difference between MrMEEE/bumblebee, Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee and ironhide?", issue #52 (https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/issues/52) on github.

olof_
August 31st, 2011, 07:55 PM
This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10997488&postcount=9) should fix the fn-key issues

git clone git://git.iksaif.net/acpi4asus-dkms.git
cd acpi4asus-dkms
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe asus-nb-wmi

Well, it does actualy fix almost every key, exept the "disable the touchpad" (fn+f9) key.

thank you!

olof_
August 31st, 2011, 08:04 PM
thank you for your replies :)
So as I realized, this laptop has two graphic card, and ubuntu can't switch between them itself.
But this problem has been solved by Bumblebee. right?

Close to. See my previous post. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11203583&postcount=39)

jadahl
August 31st, 2011, 08:10 PM
I just tried it and I can confirm that suspend works after following the guide -- sweet! :) I would also recommend people do the hard drive power management fix, unless they want their drive to die all-to-soon.

Now, if only I could fix the "jumpy" behaviour of two-finger scrolling I would be all set.

Did you use the exact same script as on the U36JC wiki page, or did you change it some how?

Because, it seems to not to do the trick on my U36SD. Instead of never suspending, mine suspends, but fails to resume. Instead it boots up the regular way after I try to wake it up by pressing space or enter.

I noticed that the third bus serial number 07:00.0 probably has changed to 04:00.0 on U36SD (I compared lspci -v outputs and the USB 3 bus sits on 04:00.0 on U36SD and 07:00.0 on U36JC).

However, changing the BUSES3 variable doesn't solve the problem.

Did you tweak anything else, for example the asus-wmi kernel module (fn-keys) or the nvidia on/off tweaks?

_karo
August 31st, 2011, 08:13 PM
I can confirm that the HDMI output works out of the box on 11.04, with the default Intel drivers. I have bumblebee installed, but haven't used it yet. I've tried the HDMI out with my LCD TV and 22" LCD monitor, and the image is fine. Haven't tried whether I could also get sound through the HDMI output.

However, I haven't been able to disable the Nvidia card yet. None of the methods presented in here (http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/) work - I get an error message "Permission denied (publickey)." when trying to install acpi_call or asus-switcheroo. The commands suggested by olof_ (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11203583&postcount=39) result in the error message "bash: /proc/acpi/call: No such file or directory".

So has anyone actually managed to switch the Nvidia card off, and see a difference in battery life? If yes, how?

AbtZ
August 31st, 2011, 08:14 PM
OK, I have added the Fn-key and Suspend fixes to the wiki.

AbtZ
August 31st, 2011, 08:18 PM
Did you use the exact same script as on the U36JC wiki page, or did you change it some how?

Because, it seems to not to do the trick on my U36SD. Instead of never suspending, mine suspends, but fails to resume. Instead it boots up the regular way after I try to wake it up by pressing space or enter.

I noticed that the third bus serial number 07:00.0 probably has changed to 04:00.0 on U36SD (I compared lspci -v outputs and the USB 3 bus sits on 04:00.0 on U36SD and 07:00.0 on U36JC).

However, changing the BUSES3 variable doesn't solve the problem.

Did you tweak anything else, for example the asus-wmi kernel module (fn-keys) or the nvidia on/off tweaks?

The only modification I made was to change the file name to "20_custom-asus-u36sd". Not sure whether that would have any effect however.

Before gettings suspend to work I installed a bunch of other packages as well -- laptop-mode-tools, pm-utils etc etc. Not sure if they helped somehow.

jadahl
August 31st, 2011, 08:29 PM
The only modification I made was to change the file name to "20_custom-asus-u36sd". Not sure whether that would have any effect however.

Before gettings suspend to work I installed a bunch of other packages as well -- laptop-mode-tools, pm-utils etc etc. Not sure if they helped somehow.

If you run "grep 0000:07:00.1 /var/log/pm-suspend.log" does it give you any messages such as "No such device"? If not, could you attach a file containing the output of the command "lspci -v"?

AbtZ
August 31st, 2011, 08:36 PM
That grep command returned nothing.

I assume it's the nvidia part you want?

lspci -v:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1050 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1682
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at db000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
I/O ports at d000 [size=128]
Expansion ROM at dc000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [b4] Vendor Specific Information: Len=14 <?>
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>
Kernel modules: nvidia-current, nouveau, nvidiafb

olof_
August 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah!
the webcamera issue is solved:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libv4l

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libv4l-0

sudo gedit /etc/environment

and add "LIBV4LCONTROL_FLAGS=3" to the end.

mine looks like this now:

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
LIBV4LCONTROL_FLAGS=3

then reboot, and then cheese will work ok.

but to get skype to work:

if you are on a x86 system as I am, start skype through terminal with the following command:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

jadahl
August 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM

lspci -v:

Interesting. This differs from mine. Yours doesn't contain any USB 3.0 Host Controller.

04:00.0 USB Controller: Fresco Logic FL1000G USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1039
Physical Slot: 3
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 48
Memory at dd200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [80] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
Kernel modules: xhci-hcd

olof_
August 31st, 2011, 08:53 PM
However, I haven't been able to disable the Nvidia card yet. None of the methods presented in here (http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/) work - I get an error message "Permission denied (publickey)." when trying to install acpi_call or asus-switcheroo. The commands suggested by olof_ (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11203583&postcount=39) result in the error message "bash: /proc/acpi/call: No such file or directory".

So has anyone actually managed to switch the Nvidia card off, and see a difference in battery life? If yes, how?

sorry, I missed some parts when I wrote how to do it.

to switch between the internal gpu and the nvidia gpu:

sudo apt-get install git

git clone git@github.com:mkottman/acpi_call.git
cd acpi_call
make
sudo insmod acpi_call.ko

I do not know if the following steps are really neccesary actually, but just to be shure:

then first make a script executable:

chmod +x ./test_off.sh

Now run this script:

./test_off.sh

to turn off the discrete graphics card:

echo '\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DOFF' > /proc/acpi/call

to turn it back on:

echo '\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DON' > /proc/acpi/call

I got this information from the following place: a linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com post (http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/2010/07/using-acpicall-module-to-switch-onoff.html)

i have updated the post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11203583&postcount=39) now. I solved the "Permission denied" by just doing a
sudo ls before, as the authorization is saved a while.

jadahl
August 31st, 2011, 09:04 PM

I assume it's the nvidia part you want?

Actually what the suspend/resume script does is unbind/bind the USB buses before suspending and after resuming. Does your laptop have a USB 3.0 port? On your original attachment I could see no USB 3.0 controller, which might be the reason suspend works for you but not for me.

The command "ls -l /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb*" gives me

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-08-31 23:54 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-08-31 23:54 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-08-31 21:54 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.3/0000:04:00.0/usb3

Is the output of the above command the same for you?

nwadams
August 31st, 2011, 10:17 PM
awesome work guys. Can someone with a usb 3.0 hard drive try to do some long transfers with it (play a movie from it or something) because I tried two u36sd's and both of them had the drive reset after some time of playing the video. This happened for me in windows. I was hoping someone could test both in windows and Ubuntu for me and see if I should try another u36sd or if its a problem with all of them and go find another laptop.

Sorry I have been super busy and sick, I promise I will get around to updating the first post later this week.

AbtZ
August 31st, 2011, 10:59 PM
Actually what the suspend/resume script does is unbind/bind the USB buses before suspending and after resuming. Does your laptop have a USB 3.0 port? On your original attachment I could see no USB 3.0 controller, which might be the reason suspend works for you but not for me.

The command "ls -l /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb*" gives me

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-08-31 23:54 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-08-31 23:54 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-08-31 21:54 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.3/0000:04:00.0/usb3

Is the output of the above command the same for you?
This is strange, and I do not know what to make of it. First when I ran the command, I did not have the third usb device listed, but after trying to plug a USB thumb drive into the port, it started showing up. The thumb drive did not work in the port however.

jadahl
August 31st, 2011, 11:01 PM
This is strange, and I do not know what to make of it. First when I ran the command, I did not have the third usb device listed, but after trying to plug a USB thumb drive into the port, it started showing up. The thumb drive did not work in the port however.

Did it have identical numbers as I had? Does it show up in lspci after you plugged some device in?

AbtZ
August 31st, 2011, 11:16 PM
Nah, now it just shows up all the time:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-09-01 02:08 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-09-01 02:08 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-09-01 00:09 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.3/0000:04:00.0/usb3

Seems the same to me. Btw, I edited the other post to include a file with the full lspci output.

jadahl
September 1st, 2011, 07:09 AM
Nah, now it just shows up all the time:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-09-01 02:08 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-09-01 02:08 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2011-09-01 00:09 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3 -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.3/0000:04:00.0/usb3

Seems the same to me. Btw, I edited the other post to include a file with the full lspci output.

Could you try to use the following script (/etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-asus-u36sd) instead of the one from the wiki?

#!/bin/sh

BUSES="0000:00:1a.0 0000:00:1d.0"

case "${1}" in
hibernate|suspend)
# Switch USB buses off
for bus in $BUSES; do
echo -n $bus | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind
done
;;
resume|thaw)
# Switch USB buses back on
for bus in $BUSES; do
echo -n $bus | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/bind
done
;;
esac

What it does is avoid unbind/bind of the non-existing USB3 controller at 0000:07:00.0 (and if it exists, it exists on 0000:04:00.0 but I remember seing somewher that XHCI suspend/resume issues requiring that hack has been fixed at least in 2.6.38 (which is the default one in Natty).

FirstByté
September 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Well, it does actualy fix almost every key, exept the "disable the touchpad" (fn+f9) key.

thank you!

You are welcome.

Currently, I put finding a fix for my 'failing resume' (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11208600&postcount=2) issue on a highly scale of things to do.

Well, my hardware is GT540M CUDA (Optimus); so I might be alone.

jadahl
September 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
You are welcome.

Currently, I put finding a fix for my 'failing resume' (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11208600&postcount=2) issue on a highly scale of things to do.

Well, my hardware is GT540M CUDA (Optimus); so I might be alone.

Did you try the script in in my last post? If you need to know what to do with it, look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD#Suspend but use the one above instead of the one there.

My theory is that one don't need to start/stop the XHCI (USB 3.0) controller. On my laptop it doesn't make any difference start/stopping it or not at all. However it seems more necessary to do so with the USB 2.0 controllers (which is what the script in my last post does).

Resume, though, does not work. It just boots up like normal when trying to wake it up.

I tried the /sys/power/vm_trace debug tool, but it have me no information I could make sense out of (different or non hash matches after different tries).

jadahl
September 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
A couple of progress reports.

Regarding the toggle touchpad keyboard button I have found out that it works perfectly fine. By running "synclient -l | grep TouchpadOff" one can observe that it changes between "1" and "0" when one presses the key repeatedly. The problem however is that the setting is ignored. Haven't looked into how to solve that yet.

Suspend resume works partly for me now. I'm using the updated script from the wiki page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD#Suspend) which is a subset of the original. My computer suspends without problems, but resume only seem to work if I wait for a while before resuming again. I only tested waiting either ~15s and it will reboot instead, or around 10min and resume works fine.

_karo
September 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
i have updated the post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11203583&postcount=39) now. I solved the "Permission denied" by just doing a
sudo ls before, as the authorization is saved a while.

Thanks. But it still doesn't work for me. First I give the "sudo ls" command, and then...

karo@alpha:~$ git clone git@github.com:mkottman/acpi_call.git
Cloning into acpi_call...
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
Sudo git is probably a bad idea, so how do I solve this problem?

glindste
September 3rd, 2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks. But it still doesn't work for me. First I give the "sudo ls" command, and then...

karo@alpha:~$ git clone git@github.com:mkottman/acpi_call.git
Sudo git is probably a bad idea, so how do I solve this problem?

I got that error too, you probably need to set up an account and ssh-key for git by following this guide: http://help.github.com/linux-set-up-git/

FirstByté
September 3rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
A couple of progress reports.

