PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] where is the downloaded files frm Ubuntu software center stored?

jeshrel
August 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Hi

Where is the downloaded files from the Ubuntu software center stored after installation?

And can the downloaded files be deleted after installation?

Thank you

howefield
August 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM
FIles are stored in

/var/cache/apt/archives

and can folder can be emptied by using the terminal command

sudo apt-get clean

jeshrel
August 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM
thanks, and are there any others cleaning commands so that i can clean all the unwanted cache, thumbnails saved, and other stuff?

jerrrys
August 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
BleachBit (http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/), its in the software center

jeshrel
August 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM
thanks for ur help, appreciate it..

adeklipse
August 18th, 2011, 03:06 PM
thanks, and are there any others cleaning commands so that i can clean all the unwanted cache, thumbnails saved, and other stuff?

If you want a reliable cleaner, I suggest the one included in Ubuntu Tweak. Installation:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweakOpen in Applications > System Tools > Ubuntu Tweak.

If you're quite familiar with Linux, you might also want to try BleachBit. It's very advanced and the interface and technical lingo might be confusing, but it's fully-featured.
Just a warning, though: not all of BleachBit cleaning options are safe. Most should be treated carefully and read thoroughly to avoid the possibility of unwanted file-deletion, as it will only prompt you once (or twice).
Installation: I believe BleachBit is already in the Ubuntu Software Center.