PDA

View Full Version : Using Wine

alexis44
August 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I need some help. I installed Wine, and I tried to install an executable file, and it doesn't see it as an executable, although I have gone in to the properties and and changed the permissions for it. The program is IrfanView. Does Ubuntu not support this program even with Wine?

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 07:50 AM
What version on irfanview are you trying to install?

You might find some useful information here:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7834

You might need to download the MFC42.dll library to install as suggested at the wine appdb.

You can find it here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc60pro/update/1/w9xnt4/en-us/vc6redistsetup_enu.exe

Hope it helps!

alexis44
August 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
The latest version and I don't know how to install what you mentioned.

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 08:20 AM
What's the name of the .exe install file?

Go to the folder that in which it is located in your terminal and type:

wine [name of file].exe

Or you should be able to find the install file and right click and select 'Open with Wine Windows Program Loader'

JerkyMcgee
August 16th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hello, having the same sort of problem trying to run final fantasy 7 on wine. How exactly might I do that.
Setup.exe is the file and I just clicked open with wine.

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 08:33 AM
What happens when wine tries to open setup.exe?

JerkyMcgee
August 16th, 2011, 08:34 AM
What happens when wine tries to open setup.exe?
the file /Downloads/Setup.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Right click the file icon and go to the permissions tab at the top. Check the box that says 'Allow executing file as a program'

Try running it after doing that.

Let me know what happens.

JerkyMcgee
August 16th, 2011, 08:37 AM
the file /Downloads/Setup.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.
I went permissions and changed to be able to run as executable... and now I have a disc problem.. Basically my disc drive is full when I installed ubuntu i did it on daemon tools with windows and installed it. THen I started my computer and i got the windows or ubuntu option except I think my disc drives are split up weird...

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 08:38 AM
So you've got a full hard drive then?

JerkyMcgee
August 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM
So you've got a full hard drive then?
Sort of... I still have like 350 gbs free.
I think I just have to switch drives but idk how. Yes the drive I guess im trying to run this on is full.

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Are you running a partitioned install or are you using wubi?

alexis44
August 16th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Right click the file icon and go to the permissions tab at the top. Check the box that says 'Allow executing file as a program'

Try running it after doing that.

Let me know what happens.
In my case, it didn't do anything. I guess my computer can't use Wine. :confused:

JerkyMcgee
August 16th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Are you running a partitioned install or are you using wubi?
I think partitioned install, I dont really know how to check, but that wasnt my plan in the first place, I thought I was going to run it off windows IN daemon tools, but I dont even know what was supposed to happen if I did that correctly.

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM
In my case, it didn't do anything. I guess my computer can't use Wine. :confused:

I'm guessing you need to install that library file. Or you could try the install using the winetricks front end as suggested on the AppDB.

That link should be very helpful.

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I think partitioned install, I dont really know how to check, but that wasnt my plan in the first place, I thought I was going to run it off windows IN daemon tools, but I dont even know what was supposed to happen if I did that correctly.

That could be the problem.

Go to the terminal and type

df -h

and post the output. It will tell you how much disk space you have left on your currently running partition.

alexis44
August 16th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm guessing you need to install that library file. Or you could try the install using the winetricks front end as suggested on the AppDB.

That link should be very helpful.
Maybe helpful for a geek, but not for me. Thanks anyway. :(

JerkyMcgee
August 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM
That could be the problem.

Go to the terminal and type

df -hand post the output. It will tell you how much disk space you have left on your currently running partition.
/dev/loop/0 is the filesystem I'm using on this partition. (I dont know why...)
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop0 17G 16G 16K 100% /

While windows is mounted on host and that has tons of space. (400g)
MAybe I could go back onto windows and change the mount for ubuntu or something? OR would you suggest something else all together...?

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Not sure. It looks as though you installed using wubi.

Did you install ubuntu with an interface that looks like the pic behind this link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ubuntu_10.04_Wubi.PNG

JerkyMcgee
August 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Not sure. It looks as though you installed using wubi.

Did you install ubuntu with an interface that looks like the pic behind this link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ubuntu_10.04_Wubi.PNG
I cant really remember...
But I remember it asking me some sort of partition question and I said that I didn't want a partition, although with my knowledge of what a partition is, it seems like I have one? I can access my windows files while I'm using ubuntu if that means anything.

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM
My guess is you did install using wubi. It kind of emulates a partition of it's own where you can't use more than that in ubuntu.

IF you do want to play games and other larger applications, I would recommend reinstalling ubuntu with a larger partition. Create a livecd from the .iso file and you can easily partition the drive sizes.

alexis44
August 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
WOOHOO! I did it! I installed Irfanview! I thought it was a lost cause! Now I have to figure out how to install the plug-ins! Thanks for your help!!

kyletstrand
August 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Glad you got it to work!

alexis44
August 16th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Glad you got it to work!
Yes, me too. I've always loved IrfanView. It's the best viewer and not a bad editor. It may take some time to figure out the plug-ins and where they're located on my computer, but other than that, I'm fine. :D

alexis44
August 16th, 2011, 01:04 PM
It appears that certain programs work with Wine and others don't. IrfanView seems to have worked, and a game like Hangaroo does, but Media Player Classic doesn't seem to. Do you seem to know why this is, and what programs won't work with Wine.

JerkyMcgee
August 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM
My guess is you did install using wubi. It kind of emulates a partition of it's own where you can't use more than that in ubuntu.

IF you do want to play games and other larger applications, I would recommend reinstalling ubuntu with a larger partition. Create a livecd from the .iso file and you can easily partition the drive sizes.
A livecd... my laptop doesnt even have a dvd rom drive !!
Yes, I want to make a bigger drive for Ubuntu, I don't really know how to go about that though. How can I transfer all my information over instead of actually reinstalling it fresh?