PDA

View Full Version : [other] fastest live cd

kirankadali
August 18th, 2011, 04:15 PM
plz help me... i need a live cd which can boot quickly and supports wireless modems (mobiles as modem or usb modem sticks)

cgroza
August 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Try some of the lightweight distros such as Puppy and similar. They should support the features you want.

beew
August 18th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Make a live usb with persistence. Live CD's don't save settings and they are slow.

Boot time is not in your control, that depends on factors such as your BIOS.

im.saravanan
August 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
hi. I too suggest ubuntu 11.04 on pen drive. Or puppy linux on pen drive. Best and fast. It is same as live cd. You will run the os from the pen drive without installing on hard disk. if you like then install to hdd.

seawolf167
August 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Boot time generally isn't something you'll be able to control from one computer to another due to differences in computer hardware (processors, ram, BIOS, etc. etc.). If you want a minimal distro that doesn't bog down a system then you want something light weight like Puppy Linux. If however, you want to be able to "save changes" and move things from one computer to another, you'll want a USB drive based Live environment. I suggest making this with UNetBootIn (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/).

bodhi.zazen
August 18th, 2011, 08:33 PM
plz help me... i need a live cd which can boot quickly and supports wireless modems (mobiles as modem or usb modem sticks)

slitaz and tinycore.

Most wireless is going to be in the kernel, but both distros are customizable.

I2k4
August 19th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Some older computers won't boot from USB so it's necessary to use Live CD - the initial question wasn't clear on that.

I'm pretty happy running Lubuntu 10.10 from Live USB with Persistence, but for an older PC that won't boot USB, I'd be looking at Puppy Linux, which I understand runs out of RAM once it is booted, so is fast. Live CD will never boot quickly, and without Persistence the settings will not be saved between boots. But for internet browsing it should work quite well.

Obviously, research the system requirements and consider what kind of software you want to run to see if your machine will handle it with its installed RAM.