Regarding the toggle touchpad keyboard button I have found out that it works perfectly fine. By running "synclient -l | grep TouchpadOff" one can observe that it changes between "1" and "0" when one presses the key repeatedly. The problem however is that the setting is ignored. Haven't looked into how to solve that yet.

Suspend resume works partly for me now. I'm using the updated script from the wiki page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD#Suspend) which is a subset of the original. My computer suspends without problems, but resume only seem to work if I wait for a while before resuming again. I only tested waiting either ~15s and it will reboot instead, or around 10min and resume works fine.

Thanks, it solved my suspend. However the 'wait-for-the-golden-20sec' still holds else the suspend is ruined.

I've been perusing through the 'udev' docs for the keysym's keymaps for the touchpad(fn-f9).

Great work. Keep it up I'll keep guys up to date if I can fix the mapping too.

I'm yet to re-map my media button to 'XF86MediaAudio'

As for my bumblebee/ironhide I made 'auto-load' script just add this to your 'asusxxx.sh' that you use for turning off nVidia such as:

sudo cp /path/to/your/your_asusOn-Off-script.sh /etc/init.d/

sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/your_asusOn-Off-script.sh
sudo update-rc.d your_asusOn-Off-script.sh
This will create the script for all the necessary runlevels (I find this wasteful, but who knows, Debian might change their runlevels someday so I left :) )

I modified '/etc/init.d/my_asus-On-Off-script.sh' to ensure 'acpi_call' module is loaded before I call it.

#!/bin/sh
# Power control for Asus U41SV Optimus
# by Ashon iKON
if ! lsmod | grep -q acpi_call; then
echo "Error: acpi_call module not loaded"
exit
fi
to

#!/bin/sh
# Power control for Asus U41SV Optimus
if ! lsmod | grep -q acpi_call; then
echo "I: acpi_call module not loaded"
echo "I: loading acpi_call..."
echo result=$(modprobe acpi_call)
echo "I: Done loading acpi_call"
fi

Hope someone also find this helpful
Cheers.

FirstByté
September 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
I got that error too, you probably need to set up an account and ssh-key for git by following this guide: http://help.github.com/linux-set-up-git/
Try downloading directly

mkottman / acpi_call (https://nodeload.github.com/mkottman/acpi_call/tarball/master)

and untar it.

olof_
September 4th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Regarding the toggle touchpad keyboard button I have found out that it works perfectly fine. By running "synclient -l | grep TouchpadOff" one can observe that it changes between "1" and "0" when one presses the key repeatedly. The problem however is that the setting is ignored.

I've been perusing through the 'udev' docs for the keysym's keymaps for the touchpad(fn-f9).

did you find anything? could you please post a link on where to find it, and I might try to read some of it too? What are there to do if I want to help?

jadahl
September 5th, 2011, 07:21 AM
did you find anything? could you please post a link on where to find it, and I might try to read some of it too? What are there to do if I want to help?

I'm guessing that what is needed to make it work is to have the synaptic driver or whatever respect the TouchpadOff setting. The keyboard button does change it, but it doesn't change the "off-ness" of the actual touch pad.

AbtZ
September 5th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Jadahl, I've tried your script and it works as well. Perhaps the script on the wiki page should be updated, then?

Also, perhaps I should have stated that I'm not running vanilla Ubuntu, but a derivative of Ubuntu -- Linux Mint.

Btw, does anyone else have a problem with shutting down? I get to a blank, black screen, fans and hdd spun down, but it won't shut itself off. Also, I have that infamouse Ubuntu hard drive Load Cycling issue, does anyone else experience this?

jadahl
September 5th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Jadahl, I've tried your script and it works as well. Perhaps the script on the wiki page should be updated, then?

I updated the wiki after I made it work locally, but thanks for the reminder.

AbtZ
September 5th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I now run Ubuntu Natty, and suspend works flawlessly after the fix is applied. No need to wait, I can go suspend->resume immediately with no issues.

AbtZ
September 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I just tested HDMI+sound. Seems to work out of the box.

jadahl
September 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I now run Ubuntu Natty, and suspend works flawlessly after the fix is applied. No need to wait, I can go suspend->resume immediately with no issues.

It would be interesting to know the specific hardware differences between the models where this is possible and where it is not. Not sure how to organize that though :P

AbtZ
September 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
One possible cause might be if you are running the 64-bit version of Ubuntu? I opted for 32 bit since it works better with all the crappy bank login-software we have here in Sweden.

jadahl
September 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
One possible cause might be if you are running the 64-bit version of Ubuntu? I opted for 32 bit since it works better with all the crappy bank login-software we have here in Sweden.

That, indeed, I do. I will try the 32 bit one from a USB memory just to try to confirm this.

Regarding crappy bank login.. I didn't think of that :P but it seems possible by using nspluginwrapper. I might give http://fribid.se/ a try as well.

jadahl
September 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I tried booting up from a 32 bit installer. I added the fix-usb-controllers and it managed to suspended, but resume still didn't work if i triggered it within the magic time period.

adrien214
September 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I just wanted to add that I've tested USB 3 hardware on the usb 3 port and it doesnt work on a 64bit system. lsusb just hangs.

here the bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/797455), already made by asus U36JC users.

but there is a fix here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705406) (bottom of first post, section usb 3.0)

it works.

ThomasArildsen
September 9th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I just wanted to add that I've tested USB 3 hardware on the usb 3 port and it doesnt work on a 64bit system. lsusb just hangs.

here the bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/797455), already made by asus U36JC users.

but there is a fix here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705406) (bottom of first post, section usb 3.0)

it works.
I can confirm this fix. Thanks!

epqr
September 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I'm trying to use this method to disable the nvidia graphics card. As reffered to in the first post.

Using acpi_call module to switch on/off discrete graphics card in Linux

One of the hybrid-graphics-linux Launchpad team members has
created a Linux kernel module to call ACPI methods through
/proc/acpi/call. The code is here:

http://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call

You can try it by installing the module and calling it like this:

git clone http://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call.git

cd acpi_call

make

sudo insmod acpi_call.ko

./test_off.sh

when i try to do the 'make' command, all I get is this error:

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64/build M=/home/jones/acpi_call modules
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [default] Error 2

Any idea on how to fix it? Thanks.

adrien214
September 9th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I'm trying to use this method to disable the nvidia graphics card. As reffered to in the first post.

when i try to do the 'make' command, all I get is this error:

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64/build M=/home/jones/acpi_call modules
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [default] Error 2

Any idea on how to fix it? Thanks.

do you have build-essential and kernel headers installed ?

adrien214
September 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I can confirm this fix. Thanks!

Now i can also confirm my system has lost BT utility and also network.... not sure if it has anything to do with the usb 3.0 fix... go dammit.

EDIT, had to rollback because this fixes usb 3.0 but screws the rest of the system...for some reason I did this on a previous install and it worked fine. I also had to do the entire BT procedure again to recover BT connectivity.

jlebla01
September 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hey guys,

Keep up the good work, almost everything is working.

One thing I cannot seem to get working is the USB 3.0 port. I see that the directions are not on the wiki page yet, so I'm curious if other people have had success.

I've tried the u36jc workaround which is to modify the grub script to include

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

With the pci-nomsi,noaer command, so that the file now has a line that looks like

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci-nomsi,noaer"

This doesn't appear to work. Is there something wrong with the formatting of this line? Spacing, etc... The usb port doesn't work with any device, USB 3 or not.

I'm really confused by this issue, since lspci -v returns

04:00.0 USB Controller: Fresco Logic FL1000G USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1039
Physical Slot: 3
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
Memory at dd200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
Kernel modules: xhci-hcd

everything looks correct to me.... I am running 64 bit ubuntu, so is there something special I need to do?

thanks in advance.

ubacux
September 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Hi,

I want to change HD to my U36SD. I saw the images on how do that here
(http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/112-barbara-datorer-koprad/1018104-asus-u36sd/index17.html#post11252173)But that's in swedish and i don't know that.
Someone in this forum can help me to translate it word by word in english.
below is the text ...

2. Lossa snäppena på den breda flatkabeln, de svarta pluttarna petas bakåt i pilarnas riktning med en liten mejsel för att låsa upp kontakten.

http://pic.xfastest.com/NB/ASUS/U36JC/U36JC-14.jpg

3. På den lilla flatkabel ska den svarta låsbygeln rakt upp, enkelt det också med en liten mejsel. Det sitter en sorts eltejp eller liknande som man lossar lite utan problem för att komma åt.

http://pic.xfastest.com/NB/ASUS/U36JC/U36JC-15.jpg

thanks a lot in advance !!!

ubacux
September 9th, 2011, 05:12 PM
about fix usb 3.0 i think the right sintax is

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi,noaer"
after pci put =
however maybe is better "quiet splash pci=nomsi", because some people putting "noaer" have experienced problems in using usb supports and have been obliged to format it.
but i'm not sure. So try at the moment with pci=nomsi and if you see that's usb 3.0 port doesnt work well try to add "noaer".

bye

nwadams
September 9th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great work. So it turns out that I had a usb 3.0 problem with the TWO asus u36sd's that my parents tried on my behalf...I might try another or I might end up getting a different laptop. I will try to keep things updated as best as possible.

jlebla01
September 9th, 2011, 07:33 PM
about fix usb 3.0 i think the right sintax is

after pci put =
however maybe is better "quiet splash pci=nomsi", because some people putting "noaer" have experienced problems in using usb supports and have been obliged to format it.
but i'm not sure. So try at the moment with pci=nomsi and if you see that's usb 3.0 port doesnt work well try to add "noaer".

bye

Sorry, I typed wrong in my previous post. I DID have

I've changed it to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi"

and it seems to be working fora usb 2 device. so I'll check the usb 3 functionality when I can. Thanks!

epqr
September 9th, 2011, 09:25 PM
do you have build-essential and kernel headers installed ?

Great! Thanks alot :) Linux newbie right here, haha. But i think it worked, I got trough all the steps.

The command 'lspci -vnnn | grep VGA' gave me

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0116] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:1050] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Before

and

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0116] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:1050] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)

After

Also anyone know what you would do if you wanted to enable the card again? With the acpi_call method that is.

jadahl
September 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Somewhat rough translations. Term translation credits goes to Wikipedia.

2. Lossa snäppena på den breda flatkabeln, de svarta pluttarna petas bakåt i pilarnas riktning med en liten mejsel för att låsa upp kontakten.

"2. Loosen the hooks on the wide ribbon cable. To disconnect, the black thingies are pushed backwards in the direction of the arrow by using a screwdriver."

3. På den lilla flatkabel ska den svarta låsbygeln rakt upp, enkelt det också med en liten mejsel. Det sitter en sorts eltejp eller liknande som man lossar lite utan problem för att komma åt.

"3. On the small ribbon cable the black lock hoop should be go straight upwards, which is also easily done with a screwdriver. There is some kind of electrical tape there that can be loosened to get access without problems."

jadahl
September 9th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Since the bluetooth fix only works until you reboot, I created a boot service that does it automatically when I start my computer. This will, AFAIK, not be needed in 11.10 since the correct USB ID already is known to the driver in question, but makes it work after a fresh boot on 11.04 (and other distributions running 2.6.38 (can enable other kernels easily).

