View Full Version : [other] Quality of eeepc?

August 14th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I need a little, not very powerful, cheap netbook, that works great with ubuntu for school. I know all about the Asus eeepc product line and how well it works with linux. I have however read many reviews online on places like Amazon where people give the specific eeepc 1 star saying that its cheap and breaks after only a couple months. Should I be alarmed by this, or are these just the non-techy people being stupid? I really need this netbook to last at least 4 years. All help of any kind is greatly appreciated.

August 14th, 2011, 01:40 AM
bump, will be leaving for a week long trip tomorrow so don't be surprised if i don't respond for a while.

August 14th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Which specific model are you interested in?

I have an ASUS EEE 900ha that I've had for about 3 years. In general it still works very well, but the battery no longer holds a charge and there is 1 stuck key on the keyboard. Netbooks are intended to be cheap/disposable and 4 years might be pushing your luck.

August 14th, 2011, 02:10 AM
If I had to choose an eeepc it would be the 1015PEM:

Although, I have been looking at other eeepcs and other netbook companies.

August 14th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Make sure you use the forum Search feature. There are several threads on the 1015PEM including this one:

August 14th, 2011, 05:29 AM
You may also want to look into the 1018p. I believe it's pretty similar (from what I can remember) to the 1015 variations.

You may also want to check out: http://forum.eeeuser.com/
for people with personal experiences with them. I did end up getting an EeePC myself, but am sort of weary as to how long it'll last. The structural integrity seems fine on mine, but after reading a few posts on that forum I'm a little worried about cracked screens (And I'll be hauling it back and forth to class)

August 14th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I am using the 1001px with the carbon fiber body. Everything works out of the box, and I can use the super engine feature by installing Jupiter. Have 64 bit Ubuntu 11.04 on it, no problems. I have used the 1005 in the past and had no issues with it either. They are tough little netbooks, and mine is a backpack all day, getting a fair share of knocks. I would recommend you get the 6 cell battery and the 2GB of ram. The 64 bit makes very good use of all the ram it can get. Just my experience. Good luck.

August 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I have the 1215n and i love it yea its a 12.1 screen but dual core with 2gb of ram and a dedicated video card cant really go wrong:D

August 17th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I have a 1001HA which came with Windows7 Starter. Now I know why. Its pathetic with the full version of Windows 7. I've mostly had Ubuntu on it since I bought it though, and its never missed a beat. Worth mentioning is that it seems there is some variation in the internal hardware depending on where you are in the world. My version has Atheros wireless, some have Ralink. I discovered this when I was trying to Hackintosh it. There may be other components which differ, as well.

Anyway, I've had it now for about 18 months, I think, and its never missed a beat with Ubuntu on board. I first ran 9.04, then 9.10, then 10.04 which it hated, 10.10 was fine and now 11.04 which has been wonderful. I do NOT use the "Unity" UI, just don't like it. I have one panel, plus Docky with my most used apps, and both of these autohide.

The only annoyance I find is that the 10" screen is just a tad too small. If I buy another netbook at any time, it will be with a 12" screen. (More likely I'll go mac with 13" though)

August 17th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I have a 1000H that I bought two years ago. Dual booting with Windows 7 pro and Backtrack 5 and believe that OS performance is very acceptable for basic internet surfing and using office applications. I have used my eee pc for college over the past two years and am very happy with its portability, durability and performance (especially for its low end atom proc). For a college student, netbooks are fairly cheap and durable. I highly recommend the eee pc.

August 23rd, 2011, 02:42 AM
Paid $250 for 1015B with 2GB RAM, 320GB hdd and AMD C50 with ATI Radeon which does HDMI, cant' find a better deal than that, the netbook feels far solid than HP and Lenovo offerings at higher price, only SONY YB series is better built but that comes at price of two 1015Bs.