PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I expand my laptop harddrive capacity?

brawnypandora0
August 18th, 2011, 11:29 PM
My laptop's harddrive is 60GB. How do I make it 100GB? Do I need to buy a new harddrive or do I need a new laptop altogether?

I heard that it's possible to expand the size just by installing some sort of program???

Insomnia64
August 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM
You would need a new hard drive for that, you can install one yourself however you'd be doing a clean install so you'd need to back up data.

You'd need to find out if your current hard drive is IDE or SATA first though.

im.saravanan
August 19th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hi friend software or program can not increase ur hard disk size. Forget it for now..

All you can do is Buy a sleek external hdd and use it via usb port. This is one way u can increase hdd capacity

donkyhotay
August 19th, 2011, 02:26 PM
If you want to increase the HDD size in the computer you will need to install a bigger HDD which will require you to reinstall the OS. Depending on what you need it might be easier to just get an external HDD and use that for some of your data.

ofnuts
August 19th, 2011, 08:41 PM
My laptop's harddrive is 60GB. How do I make it 100GB? Do I need to buy a new harddrive or do I need a new laptop altogether?

I heard that it's possible to expand the size just by installing some sort of program???A 60GB drive points towards a rather ancient laptop (2003-2005...) Finding a compatible new drive nowadays can be difficult (big drives (>200MB) may be incompatible wit the BIOS, and 100MB with PATA interface should be very hard to find. I'm not even sure that an external drive is a solution, since the machine is ancient enough to only support USB 1.1 which would severely limit the I/O bandwidth.

Upgrading to a more recent machine (not new, even a 2nd-hand one less than 3 years old) would really improve things: faster CPU/Video, more memory, vastly bigger HDD, battery life, and a raft of little things that make life easier: USB2, Wifi, DVD drive, built-in SD card reader and/or webcam, Bluetooth...

Mark Phelps
August 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM
A 60GB drive points towards a rather ancient laptop (2003-2005...) Finding a compatible new drive nowadays can be difficult (big drives (>200MB) may be incompatible wit the BIOS

Most excellent Point!!

I recently tried to upgrade an older laptop containing a 40GB drive (it came with a 20GB) to a larger drive. The smallest PATA laptop drive I could find locally was 250GB. So, I imaged off the current installed to a file and restored that file to the new drive -- NOTE; BIOS did see the file.

But, I was never able to get it to boot. And, when I went into the BIOS settings, it reported the wrong size for the drive.

So, the advice I have is to Google for technical specs on the make and model laptop. They will often tell you the maximum size drive the laptop can support. I had to stick with 80GB because that's the largest PATA drive the BIOS would boot.