The boot script is the following:

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: ath3011-workaround
# Required-Start: $local_fs
# Required-Stop: $local_fs
# X-Start-After: bluetooth
# X-Stop-After: bluetooth
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Atheros AR3011 work around.
# Description: Manually adds Atheros AR3011 with sflash firmware to
# the ath3k kernel module.
### END INIT INFO

. /lib/init/vars.sh
. /lib/lsb/init-functions

# Configure
DEFAULT_ENABLE_FOR=2.6.38
DEFAULT_USB_ID="13d3 3304"

ENABLE_FOR=${ATH3K_WORKAROUND_ENABLE_FOR-$DEFAULT_ENABLE_FOR}
USB_ID=${ATH3K_WORKAROUND_USB_ID-$DEFAULT_USB_ID}

SCRIPTNAME=ath3011-workaround

module_loaded()
{
egrep -q "^$1 " /proc/modules
}

unload_module()
{
module_loaded $1 || return 0
rmmod $1
case "$?" in
0)
return 0
;;
*)
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_failure_msg "Couldn't unload module $1"
return 2
;;
esac
}

load_module()
{
modprobe $2 $1
case "$?" in
0)
return 0
;;
*)
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_failure_msg "Couldn't load module $1"
return 2
;;
esac
}

fail()
{
log_failure_msg "$1"
}

check_workaround_enabled()
{
for x in $ENABLE_FOR
do
uname -r | egrep -q "^$x" && return 0
done
return 2
}

do_start()
{
check_workaround_enabled || return 0

unload_module btusb || return 2
unload_module ath3k || return 2
load_module ath3k -a || return 2
echo "$USB_ID" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/ath3k/new_id
case "$?" in
0)
;;
*)
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && \
log_warning_msg "Couldn't add new USB ID to ath3k module"
;;
esac
load_module btusb || return 2

return 0
}

case "$1" in
start)
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_daemon_msg "Starting $SCRIPTNAME"
do_start
case "$?" in
0|1) [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_end_msg 0 ;;
2) [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_end_msg 1 ;;
esac
;;
stop)
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_daemon_msg "Stopping $SCRITPTNAME"
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_end_msg 0
;;
status)
exit 0
;;
restart|force-reload)
log_daemon_msg "Restarting $DESC" "$NAME"
do_start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $SCRIPTNAME {start|stop|status|restart|force-reload}" >&2
exit 3
;;
esac

:

How to install and enable it:

gksu gedit /etc/init.d/ath3011-workaround

Paste the script above save and quit.

sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/ath3011-workaround
sudo update-rc.d ath3011-workaround defaults

These two commands makes the script executable and adds it to all relevant runlevels.

Now, even after a reboot or halt/boot, Bluetooth should just work.

adrien214
September 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM

These two commands makes the script executable and adds it to all relevant runlevels.

Now, even after a reboot or halt/boot, Bluetooth should just work.

thank you Sir !! EDIT ACHHHH ! lost BT again...

Also, the fix for Fn keys doesn't allow control of VLC, in my case...

jadahl
September 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
EDIT ACHHHH ! lost BT again...

Also, the fix for Fn keys doesn't allow control of VLC, in my case...

Lost BT again, how?

Regarding VLC, does it even have built in support for multimedia keys?

adrien214
September 11th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Lost BT again, how?

Regarding VLC, does it even have built in support for multimedia keys?

I dont know, I was browsing through BT connected to my mobile phone and then disconnected from it and plugged in the wire and somehow afterwards I noticed the icon was greyed out... now it's back on again... weird.

jadahl
September 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM
If you want to be able to enable "Disable touchpad while typing", you can follow the instructions here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-release-notes/+bug/582809/comments/144

olof_
September 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
If you want to be able to enable "Disable touchpad while typing", you can follow the instructions here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-release-notes/+bug/582809/comments/144

wonderful! thank you alot.

awilu
September 21st, 2011, 10:51 PM
I have big troubleshooting with openoffice or Libreoffice.

When I edit a presentation with impress or edit a tablesheet with calc, my computer freezes. I can do anything (mouse, keyboard), the only thing is to do a hard reboot.

It happen realy often (perhaps 2 times in 15 minutes).

I try libreoffice and openoffice, same trouble, less often with openoffice.

Anybody can help me ?

Awilu
Linux Mint 11 - asus U36S

daveg
September 21st, 2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks to all the great work of this thread, I'm the happy user of a new U36SD on Ubuntu. There's one thing that's been nagging me though. Does the CPU fan in everyone's U36SDs always run? Its not particularly loud but I can constantly feel the hot air getting pushed out of it.

adrien214
September 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I have big troubleshooting w...

I try libreoffice and openoffice, same trouble, less often with openoffice.

Anybody can help me ?

Awilu
Linux Mint 11 - asus U36S

Hi,maybe this (http://www.worldofnubcraft.com/1326/when-libreoffice-causes-ubuntu-to-lock-up/) ? next time, google, this is not the place for this laptop o os

adrien214
September 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks to all the great work of this thread, I'm the happy user of a new U36SD on Ubuntu. There's one thing that's been nagging me though. Does the CPU fan in everyone's U36SDs always run? Its not particularly loud but I can constantly feel the hot air getting pushed out of it.

it's not on mine... could you add the CPUfreq applet to the panel and check at what speed your cpus are running ?

or more simply type in a command line when not running any power demanding app:

grep "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo

andpaste the outcome

nwadams
September 23rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
so I ended up getting a u36sd and it works great in linux. I do have a few issues however

1. The brightness controls work but hey do not interact with the OS.

2. the USB 3.0 port does not work after suspend/resume

3. The left hardware key for the performance/power saving setting in windows does nothing in Ubuntu and I am wondering if I can assign it to something some how.

4. Has anyone had any luck getting dual graphics to work in Ubuntu (Ironhide or Bumblebee)

5. Anybody come up with a more reliable fix for the inverted webcam?

MarcusW
September 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Wow, thanks for this thread. I'm running Fedora 15 on my U36SD. I was just starting to give up on being able to deactivate the nvidia card and fixing suspend. Now it's working great. :)

AbtZ
September 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM
3. The left hardware key for the performance/power saving setting in windows does nothing in Ubuntu and I am wondering if I can assign it to something some how
The button is for performance/power saving or what appears to be some sort of quick launch (I haven't used the laptop in Windows, so I wouldn't know). In any case, because of its quick launch appearance, I bound it to make gnome-do appear. :)

I'm not sure if you need to apply the Asus function key fix to make Ubuntu aware of the key however.

nwadams
September 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM
The button is for performance/power saving or what appears to be some sort of quick launch (I haven't used the laptop in Windows, so I wouldn't know). In any case, because of its quick launch appearance, I bound it to make gnome-do appear. :)

I'm not sure if you need to apply the Asus function key fix to make Ubuntu aware of the key however.

I'm not sure if I needed to apply the Asus function key fix, but It works after applying the fix. I have figured out that I can assign it to something, I just haven't decided what yet...and there's that fn+c key with the screen thing on it to apply to somewhere too...hmm decisions decisions.

Does anyone know if the left hardware button has an LED like the right one?

TweFoju
September 28th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Sweet!!

my 36SD will arrive tomorrow, got my SSD and 8GM ram sitting ready for the baby to come :D

cant wait to try out all the fixes you guys have discovered!

just a question though, so the SSD i have now contain Windows XP, and i plan to clean install it and only use uBuntu

can i just do that when i am installing uBuntu and just say "clean install uBuntu" or something like "remove everything"

will that automatically erase all the Windows?

thanks!

TweFoju
September 29th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Guys, anyway, i have a couple of questions

so this is my 1st time using Bumblebee

it told us to add these before installing the Bumblebee PPA

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updatesbut before i do this, should i remove the nVidia Accelerated graphics driver under the "Additional Driver" ?

as it says it's active but it's not currently in use?

and what does this mean?

"To see if it works, run during around 30s:
glxspheres"

run during around 30s? i dont get what he's trying to say..

thanks!

dirtylobster
September 29th, 2011, 03:55 PM
just a question though, so the SSD i have now contain Windows XP, and i plan to clean install it and only use uBuntu

can i just do that when i am installing uBuntu and just say "clean install uBuntu" or something like "remove everything"

will that automatically erase all the Windows?

Yes. Just follow the instructions in the installer, it's easy!

TweFoju
September 29th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Yes. Just follow the instructions in the installer, it's easy!
yep, i spent 1/2 hour on the partitioning area figuring things out, was confusing at 1st, but after a while, i understand the way of it,

anyway, yeah, i am just more curious about my question for the Nvidia part

so do i have to remove the Nvidia driver on the Additional driver before i do any of those steps?

nwadams
September 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM
yep, i spent 1/2 hour on the partitioning area figuring things out, was confusing at 1st, but after a while, i understand the way of it,

anyway, yeah, i am just more curious about my question for the Nvidia part

so do i have to remove the Nvidia driver on the Additional driver before i do any of those steps?

Yes, you need to remove the Nvidia restricted driver before installing bumblebee or Ironhide. Let me know how bumblebee works because I might be switching to it from ironhide.

TweFoju
September 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
i will try it once i got home, but just so you know, i am a real newbie in uBuntu/Linux, so it might take a while for me to research very deep before i start installing as i dont plan to screw anything haha

nwadams
September 29th, 2011, 06:33 PM
i will try it once i got home, but just so you know, i am a real newbie in uBuntu/Linux, so it might take a while for me to research very deep before i start installing as i dont plan to screw anything haha

thats fine. Let us know if you have an questions or need any help along the way

TweFoju
September 29th, 2011, 06:48 PM
yes i do,

there are so many different version of how to install the Bumble bee, i am not sure which one is the best one? and the most proper way ?

like there are this one

http://askubuntu.com/questions/37590/nvidia-drivers-not-working-after-upgrade-why-can-i-only-see-terminal

then a couple of more on the net

which one you would recommend me to follow?

thanks!

--- update ---

hello

i tried the "git clone git@github.com:mkottman/acpi_call.git"

but i got this message:

The authenticity of host 'github.com (207.97.227.239)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 16:27:ac:a5:76:28:2d:36:63:1b:56:4d:eb:df:a6:48.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'github.com,207.97.227.239' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.

TweFoju
September 30th, 2011, 12:01 AM
sorry goddamn INTERNET, sorry guys dont mean to do triple post

TweFoju
September 30th, 2011, 12:01 AM
everything finally works!

twefoju@Wils:~/acpi_call$ sudo insmod acpi_call.ko
[sudo] password for twefoju:
twefoju@Wils:~/acpi_call$ chmod +x ./test_off.sh
twefoju@Wils:~/acpi_call$ ./test_off.sh
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.VGA._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.VGA._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.ATPX: failed
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.XTPX: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P3.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.MXR0.MXM0._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DOFF: works!
twefoju@Wils:~/acpi_call$
although i use the latest Bumblebee

not this one:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
but this one:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mj-casalogic/bumblebee
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install bumblebee

from

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/06/bumblebee-gets-a-ppa-brings-nvidia-optimus-graphics-switching-to-ubuntu/

anyway yeah. the "works!" appear

and im so happy!

just 1 question though

i use the Additional Driver from the Bumblebee, is that fine? i actually activate it ( the nVidia Experimental 3D support )

because it's from Bumblebee that is why i used it as you guys say not to install the nVidia one

----

however, when i restart the laptop, then i want to turn it off/on

it just say "bash: /proc/acpi/call: No such file or directory"

do i have to run the call again to turn it on? so basically whenever i turn off my laptop

i have to restart all these?

cd acpi_call
make
sudo insmod acpi_call.ko

chmod +x ./test_off.sh

./test_off.sh

adrien214
September 30th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Hello TweJofu,
"works!" means that acpi_call has found a way to shutdown your nvidia, not that bumblebee works. About losing the settings,I have the same problem here and from what I have read it looks like it's a file permission issue but I haven't figured it out...

TweFoju
September 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
so you're saying that the Bumblebee is still not working?

how so? because isn't Bumblebee the one making the switch? i dont get it. :confused:

TweFoju
October 2nd, 2011, 02:11 AM
Guys, a quick question for you all

are you guys experiencing any desktop crashes using 11.04 with your u36sd?

because i am starting to believe that the laptop is incompatible because i know 11.04 crashes a lot

but i revert back to 10.10, but i still get the same crash

i refuse to believe that it's hardware problem as using Win7 is fine

the random crash that will make your mouse cant even move, that kind of crash

i seen a lot of people with different crash with 11.04, but yea

are your 11.04's working fine on your laptop? because if it is, i might reconsider to return this latop and exchange with the new one

nwadams
October 2nd, 2011, 03:55 AM
Guys, a quick question for you all

are you guys experiencing any desktop crashes using 11.04 with your u36sd?

because i am starting to believe that the laptop is incompatible because i know 11.04 crashes a lot

but i revert back to 10.10, but i still get the same crash

i refuse to believe that it's hardware problem as using Win7 is fine

the random crash that will make your mouse cant even move, that kind of crash

i seen a lot of people with different crash with 11.04, but yea

are your 11.04's working fine on your laptop? because if it is, i might reconsider to return this latop and exchange with the new one

ya. i'm getting crashes once and a while.

hhwangbo
October 4th, 2011, 03:03 AM
ya. i'm getting crashes once and a while.

