PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Add packages w/o messing it up

flyfishingphil
August 15th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Just changed over to 11.04 so I'm still figuring it all out. Takes a little adjusting to the sidebar system, but it's workable and easy to get used to.

Now some questions regrading "adding" to what's installed. I don't want to mess anything up, like I did in 10.04, so figured I'd ask here before adding anything.

Looking thru what's available I noticed a few that look like they may be worth having.

1. GDebi Package Installer = 2 of these. 1 does just gdebi the other does gdebi-kde. Any need for either of these? Do they make installing anything easier and less mistake prone?

2. Deja Dup Backup Tool. When I decided to clean install, and wipe out everything I hope, to 11.04 I saved files on a Maxtor external drive. After installing the 11.04 I added everything back, in a Desktop folder and it all seems to work fine. Does this program do a total backup, in case there is a crash, and is it recommended?

3. Anybody use Password Gorilla? Worth having?

4. Storage Device Manager. Is this a recommended part for doing the backup using something like the Deja Dup?

EDIT:

5. Tried installing some of the games, no show, so looked at the "More info" and noticed they referred to the GNome Desktop. Is this something I need to install to play most of the games available? Any conflict with the 11.04 "standards"?

6. Is there a program available that will allow me to "work" on/with my Sony Ericsson cell phone? Ubuntu 10.04 would not connect, tried Wine-wasted effort, requiring install of VBox and WinXP. (Bad time with VBox) Suggestions?

Thanks for the assist.