PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fast navigation

Prosperox
August 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I'm very new to Ubuntu 11.04 and I'm trying to find a fast way to navigate around my folders. In my Windows O/S (XP Home) I have all my folders in the "My Documents" folder and I can quickly navigate by holding the mouse over the folder which shows me all folders, their contents and the contents of any sub-folders. On my Mac O/S (Tiger) I have the folders in the dock and by right clicking the mouse over a folder that will again show me the contents of the folder and that of any sub-folders.

It appears however that with Ubuntu I need to physically open a folder to see or select it's content. This makes navigation much slower than either my Windows or Mac set ups. Can anyone tell me of a fast way to navigate around my folders please?

Thanks in anticipation.

androssofer
August 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I'm very new to Ubuntu 11.04 and I'm trying to find a fast way to navigate around my folders. In my Windows O/S (XP Home) I have all my folders in the "My Documents" folder and I can quickly navigate by holding the mouse over the folder which shows me all folders, their contents and the contents of any sub-folders. On my Mac O/S (Tiger) I have the folders in the dock and by right clicking the mouse over a folder that will again show me the contents of the folder and that of any sub-folders.

It appears however that with Ubuntu I need to physically open a folder to see or select it's content. This makes navigation much slower than either my Windows or Mac set ups. Can anyone tell me of a fast way to navigate around my folders please?

Thanks in anticipation.

no idea if ther is an equivilant.. the closest i know of is a quicklist. this is tutorial about how to make one for your home folder.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/how-to-add-folder-quicklists-to-the-home-launcher-in-ubuntu-unity/

Prosperox
August 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your fast reply androssofer (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=304080) but I don't think this is what I'm looking for.

I suppose ideally I'd like to add a category like the "Applications", "Places" and "System" categories to the top panel showing the main folders (pictures, music, videos etc) each with a drop-down menu for it and any subfolders within the main folders. That would be great.