PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot download from software centre but can browse web fine...

jim88
August 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hi all,

I'm a complete Linux/Ubuntu newbie - just installed 11.04 yesterday on my laptop and managed to successfully download all the updates etc over my home wireless connection. However, today I've brought my laptop into work, set up the wireless connection (can browse the internet using firefox with no problems) and when i've tried to use the software centre I'm unable to download anything (Error message: "failed to download package files. Check your internet connection", "failed to fetch http://gb.arch...").

Realise it's probably something in my connection configuration but am at a complete loss as to what it could be. Any help would be awesome as the IT people here have no clue!

Cheers!

grahammechanical
August 16th, 2011, 12:07 PM
It may be nothing to do with you or your connection to the network. It could be that the servers you are downloading these packages from are not doing their job. This sometimes happens. Check out this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1823584

I had this same issue in my testing of 11.10 and could only update through the command line. But this morning I was able to use update manager without problems.

Sometimes links to packages are broken and we have to wait until it is corrected.

Regards and welcome to the forums

jim88
August 16th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Cheers for the quick reply Graham!

Just tried installing a couple of completely different things (gfortran and VLC media player) and also just doing a general update via command line but had no luck - so unless i've been very unlucky and the links have been broken for everything i've tried to install, I think something else might be causing the problem :(

Any ideas?!

realzippy
August 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
so what errors does

sudo apt-get update
give?

Paqman
August 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM
In Software Centre got to Edit > Software Sources > Download from > Other > Select best server.

It'll find the fastest server for you.

Gone fishing
August 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM
It could be your work blocks access to the content - for example they may block access to certain file types, certain websites etc.

Also does your work use a proxy? have you configured synaptic etc to use the proxy?

jim88
August 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Looks like the proxy was the problem! Have managed to configure Synaptic successfully to install stuff from there, however I still can't get software centre or command line installs to work. Can anyone tell me how I would go about changing the proxy settings for these too?

Cheers!

ofnuts
August 16th, 2011, 01:49 PM
It could be your work blocks access to the content - for example they may block access to certain file types, certain websites etc.

Also does your work use a proxy? have you configured synaptic etc to use the proxy?
Likely scenario:

- work network has a proxy
- OP set up the proxy only in his browser
- software updates use the standard routing, doesn't go through proxy and fails

Possible fix:

- setup proxy system-wide so all applications can use it

I'm not sure if Ubuntu's network managers can switch/enable the proxy automatically when switching network locations.

jim88
August 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Fixed it! Am still finding my way round Ubuntu and managed to stumble across the network connections options.

Thanks for the help guys!

Gone fishing
August 17th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Proxy from the commandline I've had a problem with try
sudo -i then the command
apt-get install whatever