PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help comiling and installing CHIRP

knoxemt1983
August 16th, 2011, 10:08 PM
So I am trying to install this software:

chirp.danplanet.com

on my asus eee with lucid desktop, and I can't seem to find any info on how to install it, I understand it needs to be compiled and I have tried but have never compiled anything before.
anybody know a link to a write up or have any experience with this file?

I have been trying to follow this write up on how to compile http://chirp.danplanet.com/downloads

I have made it to unpacking the tarball but am stuck on what to do next.
here is the beginning of the text I am stuck on "In the rare case of getting a program from a cvs or subversion repository, ........" etc

I will start over and try another method or whatever it takes, I'm just completely confused now. thanks for any help in advance

spiky001
August 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM
If you cd into the dir you untarred there should be a readme or install with instructions how to install

gordintoronto
August 17th, 2011, 02:27 AM
"here is the beginning of the text I am stuck on "In the rare case of getting a program from a cvs or subversion repository, ......."

What did you do which generated that message? Did you try to run the setup script?

This appears to be a bunch of python scripts, which you don't have to compile.

You might find it helpful to look at Full Circle Magazine, Issue 27, which has the first article in a series on programming in Python. It should give you some basics, even if you have no plans to modify the package.

knoxemt1983
August 17th, 2011, 03:04 AM
If you cd into the dir you untarred there should be a readme or install with instructions how to install

no readme or install file that I can find, I have managed to get the program to run, now I just need to figure out how to get it to recognize my radio

knoxemt1983
August 17th, 2011, 03:06 AM
"here is the beginning of the text I am stuck on "In the rare case of getting a program from a cvs or subversion repository, ......."

What did you do which generated that message? Did you try to run the setup script?

This appears to be a bunch of python scripts, which you don't have to compile.

You might find it helpful to look at Full Circle Magazine, Issue 27, which has the first article in a series on programming in Python. It should give you some basics, even if you have no plans to modify the package.

the txt is from the site I was using to walk me through compiling it.

ok i'll look into pythoin and the magazine. I have it running but its not "installed" so idk exactly what th deal is. thanks for the help