PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I use Ubuntu 11.04 ???

everettlf
August 16th, 2011, 05:43 AM
A few months ago I installed an earlier version of Ubuntu. I think it was 9 alongside of Windows. Recently I installed a separate Hardrive for Ubuntu and have installed 11.04 (at least that is what I think it is.

The desktop is completely different and I am completely confused. I have searched for some basic instructions and all I have found is instructions on how to install it. I cannot find any of the menus that I had in the earlier version- just a column of icons along the left side of the screen. I would appreciate some help.

Everett

AbeFM
August 16th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Along the same lines as the original poster - if I run something from the left handed launch menu (home folder or shell).... Then I want to run another one... I don't seem to be able to. Once again, the old system seemed easier!

I, too, would like to use the new system, but it seems to have more great looks and less great taste. Any suggestions - I've tried left/right clicking, alt-click, etc....

Alwimo
August 16th, 2011, 05:58 AM
A few months ago I installed an earlier version of Ubuntu. I think it was 9 alongside of Windows. Recently I installed a separate Hardrive for Ubuntu and have installed 11.04 (at least that is what I think it is.

The desktop is completely different and I am completely confused. I have searched for some basic instructions and all I have found is instructions on how to install it. I cannot find any of the menus that I had in the earlier version- just a column of icons along the left side of the screen. I would appreciate some help.

Everett
The menus are hiding at the top of the screen and will appear when you move your mouse over them. Move your mouse to the title of the window that is on the left side of the top bar and you should see them appear.

Alwimo
August 16th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Along the same lines as the original poster - if I run something from the left handed launch menu (home folder or shell).... Then I want to run another one... I don't seem to be able to. Once again, the old system seemed easier!

I, too, would like to use the new system, but it seems to have more great looks and less great taste. Any suggestions - I've tried left/right clicking, alt-click, etc....
I'm going from memory here.
Right-clicking on the icon in the launcher on the left hand side should open up a menu that includes something to the effect of "Open in New Window". Middle-clicking, or clicking left and right mouse buttons together, also does this.

b0b138
August 16th, 2011, 06:07 AM
What you are seeing is the new Unity desktop. Some people like it, some don't.

If you want the normal Gnome desktop you're used too, at the logon screen (or logout to get to it if you setup auto login) you're supposed to be able to change your desktop enviroment, ie. unity or gnome

Megaptera
August 16th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Hi Everett,
A useful guide with screenshots here: http://omgubuntu.co.uk/natty/

Hope it helps?

kmsalex
August 16th, 2011, 07:54 AM
What you are seeing is the new Unity desktop. Some people like it, some don't.

If you want the normal Gnome desktop you're used too, at the logon screen (or logout to get to it if you setup auto login) you're supposed to be able to change your desktop enviroment, ie. unity or gnome

This ^^

But don't get to used to that option, probably won't be there by the time 12.04 rolls around. since you just installed it should be to much dram for you to reinstall, what you might do well with Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/)
its based of ubuntu and as of the latest version (11) is using the old gnome (2.32) its also designed in mind of x-windows users a bit more then straight ubuntu.

garvinrick4
August 16th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Post 6 gave you a nice link, I have learned to enjoy Unity myself.
My name is Rick and I got a little nephew with a bit of lisp and when
I tell him he is good at a video game and he says to me
"Uncle Wick you just gotta pwactice"
Same learning curve as Windows or Mac's or Classic Gnome just takes a little time
and some pwactice.

AbeFM
August 16th, 2011, 07:56 PM
That was the same thing my buddy told me - right click or shift click, etc. As I mentioned, I tried all that. It seems that functionality has been simplified away. From memory, there's a way. But (unless I'm missing something) in practice, there isn't. Menu/places is the only way to get another folder open, and options new command prompt is the only way to get another CLI.

If someone knows of a way (or you try it and it works on your machine but not mine) I'd love to hear about it.

The menus are hiding at the top of the screen and will appear when you move your mouse over them. Move your mouse to the title of the window that is on the left side of the top bar and you should see them appear.

Same issue. I've tried this. Some things are there, but (unless I'm missing something - and I sure and truly hope I am) THOSE menus are gone. No "Games", no "administration". A menu appears, but not one with all programs grouped by their function.

Middle mouse click to create a new window
If you've already got an application open and want to open a new window, middle mouse click on the application's icon.

If you're on a laptop and don't have a middle mouse button, tap the touchpad with two fingers or press both mouse 1 and mouse 2 at the same time. from http://omgubuntu.co.uk/natty/#launcher

AbeFM
August 16th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Relevant sections to my other question:

Filter applications by category
Don't know the name of the application you're looking for? No worries. Narrow down the results by choosing a category such as Internet, Multimedia, or even Preferences and you might have more luck finding what you want.
Guess I'll have to try this one in person. In the past, I've typed "games" and had no luck, perhaps Internet and Multimedia is all that's supported?

Use the Applications and Places lenses
Unity has separate "Lenses" that give you easy access to your Applications, and Files and Folders. You can access them by clicking the icons near the bottom of the Launcher.
These Lenses work much the same way as the main Dash, except that they are specialized for a particular job.
Again, memory fails me. I haven't seen this one.

(Just putting this up in case someone else has the same issues)

Megaptera
August 16th, 2011, 08:12 PM

You're welcome!