Same here. I'm getting random lock-ups where my mouse and keyboard don't appear to be working.

It requires a hard reset.

Any idea how I can debug this or find out why it's locking up on me?

nwadams
October 4th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Same here. I'm getting random lock-ups where my mouse and keyboard don't appear to be working.

It requires a hard reset.

Any idea how I can debug this or find out why it's locking up on me?

thats exactly what I have, no idea how to debug it either.

Anybody else have any info?

Awaking
October 4th, 2011, 05:50 PM
After installing Ubuntu 11.04 the Unity desktop and Compiz was turned off. I removed nVidia drivers, after that Unity and Compiz became running. But there are many lags :( For example while moving a window. Is there anyone with similar problem?

TweFoju
October 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
u guys know what? just forget about the Natty

Oneiric is in 9 days, i uninstalled my 11.04, now using windows back, waiting for 11.10

hoping that it will not crash anymore hehe

and hopefully, there will be a better GPU support ( although unlikely )

stayfrosty555
October 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM
After installing Ubuntu 11.04 the Unity desktop and Compiz was turned off. I removed nVidia drivers, after that Unity and Compiz became running. But there are many lags :( For example while moving a window. Is there anyone with similar problem?

Have you tried bumblebee explained earlier in this thread?

jadahl
October 7th, 2011, 10:53 PM

Did you try the work around described here? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD#Desktop_effects

cleaton
October 8th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I am interested in buying this laptop, but I am curious how 11.10 will work on it. Has anyone tried installing the latest beta?

jadahl
October 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I am interested in buying this laptop, but I am curious how 11.10 will work on it. Has anyone tried installing the latest beta?

I tried booting the beta2 installer from a USB drive and it worked pretty much as well as with 11.04, except you don't need for example the bluetooth hack. I ran checkbox (https://launchpad.net/checkbox) and there were some tests that failed (don't recall which ones), but that's partly because I didn't apply some of the hacks needed in 11.04.

adrien214
October 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Twefoju, you will have to wait for 12.04 for better optimus support with the Wayland display system from what i have read...

crysman
October 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I would like to thank to all people making Ubuntu such a user supporting-oriented system. I've been a bit disappointed with my ASUS U36SD and Ubuntu - not working USB3, not working Fn keys, suspend problem...

But almost everything is explained here, how to fix.. Thanks.

I am about to wait a few days for final Ubuntu 11.10 to see what will be left to solve in the new release. I suppose lot of things will be working there just out-of-the-box (except for the Nvidia vs Intel graphic card problem). Or am I wrong?

Greetings
crysman
(currently on Xubuntu 11.04)

crysman
October 12th, 2011, 11:56 PM

So it turns out that I had a usb 3.0 problem with mine so I do not know when or even if I will be getting a u36sd with ubuntu.

Works out of the box
Audio
Audio out port
Internal microphone
Mic port
HDMI port
Video (without desktop effects)
USB
Wireless Networking
WiFi switch (Fn+F2)
VGA port
Card reader
Brightness control (Fn+F5/F6)
LCD on/off switch (Fn+F8)
Multitouch touchpad (two finger scrolling, activate via System Settings)
Intel Turbo Boost (to test, run turbostat from the package acpidump)

Desktop effects
Nvidia card
Multimedia controls (Fn+Up/Down/Left/Right)
Suspend
Bluetooth

If anyone has a u36sd already please post what works/what doesn't work and any extra configuration/tweaks you had to do to get things to work properly. I will add your advice and instructions to this main post so we can make a comprehensive guide for other owners.

Hi, I am waiting for Xubuntu 11.10 to get some issues fixed automatically on my U36SD, then I'll post more.
BUT... there is no info about the fingerprint reader - how to get it working?

Thanks a lot
crysman

nwadams
October 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Hi, I am waiting for Xubuntu 11.10 to get some issues fixed automatically on my U36SD, then I'll post more.
BUT... there is no info about the fingerprint reader - how to get it working?

Thanks a lot
crysman

I didn't even know this model had a fingerprint reader option. Mine and I guess everybody else's doesn't currently have one.

crysman
October 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I didn't even know this model had a fingerprint reader option. Mine and I guess everybody else's doesn't currently have one.

Yes it does (some models - like mine), look e.g. here (http://www.netbooklive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/asus-u36s-1.jpg)... I would really like to make it work under Ubuntu.

I've tried fprint, but it does not work :(

$ apt-cache pkgnames | grep fprint
xfprint4
libfprint-dev
fprint-demo
libpam-fprint
libfprint0

nwadams
October 13th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Your best bet is to find out the part that is used and then see if there are generic instructions for the part or other laptops that use the part. I'm sorry I can't be more help, but it doesn't seem that many people have the model with the fingerprint reader.

On another note, I am going to upgrade to 11.10 tonight and will update on how that goes.

crysman
October 14th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Your best bet is to find out the part that is used and then see if there are generic instructions for the part or other laptops that use the part. I'm sorry I can't be more help, but it doesn't seem that many people have the model with the fingerprint reader.

On another note, I am going to upgrade to 11.10 tonight and will update on how that goes.

Fingerprint reader> what a pitty :((
"..to find out the part that is used.." - how, please?

upgrade to 11.10> Great. I've just updated. Have to go sleep, but so far I've seen:

Fn keys are working (except of disabling touchpad).
temperature (acpitz-0) is now +10 °C greater than before (raised from 51 to 61) - no CPU load!! What is that? :( Could it be somehow connected with NVIDIA graphic card drivers? I do not know which one is active or if both..

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1050 (rev a1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
04:00.0 USB Controller: Fresco Logic FL1000G USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)

PS: After booting 2.6.38-12-generic temperature again 51. Strange... But must be fixed - not only because of the fan noise :(

Awaking
October 15th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Did you try the work around described here? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD#Desktop_effects
Yes

Have you tried bumblebee explained earlier in this thread?
Not yet.

I have installed Ubuntu 11.10.
As for me 11.10 is more stable.
Avarage temperature is 57-60*C. Fan noise is clearly heard =(
Unity, USB 3.0, almost all FN keys, bluetooth, wifi work out of box. nVidia driver is not activated automatically. But there are many troubles connected with Unity. There are some lags of interface.

While changing the virtual desktop u can see this funny effect (i use two monitors):
http://s013.radikal.ru/i323/1110/c7/b3ad8214391at.jpg (http://radikal.ru/F/s013.radikal.ru/i323/1110/c7/b3ad8214391a.png)

stayfrosty555
October 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I can't seem to get that much battery life out of 11.10. I reinstalled bumblebee and the acpi_call, ran the test script and it says it found a way to turn nvidia-card off and then i turned it off. The battery life went from 4 hours to 5 hours. I got 7 hours+ on Ubuntu 11.04.

What do you get out of the battery and what have you done?

nwadams
October 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I can't seem to get that much battery life out of 11.10. I reinstalled bumblebee and the acpi_call, ran the test script and it says it found a way to turn nvidia-card off and then i turned it off. The battery life went from 4 hours to 5 hours. I got 7 hours+ on Ubuntu 11.04.

What do you get out of the battery and what have you done?

There are battery issues in 11.10. Hopefully they get resolved soon.

Awaking
October 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I have tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10, Xubuntu 11.10, Kubuntu 11.10, Linux Mint 2011 and what can I say... KDE with its visual effects is faster than Gnome-based distributives. I have tested it with no any nVidia drivers installed. Only Intel HD3000. Is there anybody who have good perfomance with Gnome?
And one more note. All these operating systems heats CPU more than WIndows 7. As the result - fan noise is louder =) For example if you copy any files, Ubuntu can heat CPU up to the 70*C, while Windows keeps CPU temperature ~50-52*C.

stayfrosty555
October 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM
There are battery issues in 11.10. Hopefully they get resolved soon.

After a quick google I found a post made by user tista on this forum, which actually helps getting about 2 more hours of battery life, http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11346775&postcount=7

patrikt
October 18th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hello. Just installed 11.10 on my new u36sd and atleast for me the Volume control (Fn+F10/F11/F12) works "out of the box". Put a note about that in the original post.

crysman
October 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM
After a quick google I found a post made by user tista on this forum, which actually helps getting about 2 more hours of battery life, http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11346775&postcount=7

I've added all three i915-like parameters (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_i915_power&num=1) to GRUB. That brought the temperature back to to á 50°C.

Moreover, I applied some of these tips:
http://www.lesswatts.org/
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_reduce_power_consumption

resulting in á 13W discharge rate instead of previous 24W(measured by powertop)!

Great!

nwadams
October 18th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I've added all three i915-like parameters (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_i915_power&num=1) to GRUB. That brought the temperature back to to á 50°C.

Moreover, I applied some of these tips:
http://www.lesswatts.org/
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_reduce_power_consumption

resulting in á 13W discharge rate instead of previous 24W(measured by powertop)!

Great!

I hate to be a newb but where did you put the parameters. The battery life still isn't as good. I get like 5 hours now instead of 8...

crysman
October 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM

Works out of the box
Audio
Audio out port

Desktop effects
Nvidia card

Helpful Tips and Tweaks

How to fix webcam orientation. Follow the instructions here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC) to fix webcam orientation.

Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks to:
Martin Juhl - Bumblebee/Ironhide (http://www.martin-juhl.dk/)

OK, I've switched to Xubuntu 11.10 and would like to update the information here.

What I see has been fixed and/or IS now working in 11.10:

USB 3.0
these Fn key kombinations: F2, F5-F8, F11, F12, arrows
bluetooth

What IS NOT working in 11.10:

these Fn combinations: F9 (touchpad disable) and F10 (mute).
Mute works just in direction -> mute. Second press - to unmute - keeps it muted. I've find out that, while muting, the Fn+F10 affects both the "HDA Intel PCH (Alsa mixer)"'s Master channel and "Playback: Internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)"'s Master. BUT, while unmuting, it unmutes only the first one, leaving the second one muted. When I click the XFCE menu panel sound button and "Unmute", it unmutes both of them.
Any ideas?
fingerprint reader (tested with fprint 0.4)
suspend - does not turn the computer into standby, I have to hard switch off with a long press of power button. After turning it on again, there are filesystem checks etc... this is really bad :(
hibernate - does not turn the computer off, remains "dead" with just non-blinking cursor upper left. I have to hard switch off with a long press of power button. After turning it on again, session is restored. Any ideas?
webcam - picture is upside-down (tested with Camorama version 0.19). LD_PRELOAD trick (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC#What_works_but_needs_tweaking) cannot be applied, because the path "..../libv4l/v4l1compat.so" is invalid on my system.

In addition, I had to do this GRUB tweak(s) (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_i915_power&num=1) to regain normal acpitz-0 temperature around 50°C and good battery life again after upgrading to 11.10 from 11.04. Kernel 3.0.0-12-generic in 11.10 seems to have some problems with Sandy Bridge.

I use acpi_call (http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/) to turn off dedicated (Nvidia) graphics and make the notebook running just on integrated Intel graphics. I will play around with graphic issues and Nvidia later on, I do not need it now - as I am focused on long battery life for now.

$ uname -a
Linux crysmanoov 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:56:25 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here are my GRUB boot options (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11364047&postcount=145).

PS: After solving ths problems... could this Ubuntu Community Documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD) be updated to support 11.10, too, please?

