PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Preping the move: Can you save all settings for all programs?

Lucypie
August 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Okay. I plan on moving my dad over from a 10.10 wubi installation to a 11.04 full installation. I'm gonna need a little help. He's not one big on redoing all the settings. I don't mind it, but if I have to do it manually, I would have to do it past midnight (when I have plenty of peace and quiet and nobody sniffing down my neck making sure I "do it right" xD). I would prefer though, being able to just copy over the files or use a program and have everything ready so he could just have it ready really quick. Is there any way to backup or quickly redo settings SAFELY? I don't want to just copy /home/ because I did that and flubbered my computer up. If there are parts of /home/ that are SAFE to copy without flubbering up certain things, I would do it. If so, please tell me what and how. Thanks for any information! (PS sorry for asking so dern many questions... If you've helped me before or help me now, I thank you to no end. I would have already gone bald from pulling my own hair out if it were not for this community...!)

TeoBigusGeekus
August 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Look for specific folders with settings and copy them:
~/.opera - opera browser settings. Something similar should exist for Chrome or Firefox
~/.thunderbird - thunderbird settings
~/.libreoffice
and so on.

Lucypie
August 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
And this won't mess up the actual program or make it act all crazy, right?

Elfy
August 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I never bother with a seperate /home any longer - all I ever do is copy a few system files and some of the .files in /home.

Not acted crazy for me yet

hakermania
August 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM
And ~/.config/ contains configuration settings for some programs as well.