PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iPod not recognized. HELP.

jimkenstein
August 16th, 2011, 09:32 PM
i plug, unplug, and plug in back my iPod touch but an error message prompts:

"Unable to mount iPot
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)"

help. i wanna sync my mp3s but i cant. even gtkpod iPod Manager cant read my iPod.

dniMretsaM
August 16th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Try this:

sudo add-apt-repositoryppa:pmcenery/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove libimobiledevice1
sudo apt-get install libimobiledevice0

jimkenstein
August 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Try this:

sudo add-apt-repositoryppa:pmcenery/ppa

that first command cant be initiated. it responses "command not found". is the repository spelled correctly?

Paddy Landau
August 17th, 2011, 05:29 PM
that first command cant be initiated. it responses "command not found". is the repository spelled correctly?
There is a space missing. Try this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmcenery/ppa

jimkenstein
August 17th, 2011, 09:13 PM
There is a space missing. Try this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmcenery/ppa

still cant mount my ipod.

pi.boy.travis
August 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Do you have the brand-new iPod touch firmware? I can't get mine to work in Ubuntu 11.04 with the new firmware either. Apple invents new ways of keeping Linux from working with iPods, but usually a new kernel release fixes things up. If all else fails, try a newer kernel version, or just wait for Ubuntu 11.10 to be released.

dniMretsaM
August 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Ok, what device model and what firmware are you on. And what version of Ubuntu?

jimkenstein
August 17th, 2011, 11:38 PM
any other ubuntu experts could help here? (:

dniMretsaM
August 18th, 2011, 02:08 AM
If you answer the questions in my previous post, I might be able to help. Also, go into Synaptic and search for libimobiledevice and tell me what you see (a screenshot would work).

Paddy Landau
August 18th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Apple invents new ways of keeping Linux from working with iPods...
Apple's support for Linux is disgraceful; indeed, puzzling when you remember that the Mac operating system is much closer to Linux than to Windows.

I avoid Apple products, not because they're bad (they're actually usually excellent), but because of the lock-in.

dniMretsaM
August 18th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah, Apple's restrictions disgust me. Sadly, I have an iPod Touch (which I currently can't get to work with Linux, but that's another story). When I decide it's time to upgrade, I'm getting an old Android phone instead.

pi.boy.travis
August 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Apple's support for Linux is disgraceful; indeed, puzzling when you remember that the Mac operating system is much closer to Linux than to Windows.

I avoid Apple products, not because they're bad (they're actually usually excellent), but because of the lock-in.

It's always puzzled me. Since Mac OS X is POSIX compliant, it seems to me that porting iTunes to Linux would be a breeze compared to porting it to Windows. Apple has made some good contributions to Open Source however, remember that Apple developed CUPS, along with the (generally) excellent printer support we brag about.

pierreyy
August 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Is your ipod touch software version the newest one out?... that maybe the problem... ive connected several ipods and ipod touches to my computer and ive never had a problem... if your efforts fail then....wait until an update comes out

pi.boy.travis
August 18th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Just out of curiosity tried with vanilla kernel 3.1-rc2 and my iPod touch is working with the latest firmware.

dniMretsaM
August 19th, 2011, 12:23 AM
It's always puzzled me. Since Mac OS X is POSIX compliant, it seems to me that porting iTunes to Linux would be a breeze compared to porting it to Windows. Apple has made some good contributions to Open Source however, remember that Apple developed CUPS, along with the (generally) excellent printer support we brag about.

Apple did not develop CUPS. They bought it from Michael Sweet in 2002. It was already GPL'd when they bought it, so it still is. I can guarantee it would have been proprietary if Apple had actually started it. The only reason they bought it was so they could develop proprietary extensions.

trozamon
August 19th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I've had my iPod for a while, and the only way it works with Ubuntu for me is when it's jailbroken.

dniMretsaM
August 19th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I've had my iPod for a while, and the only way it works with Ubuntu for me is when it's jailbroken.

That shouldn't have anything to do with it I don't think.

pi.boy.travis
August 19th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Apple did not develop CUPS. They bought it from Michael Sweet in 2002. It was already GPL'd when they bought it, so it still is. I can guarantee it would have been proprietary if Apple had actually started it. The only reason they bought it was so they could develop proprietary extensions.

Wow, I didn't know that! Thanks!