--

crysman
October 18th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I hate to be a newb but where did you put the parameters. The battery life still isn't as good. I get like 5 hours now instead of 8...

into boot options in GRUB. See here for more information (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2). I've created a new GRUB menu entry like this:

$ cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic i915 hacks' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 466b9306-8ceb-4da6-89aa-b1865130dfda
#linux /vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic root=UUID=3bcf2fa7-cf9d-4b55-8211-13c5f17f81bf ro vga=771 quiet splash vt.handoff=7
linux /vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic root=UUID=3bcf2fa7-cf9d-4b55-8211-13c5f17f81bf ro i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1
initrd /initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
}

And regarding to 8 hrs battery life... I don't think its real. Is it? I will test it some day, after I tweak the power consumption more deeply - with the help of powertop (http://www.linuxpowertop.org/).

--

AbtZ
October 19th, 2011, 03:02 PM

The best way, IMO, to edit GRUB parameters is through the file /etc/default/grub. Find the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" and add/remove whatever parameters you wish, for example:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash relatime"

Then save the file and run

sudo update-grub

After a reboot, you should be all set :)

AbtZ
October 19th, 2011, 03:04 PM
While changing the virtual desktop u can see this funny effect (i use two monitors):
http://s013.radikal.ru/i323/1110/c7/b3ad8214391at.jpg (http://radikal.ru/F/s013.radikal.ru/i323/1110/c7/b3ad8214391a.png)

What you have there is a bug in Unity with multiple monitors -- not with the ASUS U36SD specifically.

Awaking
October 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
AbtZ, Yes of course, but it's pretty funny)
What really works good with multiple monitors it's KDE.

nwadams
October 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
And regarding to 8 hrs battery life... I don't think its real. Is it? I will test it some day, after I tweak the power consumption more deeply - with the help of powertop (http://www.linuxpowertop.org/).

--

8 hours battery life is legit in windows and 11.04 with light usage.

I applied the tips. It seems to help but the battery life is bad and I get tons of heat after a suspend/resume. So I will have to look into that.

jadahl
October 19th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I updated the wiki page with some 11.10 info (from here, and my own install). Please do correct if you find an error :)

Awaking
October 20th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Display output switch (Fn-F8 ) works both with 11.04 and 11.10

patrikt
October 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Here is a easy guide on how to get two finger scolling to work in Ubuntu (works in 11.10).

http://mixeduperic.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-1004-how-to-setup-two-finger-scroll-on-laptop-touch-pad.html

jadahl
October 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Here is a easy guide on how to get two finger scolling to work in Ubuntu (works in 11.10).

http://mixeduperic.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-1004-how-to-setup-two-finger-scroll-on-laptop-touch-pad.html

You don't need to do it that way. You can just enable the option via the Mouse & Touchpad dialog in the System Settings. Worked for me both with 11.04 and 11.10.

haakon
October 22nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
In Kubuntu 10.11, two-finger scrolling works out of the box.

One thing that doesn't work, is waking up from hibernation. When I press the power button, the machine simply boots normally instead of waking up. Wakeup from suspend seems to work fine. Is there any fix for hibernation that I haven't seen?

jadahl
October 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
In Kubuntu 10.11, two-finger scrolling works out of the box.

One thing that doesn't work, is waking up from hibernation. When I press the power button, the machine simply boots normally instead of waking up. Wakeup from suspend seems to work fine. Is there any fix for hibernation that I haven't seen?

I haven't tried hibernation myself, just seen people reporting it working. If this is incorrect we should probably update the wiki.

Regarding your problem, did you try to wait for a magical number of minutes before trying to resume after hibernation? This is the only way I can make suspend work on my machine.

nwadams
October 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
I haven't tried hibernation myself, just seen people reporting it working. If this is incorrect we should probably update the wiki.

Regarding your problem, did you try to wait for a magical number of minutes before trying to resume after hibernation? This is the only way I can make suspend work on my machine.

I never use hibernation but suspend seems to work for me without waiting. Although if I have certain things plugged in, my phone for instance it suspends for 1 second and then powers back on again...

crysman
October 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
8 hours battery life is legit in windows and 11.04 with light usage.

I applied the tips. It seems to help but the battery life is bad and I get tons of heat after a suspend/resume. So I will have to look into that.

OK, I've made a script which makes my U36SD drain only about 9W (measured by powertop), which really brings me to 8 hours of light usage. The script is available here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11382925&postcount=120), please post updates there, if any (would be great).

crysman
October 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I updated the wiki page with some 11.10 info (from here, and my own install). Please do correct if you find an error :)

Please, add:

webcam problem (upside down)
fingerprint reader (not working) - although not every U36SD has the fingerprint reader, some (as mine) do, so it would be great to be fixed

-- crysman

crysman
October 24th, 2011, 07:09 PM
OK, I've switched to Xubuntu 11.10 and would like to update the information here.

What I see has been fixed and/or IS now working in 11.10:

What IS NOT working in 11.10:

these Fn combinations: F9 (touchpad disable) and F10 (mute).
Mute works just in direction -> mute. Second press - to unmute - keeps it muted. I've find out that, while muting, the Fn+F10 affects both the "HDA Intel PCH (Alsa mixer)"'s Master channel and "Playback: Internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)"'s Master. BUT, while unmuting, it unmutes only the first one, leaving the second one muted. When I click the XFCE menu panel sound button and "Unmute", it unmutes both of them.
Any ideas?

In addition, I had to do ...

see the whole post here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11363930&postcount=144)

Please, anybody has same problems with 1. ? Meaning unmute via Fn+10 not working? I am unable to fix it :(

--crysman

adrien214
October 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM
OK, I've made a script which makes my U36SD drain only about 9W (measured by powertop), which really brings me to 8 hours of light usage. The script is available here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11382925&postcount=120), please post updates there, if any (would be great).

The script looks impressive, I need to try that i915 thing. However, I just wanted to point out that powerTOP is as good as the command

/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state

to estimate the power consumption. Also, I sometimes reach as low as 8,7W of power consumption, if I don't have much apps open, so I'm kind of wondering about the script... Sometimes, the power would jump and hangs to 24 or even 27W for no good reason though...

jadahl
October 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Has anyone managed to get HDMI output working with resolution set to 1920x1080? It seems to work perfectly fine with the VGA port, but on the HDMI port I can only get 1360x768.

M@s
October 28th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I've had some trouble with my Wifi ever since I installed 11.04. If I use the network only by web browsing, chatting etc it works quite well, but when I do a heavy load by downloading major files, it only works for a few minutes before it stops responding. It is still connected, but it is no longer responding and all transfer speeds drops to 0, web pages wont load. I have to reconnect to the network in order to get it working again for a few minutes before it freezes again.

Anyone with a solution?

looch
October 28th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Is there a way to watch videos using vdpau with optimus?
And have anyone compared power and cpu usage while using VA-API and vdpau? Perhaps I could just stop on VA-API, though never used it..

adrien214
October 28th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I've had some trouble with my Wifi ever since I installed 11.04. If I use the network only by web browsing, chatting etc it works quite well, but when I do a heavy load by downloading major files, it only works for a few minutes before it stops responding. It is still connected, but it is no longer responding and all transfer speeds drops to 0, web pages wont load. I have to reconnect to the network in order to get it working again for a few minutes before it freezes again.

Anyone with a solution?

this is not a support thread for networking. but my best guess is that it's not your computer. can you try downloading from another network to confirm this diagnose?

jadahl
October 29th, 2011, 07:37 PM

Anyone with a solution?

I experienced this issue in 11.04 some times, but so far not in 11.10. Maybe you could experiment with the Live CD/USB stick to do some tests if the problem has been solved there?

M@s
November 2nd, 2011, 11:39 PM
I experienced this issue in 11.04 some times, but so far not in 11.10. Maybe you could experiment with the Live CD/USB stick to do some tests if the problem has been solved there?It seems to be working on the 11.10 Live! My previous experiences with 11.10 hasn't been too good, but I'll give it another try. Thanks!

kirkley
November 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM
webcam - picture is upside-down (tested with Camorama version 0.19). LD_PRELOAD trick (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC#What_works_but_needs_tweaking) cannot be applied, because the path "..../libv4l/v4l1compat.so" is invalid on my system.--

I use this trick (https://aeminium.org/slug/software/tips/skype-asus-flipped.html)to fix my webcam. Now my camera is not upside-down %)

jacek88
November 6th, 2011, 12:08 PM
First of all I'd like to thank you all for this thread. I was terrified about my battery lifetime when I've installed ubuntu 11.10 for the first time on my laptop. Fortunately it works much better now.

Anyway there is still one annoying issue which I can't manage to solve. Anytime I change brightness by fn keys it returns the default brightness after a while. For example, when I use the batter saving script written by one of you and set maximum brightness it comes back automatically to minimum brightness within 15 seconds.

Have you ever encountered this problem ?

FrenkT
November 6th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Hello, I'm new on this forum, and I've also been using Ubuntu for just a few weeks so I hope you could be patience.

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 on my u36sd, and I've been looking for a way to improve the battery life, and I tried the acpi_call, but this method just stopped the nvidia and needed to be used at every restart.
So I read that Bumblebee tries to work like the nvidia optimus software on windows, but I don't understand the differences.
So my question are: if I want to improve the buttery lifetime, is bumblebee a good solution? At the same time, does bumblebee activate the nvidia when I run some application that needs it?

Thanks

PS: I have another problem. I'm trying to change the command that launches Skype in order to fix the webcam problem. In Ubuntu 11.04 I did that through the System Preferences, but now I can't find that anymore. How can I do this using the Terminal?

icek
November 6th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Hi, I installed ironhide and disabled nvidia card, then I added parameters to grub. Result is battery live cca 7:30. I can't find page where I found how to disable nvidia card, but maybe you figure it out when configuring ironhide.

torsades
November 7th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Hi, I just bought my u36sd today. Although mine has the i7-2620, which is the only iteration sold in my country.

Im looking forward to getting linux up and running on it soon. I tried ubuntu 11.10 on my netbook and didnt like unity or gnome3 and so defected to mint 11. Going to fire up mint on this beast too.

Great to see so many problems being fixed already. Looking forward to having the equivalent of optimus soon hopefully. Thanks a million to everyone for sorting out the issues.

stayfrosty555
November 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM
First of all I'd like to thank you all for this thread. I was terrified about my battery lifetime when I've installed ubuntu 11.10 for the first time on my laptop. Fortunately it works much better now.

Anyway there is still one annoying issue which I can't manage to solve. Anytime I change brightness by fn keys it returns the default brightness after a while. For example, when I use the batter saving script written by one of you and set maximum brightness it comes back automatically to minimum brightness within 15 seconds.

Have you ever encountered this problem ?

Have you switched off "Dim display when idle" and "Reduce backlight brightness" under Power Management?

crysman
November 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Have you switched off "Dim display when idle" and "Reduce backlight brightness" under Power Management?

This is not the proper solution. We actually WANT dim display idle and reduced brightness. We need to figure out, how to make Ubuntu resore the same brightness level after...

I know that when changing brightness via

/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video*/brightness
(set it to <0,10>)

the brightness level is restored properly after dim idle display state. The problem occurs only when using FN+F[5|6] :(

Maybe there would be some way how to make FN+F[5|6] to change /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video*/brightness files (?)

--
crysman

Fr4gg0r
November 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Does someone has this fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-release-notes/+bug/582809/comments/144 working on 11.10?
For me patch 203-xorg.conf.d_snippet.patch fails when running dpkg-buildpackage =/

adrien214
November 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
my laptop is trying to electrocute me !!! It happens at both lower corners of the casing (on each sides on the trackpad)... anybody else ???? it's doing this constantly, on battery or AC. :confused:

edit: prolly some bad earthing in the electric system of the house.

jadahl
November 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM
my laptop is trying to electrocute me !!! It happens at both lower corners of the casing (on each sides on the trackpad)... anybody else ???? it's doing this constantly, on battery or AC. :confused:

I have never noticed any such problems (using battery only, or on AC). Maybe ASUS support actually might be able to help you with this (if you strategically avoid the topic of Operating System choice).

jadahl
November 15th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Does someone has this fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-release-notes/+bug/582809/comments/144 working on 11.10?
For me patch 203-xorg.conf.d_snippet.patch fails when running dpkg-buildpackage =/

Looks like someone made a PPA. See here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-release-notes/+bug/582809/comments/275

Darwichee
November 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Yesterday i tried the ubuntu 11.10 for the first time, and i liked it ALOT, but the only problem i have right now is the optimus thing, because i also have the asus u36sd.

