PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updating Ubuntu without internet connection

waqas300
August 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Hi,
i was wondering if its possible to update Ubuntu on machines that don't have internet connection. like download the updates manually and run them on Ubuntu machines, just like in Microsoft windows:)

Basher101
August 18th, 2011, 06:46 PM
hmm i don't know how to do that with just the updates, but i can think of another way...though it will take probably alot longer so i will wait and see if others cant answer your question, otherwise i will post how to do it (in short you update ubuntu on a system that has internet and make a Live CD of that "upgraded" system to install it with the updates on other computers)

MG&TL
August 18th, 2011, 06:46 PM
You could...but there is lots of them and it would be very boring...why do you want to do that? There is usually an alternative.

raja.genupula
August 18th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hi,
i was wondering if its possible to update Ubuntu on machines that don't have internet connection. like download the updates manually and run them on Ubuntu machines, just like in Microsoft windows:)
i am sure thins thing gonna help you
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=572819

waqas300
August 18th, 2011, 07:09 PM
You could...but there is lots of them and it would be very boring...why do you want to do that? There is usually an alternative.

because where i work has a faster internet connection so i would like to download updates and install them to my home ubuntu box:)

fugaki
August 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
The actual packages are typically very small, with the exception of new kernels, but at broadband speeds you should be able to download these in less than a minute.

MG&TL
August 18th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I see no reason why you cannot get the updates onto a memory stick and then install them at home...is your work pc running Ubuntu?

samigina
August 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM
http://keryxproject.org

Purplerob
August 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think you can upgrade ubuntu from an install cd. Just make an install cd run it and it go to install ubuntu, it will tell you there is already ubuntu and you can upgrade it from there. I think...

~!geek!~
August 18th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hi,

Visit this blog post http://xperiencegnulinux.blogspot.com/2011/07/manage-ubuntu-without-active-internet.html
This deals with the exact problem you are facing. Put your queries there, if you face any problem.

walt.smith1960
August 18th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Hi,

I'm curious. This is OT but I didn't know you could run Windows Update without an internet connection. I assume you could download individual "packages" but how would you know which ones to download?