The only usefull guide i found, was this:

http://www.ivegotavirus.com/blog/2011/11/06/how-to-get-optimus-working-on-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric/

And i have to say that this looks hard to follow, and i don't know which guide is the best either. I've heard that ironhide is newer then bumblebee, so i quess ironhide is better?

I would be VERY thankfull if someone could show me a easy guide i could follow.

thanks

jadahl
November 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Yesterday i tried the ubuntu 11.10 for the first time, and i liked it ALOT, but the only problem i have right now is the optimus thing, because i also have the asus u36sd.

The only usefull guide i found, was this:

http://www.ivegotavirus.com/blog/2011/11/06/how-to-get-optimus-working-on-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric/

And i have to say that this looks hard to follow, and i don't know which guide is the best either. I've heard that ironhide is newer then bumblebee, so i quess ironhide is better?

I would be VERY thankfull if someone could show me a easy guide i could follow.

thanks

Best is if you can try to follow some guide. Anyway, there is a chance that this could work:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mj-casalogic/ironhide
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ironhide

Then to play a game:

optirun thegame

Darwichee
November 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Best is if you can try to follow some guide. Anyway, there is a chance that this could work:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ironhide
Then to play a game:

optirun thegame

Im not that into these things so i think you'll have to explain. It's like the Windows CMD right? Instead the name is "Terminal", so i open it and copy the text you wrote, and just paste it and press enter?

thanks

jadahl
November 20th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Im not that into these things so i think you'll have to explain. It's like the Windows CMD right? Instead the name is "Terminal", so i open it and copy the text you wrote, and just paste it and press enter?

thanks

Yes, open the Terminal program. For every line I posted above you should copy paste it into the terminal and press Enter.

So for example, the first line from my previous post, copy paste the following into the terminal:

Then press the enter key. It might ask you for your password. When the command has finished (you'll get the prompt (might be something like "user@host:directory $ ") you can paste the next command and press enter to run.

The last part is a bit more tricky, because you need to know how to run the program (read game) from command line. Check /usr/games/ if you find it there.

Darwichee
November 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
After everything i got to type it said at the end, ironhide is now confgured. How do i know if i did it right?

I know this sound stupid, but i've never done this before.

jadahl
November 20th, 2011, 01:59 PM
After everything i got to type it said at the end, ironhide is now confgured. How do i know if i did it right?

I know this sound stupid, but i've never done this before.

If you manage to run a game with the optirun command, as I described, if the game runs faster than without it means it works.

Darwichee
November 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM
If you manage to run a game with the optirun command, as I described, if the game runs faster than without it means it works.

the thing is i don't play. But i still want the Optimus for programs that uses the nvidia graphic card, but is there not any test out there, where you can see if this does work?

Or can i properly install ironhide, because as i see it right now, it's only the optimus thing that keeping med with the win 7.

jadahl
November 20th, 2011, 02:57 PM
the thing is i don't play. But i still want the Optimus for programs that uses the nvidia graphic card, but is there not any test out there, where you can see if this does work?

Or can i properly install ironhide, because as i see it right now, it's only the optimus thing that keeping med with the win 7.

I think if you run your program (be it game or anything else) with optirun as described, it will use the nvidia graphics card for OpenGL calls, thus, if the program works, it means that you are using the nvidia card.

There are no programs available that directly uses the nvidia card automatically (aka optimus thing) but any program can be made to use it via the optirun command.

(This discussion has gone a bit too off-topic (not related to U36SD) so I suggest you ask in some ironhide / bumblebee / optimus thread if you want to know more how these things currently work).

Fr4gg0r
November 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
Looks like someone made a PPA. See here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-release-notes/+bug/582809/comments/275

I did
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sergio91pt/synaptics+clickpads
and then followed these https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD steps. Wouldn't compile. :/
(I am on xubuntu 11.10)

I figured out that I can set the screen brightness with /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness, the problem is, if I add "echo -n 600 > " to rc.local, it does not work, the value is probably overwritten after the script is executed. =/
Any idea how to fix that?

Btw: What discharge values to you get from powertop with screen on lowest brightness, wifi enabled, bluetooth disabled and "all other tweaks enabled"?

Niihau
November 22nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Btw: What discharge values to you get from powertop with screen on lowest brightness, wifi enabled, bluetooth disabled and "all other tweaks enabled"?

I have 8,6W
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3910/capturedu20111122164010.png

Does someone know how to disable the ambient light sensor?

cloutz
November 22nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
there are problems with 10.4 LTS?
or they are the same documented for 11.04, 12.04?

honestly i buyed u36sd for the long battery duration, so i think LTS is better than other version (it uses previous kernel, isn't it?)

Thanks, sorry for my bad english :D

torsades
November 23rd, 2011, 02:27 AM
My hibernate wasnt working properly. It would take ages on a blank screen and would require me to hit the power button a second time to sort of remind it. Then after logging in it would promptly logout again and require me to log in a second time.

After a bit of googling i tried this solution to assign the swap partition to be used for hibernation, and it appears to have solved the problem.

Source: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Activating the swap partition:
(If your swap is on your primary hard drive, you don't need to do anything here.) Now you need to find what partition your swap is on and what its UUID is. UUID?! you say? Well that's the Universally Unique IDentifier for the partition so you can reference it even if it's on a different mount point from boot-to-boot due to adding disks, etc.

Pull up a terminal and run gksu gparted & and enter your root password. The & lets this process run while still giving you access to the command line.
Right-click on your swap partition and choose *Information*. You should see the **Path** and **UUID** listed there. Keep this open for further reference.
Run gksu gedit /etc/fstab & and look for the line that has *swap* in it. It should be the third column, separated by spaces or tabs. You can either use the path or the UUID to tell Linux where to find your swap partition. I recommend UUID because it'll stay constant even if you move the partition around or the disk somehow becomes sdb instead of sda or something like that. Make the appropriate edits and save the file. Your line should look something like this if you used UUID (with your UUID instead, of course):

UUID=41e86209-3802-424b-9a9d-d7683142dab7 none swap sw 0 0
or this if you used path: /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0

Save and reboot to make sure the new swap gets activated properly at startup

Making the swap partition work for hibernate:
You only need to do this if you want to use your new, bigger swap partition to hibernate your computer.

Pull up a Terminal again and run cat /proc/swaps and hopefully you see the path to your swap partition listed there. If not chances are something went wrong in the steps above. Here's my output:

Filename Type Size Used Priority /dev/sda2 partition 2676732 73380 -1

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub & to pull up the boot loader configuration
Look for the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" and make sure it looks like this (using your UUID of course) GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=UUID=41e86209-3802-424b-9a9d-d7683142dab7" and save the file
sudo update-grub and wait for it to finish
gksu gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume & and make sure its contents are resume=UUID=41e86209-3802-424b-9a9d-d7683142dab7 (with your UUID of course in place of mine). Save the file!
sudo update-initramfs -u
Reboot!

Now you should be able to hibernate and resume!

torsades
November 23rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Does anyone else get the brightness set to maximum after every single resume from sleep or hibernate? Is there a fix? Its really annoying to be blinded every time i resume.

Fr4gg0r
November 23rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Anyone else having trouble to power off the laptop?
Killing all processes returns fail
then after "Will now halt" and "[xxxx] Power down." the screen stays on.

torsades
November 28th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Nope, no problems shutting down. But there are still major issues with resuming from hibernating and sleep. It appears to be a ubuntu 11.10 problem. Ive tried xubuntu, kubuntu, pclinuxos and pinguy before finally settling on mint 12. (which is the most useable one imho)The same issues are present on all these variants. Id love for the hibernate issue to be solved because I use it alot.

By the way, does anyone else feel like the u36sd seems to randomly get really hot and has its fan constantly running while not really running any intensive processes in linux? (didn't happen in win7) Only a restart seems to kill the fan and reduce the temperature

Chia-Hua Ho
November 29th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I also encountered a similar problem. The laptop can hibernate, but we need to push the power button to turn it off. Although sometimes it wakes up correctly, other times it doesn't.

mbeltagy
December 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM
I am running Kubuntu 11.10 64bit. I did the tweaks in the wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD), however I still have the following problems:
1. No audio recording
2. The camera does not flip the picture, the directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/ does not exist on my system
3. After suspend, the usb 3 port does not work
4. After suspend, I can not get the nvidia graphics to work. When I trying running optirun, I get
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia_current (/lib/modules/3.0.0-13-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia_current.ko): No such device

Any help is appreciated.

haakon
December 11th, 2011, 08:32 PM
A strange problem has started to appear for me recently. In many applications, the window simply stops redrawing until I force it by alt-tabbing, moving something over the window etc. This happens in Konsole as well as in YouTube videos. Konsole continues to accept input, but it's not reflected in the window. Very annoying. I run just the intel graphics driver, and use Kubuntu 11.10. Any idea?

Edit: I think I solved it by upgrading the Intel driver, details here: http://robbyx.net/blog/?p=275

Edit2: Today the problem returned, at least in YouTube, and Choqok :-( Probably in Konsole as well, if I use it for a while.

torsades
December 18th, 2011, 02:23 AM
The sleep/hibernate issue appears to have been fixed somehow. I am happily running gnome shell 3.2 installed over xubuntu 11.10 and the resume from sleep is just as snappy as anyone could expect.

Battery life is much improved and the laptop temperature is much reduced with the installation of the jupiter applet. (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/jupiter-applet-finally-available-for.html) It supposedly make the asus super hybrid engine work with linux.

Does anyone else experience random instances where the cursor goes crazy and vibrates wildly in the horizontal plane with varying amplitude for a few seconds or minutes at a stretch before aborting? I can't seem to see any pattern to it that might suggest a trigger. It isnt just a gnome shell problem because I experienced it with xfce and lxde too.

Awaking
December 30th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Does anybody else have a trouble when CPU fan starts rotating at full power regardless of CPU temperature (48*C for example)? And even if you restart your PC it will not help. The only way is to shutdown it and startup again.

icek
December 31st, 2011, 11:15 AM
I dont have this problem. But i recently switched from unity to gnome-shell and it seems like I got some extra batery life. Now with minimum brightness I get about 9 hours

Henri Lebesgue
January 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM
After I did the 'High end graphics card(Nvidia)'-step alt-shift-tab is not working anymore. What to do?

jadahl
January 4th, 2012, 03:34 PM
After I did the 'High end graphics card(Nvidia)'-step alt-shift-tab is not working anymore. What to do?

Follow the steps under "Desktop effects" here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD#Desktop_effects

For making actual use of the nvidia card read the section after that.

Henri Lebesgue
January 4th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Follow the steps under "Desktop effects" here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD#Desktop_effects

For making actual use of the nvidia card read the section after that.

When I'm running the command in 'Desktop effect' I get this "E: Unable to locate package nvidia". And the section after 'Desktop effect' is what made the alt-shift-tab to stop working. I was only able to run unity 2d before that.

I don't follow acctually. What in those steps would make my alt-shift-tab work in unity again?

jadahl
January 4th, 2012, 04:37 PM
When I'm running the command in 'Desktop effect' I get this "E: Unable to locate package nvidia". And the section after 'Desktop effect' is what made the alt-shift-tab to stop working. I was only able to run unity 2d before that.

I don't follow acctually. What in those steps would make my alt-shift-tab work in unity again?

Make that: "sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current" instead. Don't know why the wiki states nvidia, because I have no such package either. Please confirm if it works, so I can change the page.

Before trying to experiment with the high end graphics card I suggest getting 3D acceleration working using the Intel card first.

Henri Lebesgue
January 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Make that: "sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current" instead. Don't know why the wiki states nvidia, because I have no such package either. Please confirm if it works, so I can change the page.

Before trying to experiment with the high end graphics card I suggest getting 3D acceleration working using the Intel card first.

Okay, I tried it. And it worked. But for what purpose did you tell me to do it? What am I supposed to do to get the 3D acceleration to work? New to ubuntu, been doing alright so far. But these graphics drivers is pretty tricky.

jadahl
January 4th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Okay, I tried it. And it worked. But for what purpose did you tell me to do it? What am I supposed to do to get the 3D acceleration to work? New to ubuntu, been doing alright so far. But these graphics drivers is pretty tricky.

With worked, do you mean that you get Unity (not Unity 2D) working as well? (Together with the blacklist stuff).

FYI, unity2d and unity are two different programs that look very similar. unity is built with "compiz" while unity2d is a QT application.

Henri Lebesgue
January 4th, 2012, 04:58 PM
With worked, do you mean that you get Unity (not Unity 2D) working as well? (Together with the blacklist stuff).

FYI, unity2d and unity are two different programs that look very similar. unity is built with "compiz" while unity2d is a QT application.

From start I was using Unity2D, without even knowing about Unity. When I installed IronHide it changed to Unity. The problem I have is that alt-shift-tab doesn't work in Unity, but works perfectly in Unity2D.

After I ran your command my battery consumption went higher so I still have something left to do with graphics drivers. The command removed IronHide as well.

But you mentioned something about 3D acceleration. You recommend me to do it before installing IronHide. I don't understand exactly what IronHide does, but some instructions says that you are supposed to remove all nvidia drivers before installing it. Am I mistaken here?

I really appreciate your help!

jadahl
January 4th, 2012, 05:09 PM
From start I was using Unity2D, without even knowing about Unity. When I installed IronHide it changed to Unity. The problem I have is that alt-shift-tab doesn't work in Unity, but works perfectly in Unity2D.

After I ran your command my battery consumption went higher so I still have something left to do with graphics drivers. The command removed IronHide as well.

But you mentioned something about 3D acceleration. You recommend me to do it before installing IronHide. I don't understand exactly what IronHide does, but some instructions says that you are supposed to remove all nvidia drivers before installing it. Am I mistaken here?

I really appreciate your help!

I suppose Unity don't have that key-binding by default, while Unity 2D has. There are some inconsistencies between the two.

I recommend at least getting 3D acceleration using the Intel card working first. If you can run Unity (not 2D) you already succeeded with that, since it requires 3D acceleration to function. Full 3D acceleration using the nvidia card won't work right now, but you can selectively run programs (read games) so you'll still be able to run them.

Personally I don't run IronHide (I did, but found it more buggy than the alternative) but Bumblebee. If you want to run Bumblebee but already have IronHide installed, follow the instructions here: https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable . I also noticed that I forgot adding one of the commands to the wiki (usermod). Fixed now.

Henri Lebesgue
January 4th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I suppose Unity don't have that key-binding by default, while Unity 2D has. There are some inconsistencies between the two.

I recommend at least getting 3D acceleration using the Intel card working first. If you can run Unity (not 2D) you already succeeded with that, since it requires 3D acceleration to function. Full 3D acceleration using the nvidia card won't work right now, but you can selectively run programs (read games) so you'll still be able to run them.

Personally I don't run IronHide (I did, but found it more buggy than the alternative) but Bumblebee. If you want to run Bumblebee but already have IronHide installed, follow the instructions here: https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable (https://launchpad.net/%7Ebumblebee/+archive/stable) . I also noticed that I forgot adding one of the commands to the wiki (usermod). Fixed now.

Okey! How do I get that for my intel card, how do I know which one I'm using? Ubuntu3D is working now, am I using the nvidia card? I have only done the 'nvidia high end' step and ran your command after that. Everything else is clean as a new installation of ubuntu.

jadahl
January 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Okey! How do I get that for my intel card, how do I know which one I'm using? Ubuntu3D is working now, am I using the nvidia card? I have only done the 'nvidia high end' step and ran your command after that. Everything else is clean as a new installation of ubuntu.

It's using the Intel card. Currently there is no way of using the nvidia card for running the whole desktop environment (I think). If you run "optirun glxgears" in a terminal, does a glxgears window show up? If it say "command not found" or something, install mesa-utils. If so, you should be able to use the nvidia card via that command.

Henri Lebesgue
January 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM
It's using the Intel card. Currently there is no way of using the nvidia card for running the whole desktop environment (I think). If you run "optirun glxgears" in a terminal, does a glxgears window show up? If it say "command not found" or something, install mesa-utils. If so, you should be able to use the nvidia card via that command.

The command you gave me before removed Ironhide. I can't run optirun without Ironhide?

jadahl
January 4th, 2012, 05:29 PM
The command you gave me before removed Ironhide. I can't run optirun without Ironhide?

Both Bumblebee and Ironhide provides a command named optirun. To install bumblebee, follow the guide here: https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable

Henri Lebesgue
January 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Both Bumblebee and Ironhide provides a command named optirun. To install bumblebee, follow the guide here: https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable (https://launchpad.net/%7Ebumblebee/+archive/stable)

I tried to install Bumblebee but seems like it needs some further configuration after installation? At least my battery consumption stayed the same. So I installed Ironhide. Don't know how well it works but with it I have twice as long battery life so I'm happy : ))

Henri Lebesgue
January 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Windows7 had one power mode called office mode. I feel like my computer is making a bit to much noise, does anyone have any tips on how to make it more quiet in ubuntu 11.10?

adrien214
January 16th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Henri, I'm gonna sum up what you need to do to get a decent 11.10 power
consumption and low noise/heat:

sudo gedit /etc/hdparm.conf

and insert the following bloc of code at the bottom of the file (source (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705406)):

/dev/sda {
apm = 254
apm_battery = 254
}

Then type (source (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_i915_power&num=1)):

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

add a blank space after 'splash' and

i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 pcie_aspm=force

between the quotes in the line

RUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

then save the file and type in the command line:

sudo update-grub

*EDIT : reboot your machine.

You should get a power consumption between 8 and 10W with reduced noise and heat, if you have installed Ironhide. Even with BT and WLAN enabled.

fuduntu
January 17th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Henri, I'm gonna sum up what you need to do to get a decent 11.10 power
consumption and low noise/heat:

sudo gedit /etc/hdparm.conf

and insert the following bloc of code at the bottom of the file (source (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705406)):

/dev/sda {
apm = 254
apm_battery = 254
}

Then type (source (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_i915_power&num=1)):

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

add a blank space after 'splash' and

i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 pcie_aspm=force

between the quotes in the line

RUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

then save the file and type in the command line:

sudo update-grub

*EDIT : reboot your machine.

You should get a power consumption between 8 and 10W with reduced noise and heat, if you have installed Ironhide. Even with BT and WLAN enabled.

Add Jupiter and it might drop down to 6-8.

adrien214
January 17th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Add Jupiter and it might drop down to 6-8.

Speaking of Jupiter. Do you happen to know if all the possibilities in lesswatts.org are implemented in the app? Or is there some more stuff that needs to be done manually?

fuduntu
January 17th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Speaking of Jupiter. Do you happen to know if all the possibilities in lesswatts.org are implemented in the app? Or is there some more stuff that needs to be done manually?

Most of them. There is always "more" to do, nothing gets you 100% of the way there, not even Jupiter.

adrien214
January 18th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Does anyone else get the brightness set to maximum after every single resume from sleep or hibernate? Is there a fix? Its really annoying to be blinded every time i resume.

there is a script (http://blog.ishans.info/2011/09/25/set-brightness-automatically-at-the-startup-in-linux/) for setting the screen brightness at startup I don't know if it will work on resume. The thing is that regardless if I have a script doing something on startup or if I have a specific screen settings, ubuntu reverts to values I don't want every.single.time.

_karo
January 23rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
Ok, I need help. I've been running 11.04 on my U36SD with an external monitor and a TV connected to the HDMI output via a HDMI splitter and it's been working fine. Sometimes I want to use my laptop on the couch and then I'll have to disconnect the HDMI cable, and the laptop monitor goes crazy after that - vertical stripes, gray noise-like texture, or it just goes black. I usually just restart X when I do this, and the computer realizes it's not connected to another monitor anymore. Same thing when I plug the HDMI cable back in.

Yesterday I tried something different and turned the TV/monitor off from the Monitor Preferences before disconnecting the cable. It didn't prevent the laptop screen mess up after disconnecting the HDMI cable, so I just thought to myself, no need to do that again... But now, when I have reconnected the HDMI cable, it looks like Ubuntu doesn't even realize the HDMI port exists! When I press "detect monitors" in Monitor Preferences the external monitor doesn't get detected, and even xrandr says nothing about the HDMI port. Here is the xrandr output:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 293mm x 165mm
1366x768 60.0*+
1360x768 59.8 60.0
1024x768 60.0
800x600 60.3 56.2
640x480 59.9
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

What can I do to get my HDMI output back? I've rebooted the computer several times, with and without the HDMI cable connected, with and without the HDMI splitter, etc. etc. Is my only option to reinstall Ubuntu? All help is greatly appreciated!

Awaking
January 26th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Does anybody have idea how can I use nVidia card instead Intel all the time long? Ubuntu interface is pretty laggy while using two monitors with Intel GPU.

crysman
January 27th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Does anybody have idea how can I use nVidia card instead Intel all the time long? Ubuntu interface is pretty laggy while using two monitors with Intel GPU.

Negative. I am running dualmonitor normally. Even flash videos do not lag. I am using XUbuntu, though... not Ubuntu.

-- crysman

torsades
January 27th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Btw guys bumblebee 3.0 works perfectly. The jump in fps for the graphics tests is phenomenal. Its much easier to set up than ironhide which i was using previously.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/bumblebee-30-released-nvidia-optimus.html

On another note, does anyone else experience horrendous mouse jumpiness only when using the trackpad? I've not noticed this for a long time because ive been using a mouse but today when i took the laptop on the road, it became so bad to the point of being unusable. Rebooting temporaily fixes it but then i just comes back after a few minutes. Initially the cursor is just extremely jumpy so it is impossible to click on anything. Then the cursor becomes impossible to move in the vertical direction. Its really exasperating. Any ideas?

torsades
January 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM
My above mentioned jumpy cursor problem goes away after i enter these commands, which i presume reset the mouse.

sudo rmmod psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouseBased on the fact that it can be solved this way, does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem or how i may automate this resetting in the event it occurs?

Edit: Gahh i spoke too soon. It just comes back after a couple of minutes. Damnit

r4b00f
January 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM
The USB3 port still doesn't work properly for me in 11.10. Initially it did not work at all,
but after adding the boot options pci=nomsi,noaer, it started working. Working until the
computer goes to sleep or hibernates. I skimmed this thread, but I can't recall seeing anything looking similar to my problem.

After resuming from a suspended state it seems that the mouse I have plugged in still
receives power, but nothing registers in syslog when plugging it in and out. Same thing with a thumb drive.

Any ideas where to start looking?

torsades
February 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
I have the same problem with the usb 3.0 port on the right side. I dont have any usb 3.0 devices but sometimes the mouse fails to get recognised when plugged in there after resuming from suspend/hibernate. The only solution seems to be a reboot or simply to plug the mouse in the usb 2.0 port on the left. Time to get a long usb cable.

There are a few other annoyances that occur especially after resuming from a suspended state such as having to log in twice in a row, but what really drives me nuts is the jumpy cursor when using the trackpad after resuming. Goes away for a while on a fresh boot up. Two-finger scrolling seems to trigger it. I've tried turning off the option to disable trackpad when typing. Then it just becomes less frequent.

r4b00f
February 4th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Are you by any chance using xorg-edgers (or similar) packages for X.org?

I tried to get an old program running by upgrading to a bleeding edge X.org
version and Intel drivers. Not only did the program not work, but the newer
drivers totally destroyed the performance of Intel graphics (glxspheres at 2-3 fps vs.
ca. 56 normally) Also the trackpad became a lot more jumpy as a consequence, but it
was consistent, not manifesting intermittently.

demarsjcd
February 5th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Concerning the mouse problem, I have not had an issue with it thankfully however on Win7 there was no two finger scroll, the mouse was very inconsistennt, and the one finger scroll was very very bad. I fixed it by getting rid of synaptics driver and using a mac driver. Not sure if this is any help at all, just throwing it out there. Heres the site I found the solution on:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/626006-u36sd-touchpad-issue.html

demarsjcd
February 6th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I know this is way off topic but I installed ubuntu onto my external hard drive and everything worked perfect. I later tried installing archlinux onto the same external drive. The only thing I did different that time was that I made the mistake of installing grub onto the SSD which over wrote the windows booter. Do any of you guys know either how to restore the windows booter or get rid of grub on sda drive? thanks. BTW I got grub error 21 and I've looked all over the internet.

r4b00f
February 12th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Good news (for me atleast)

I got the USB3.0 suspend / hibernate problem solved. After checking the other Asus hibernate related threads on the forum it seemed that the problem is not model specific, but rather a more general issue. The script in this blog post did it for me:

http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18/fix-ubuntu-10-10-suspendhibernate-not-working-bug

I also had an issue with flash content being really choppy and laggy. This seems to be related to the Intel GPU drivers rather than straight to Adobe, so I'd expect this problem to be fixed for good some time in the future. As for now, I had to modify grub command line parameters slightly.

Adding i915.semaphores=1 made the problem go away at first, but after waking up from sleep the problem was back, so I experimented a bit and found out that setting i915.i915_enable_fbc=0 solved the issue. For completeness' sake, here's the full list of boot
parameters I use:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi,noaer i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=0 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force"

Finally everything seems to be working nicely.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The flash problem is back after the computer was in sleep mode over the night. Crap.

r4b00f
February 17th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Recent update came with some changes to xserver-xorg packages, now it seems that
either the update, or upgrading the xserver-xorg-video-intel package to 2.17 via a PPA
helped with the choppy flash problem.

However, the xserver-xorg update totally destroyed glxspheres performance on the intel
GPU: instead of the normal ca. 55 fps, I now get barely 3 fps. I already had the newer intel
driver installed when the xserver updated, so I'm thinking that the problem is not the
intel driver package, but some other xserver component. Unfortunately I have no idea
which. Any suggestions welcome, also regarding the correct place to report this as a bug.

demarsjcd
February 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Is this thread still being updated? I ended up getting rid of Ubuntu because I had a bad problem with the graphics stop drawing all the time. There was big triangular glitches popping up all the time. I ended up trying out Linux mint and haven't had one problem except when ever I'm watching a video or playing an online game it gets really hot

nwadams
February 24th, 2012, 07:14 PM
my fault for not updating the main post. But the information in the wiki is good.

Good news in 12.04. the webcam isn't flipped anymore and we can use the fn+f9 button to turn the touchpad on and off.

I think with the sandy bridge kernel fixes and bumblebee 3 we can get decent battery life out of the system now too.

mbeltagy
March 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Good news (for me atleast)

I got the USB3.0 suspend / hibernate problem solved. After checking the other Asus hibernate related threads on the forum it seemed that the problem is not model specific, but rather a more general issue. The script in this blog post did it for me:

http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18/fix-ubuntu-10-10-suspendhibernate-not-working-bug

I also had an issue with flash content being really choppy and laggy. This seems to be related to the Intel GPU drivers rather than straight to Adobe, so I'd expect this problem to be fixed for good some time in the future. As for now, I had to modify grub command line parameters slightly.

Adding i915.semaphores=1 made the problem go away at first, but after waking up from sleep the problem was back, so I experimented a bit and found out that setting i915.i915_enable_fbc=0 solved the issue. For completeness' sake, here's the full list of boot
parameters I use:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi,noaer i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=0 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force"

Finally everything seems to be working nicely.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The flash problem is back after the computer was in sleep mode over the night. Crap.
I had the flash problem too. It mainly had to do with ndiswrapper. I often ended up typing

killall ndiswrapper
and refreshing the webpage that has with the flash content.
However, recently with updates from a week ago, "ndiswrapper" has disappeared and browser/flash integration is much better.

nwadams
March 4th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I had the flash problem too. It mainly had to do with ndiswrapper. I often ended up typing

and refreshing the webpage that has with the flash content.
However, recently with updates from a week ago, "ndiswrapper" has disappeared and browser/flash integration is much better.

this will be the native 64bit flash support, not requiring ndiswrapper any more.

nwadams
March 5th, 2012, 10:14 PM
has anyone figured out how to get the fn+f5/fn+f6 brightness controls to interact with ubuntu. They work at a hardware level and adjust the brightness but don't interact in the OS.

sanz
March 7th, 2012, 10:15 AM
has anyone figured out how to get the fn+f5/fn+f6 brightness controls to interact with ubuntu. They work at a hardware level and adjust the brightness but don't interact in the OS.

Yes. Fn+F5/6 controls the brightness correctly, but the adjustment made them is ignored by OS. I had to disable the auto-dim function. But every time of boot, I have to decrease the brightness manually.

nwadams
March 7th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Yes. Fn+F5/6 controls the brightness correctly, but the adjustment made them is ignored by OS. I had to disable the auto-dim function. But every time of boot, I have to decrease the brightness manually.

ya, thats as far as I am too. I'm going to play with it once 12.04 comes out.

saunterteo
March 10th, 2012, 06:45 PM
hi all.
I've just bought an asus u36sd and I'm trying to install ubuntu 11.10 on it.
I wrote the iso image on a usb pen with LiLi usb creator and unetbootin.
I managed to boot from usb, but after choosing "install ubuntu" the screen went black and nothing happened.
Can anybody help me?
Thank you everybody!

nwadams
March 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM
hi all.
I've just bought an asus u36sd and I'm trying to install ubuntu 11.10 on it.
I wrote the iso image on a usb pen with LiLi usb creator and unetbootin.
I managed to boot from usb, but after choosing "install ubuntu" the screen went black and nothing happened.
Can anybody help me?
Thank you everybody!

try clicking the try ubuntu button. there will be a install icon on the desktop to install from there.

saunterteo
March 10th, 2012, 09:36 PM
thank you for the help, actually I solved by changing some options in the bios.

nwadams
March 10th, 2012, 09:40 PM
thank you for the help, actually I solved by changing some options in the bios.

good luck with everything. I recommend checking out 12.04 as soon as possible as well. Lots of fixes including built in RC6 enable with the new kernel so better power management. Also install bumblebee or some other method of turning off the nvidia graphics so your battery life is decent.

foxy123
March 17th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know how to disable bluetooth permanently. I cannot find any options in BIOS.

nwadams
March 20th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know how to disable bluetooth permanently. I cannot find any options in BIOS.

As far as I know there is no way to permanently disable the bluetooth.

Barbalras
March 21st, 2012, 04:44 AM
Hi everyone!

I've just installed ubuntu on my U36SD. I followed the instructions to install bumblebee and apparently it went fine.
Anyway, when I connect the laptop to a monitor through VGA, the image looks a little blurrier compared to my other laptop's VGA's output. Have you noticed this? Is there anything that can be done?

Right now that's the only thing that it bugging me about this laptop

krustenBrot
March 22nd, 2012, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone!

I've just installed ubuntu on my U36SD. I followed the instructions to install bumblebee and apparently it went fine.
Anyway, when I connect the laptop to a monitor through VGA, the image looks a little blurrier compared to my other laptop's VGA's output. Have you noticed this? Is there anything that can be done?

Right now that's the only thing that it bugging me about this laptop

Hey Barbalras

had the same issue with my U36SD running Win7. Could not find a fix, but its all good when using the hdmi port.

It seems to be either the VGA port itself (concerning all models - build quality?, some strange graphic card issues?) or some faulty models like mine or yours.
Anyone else experienced this?
Have you tried contacting ASUS? What did they say?

Barbalras
March 22nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Nice! Seems I'm not alone. Today I'm going to buy an hdmi cable

thank you krustenBrot

EDIT: I got the hdmi cable and image got much better. It looks perfect

krustenBrot
March 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
I finally figured out how to use the additional key above F1 to switch power modes ( similiar to "power 4 gear" on win7 ) using Jupiter.

given that you already got Jupiter installed and running:

1.go to "All Settings" - "Keyboard" - "Shortcuts" Tab OR simply type "keyboard" into to Dash search and click on the Icon -> then click the "Shortcuts" tab.
2. Click on "Custom Shortcut" - Click the + on the bottom left
3. Name it whatever you like, copy the following command into the "command" field:

sudo /usr/lib/jupiter/scripts/cpu-control 4. Assign a key by clicking on "Disabled" - press the key
...and thats it.

Additions:
You can also assign different commands as given in the Jupiter Wiki. see: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jupiter/index.php?title=Keybindings

I personally dont like the long timeout of the notification pop-up especially if you are switching 2 modes up or down.
Fixing this requires a "patched NotifyOSD" - for instructions see:
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/patched-notifyosd-updates-option-to.htmlAfter installing these, type into a terminal:

gksu gedit /usr/lib/jupiter/scripts/notify gedit opens up the script file search for the following lines:

....$ICON -t 700.....the number behind "-t" - in my case 700 - defines the amount of time the notification will display in milliseconds.

Hope you enjoy your Asus u36sd and Ubuntu. I do. :)
Thanks for this awesome thread ;) ):P

johnitsa
March 28th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I've manage to pretty much set up everything properly on my new U36SD. Thanks to the community guide and this thread, battery is up to somewhere around 6 hours.

There's only one thing that's just weird. The libs requried to fix the reversed webcam issue on oneiric pretty much fixed it for everything except skype. While in apps like Cheese the webcam looks perfectly fine, I'm still upside down.

I'm just curious if any of you guys experienced this until now and if (and how) you've managed to fix it. It's no rush to get it fixed though, since I read the problem's been fixed for precise pangolin.

nwadams
March 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I've manage to pretty much set up everything properly on my new U36SD. Thanks to the community guide and this thread, battery is up to somewhere around 6 hours.

There's only one thing that's just weird. The libs requried to fix the reversed webcam issue on oneiric pretty much fixed it for everything except skype. While in apps like Cheese the webcam looks perfectly fine, I'm still upside down.

I'm just curious if any of you guys experienced this until now and if (and how) you've managed to fix it. It's no rush to get it fixed though, since I read the problem's been fixed for precise pangolin.

Check out the webcam section https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC

Also I believe this is fixed by default in 12.04.

johnitsa
March 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Check out the webcam section https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC

Also I believe this is fixed by default in 12.04.

Thanks for your reply. That's what I was saying: that I installed libv4l, but for some reason it doesn't seem to fix the issue, even with LD_PRELOAD.

It's alright anyways. I'll wait for 12.04 to go stable and then upgrade.

msaleiro
March 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hi! I'm having issues with the USB3.0 port in Asus U36S with Ubuntu 11.10. I have tested it with a pen drive and it works ok (did not test the data transfer speeds but it works) but when I connect a Logitech C510 webcam I only get rubbish data. It recognizes the webcam, I can open a video stream with VLC but the images that I get are complete rubbish. The camera auto white balance is working because when i cover the camera with my hand the "rubbish" gets darker. If I connect it in a USB 2.0 port the camera works fine. I tried to connect the same camera to a USB3.0 port with Ubuntu 11.10 in a n Asus ZenBook and it works fine too. I tried that thing with pci=nomsi and didn't notice any change. Anyone has any clue on how to solve it? (I really need to use the webcam in this port because I'll need two webcams simultaneously streaming and I'll need to put them in different USB buses to make it work)